Housing
What size is your tank? 10 gallon
What temperature is your tank? 79 degrees
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Yes aerated cave
Is your tank heated? Yes Top Fin 50 Watt
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Betta Min & Top Fin Freeze Dried Bloodworms as an occasional treat
How often do you feed your betta fish? 1 time a day with 1 day fasting.

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? Every week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? At least 30%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Aqueon Betta Bowl (I fill it using old distilled water jugs and add the de-chlorinator to each jug before it goes in the tank.)

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite:0ppm
Nitrate:0ppm
pH: 7.2ish (although he is used to 7.6ish I speculate it could be the new aeration rock)
Hardness: idk
Alkalinity: idk

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
Dinq has been tail biting lately and just recently had a water change. His upper fins I speculate were damaged due to a plastic plant which was removed from him tank. His back tail was split lately, but doesn't show any signs of fin rot, just him chomping it. I'm sure it was due to stress. He is obsessed with himself and was constantly seeing his reflection in the tank no matter what. Most of the time I had to leave lights off because he was constantly flaring more and more. So, he also just got a new cling on background yesterday and now cannot see himself at all. He also has no more new bites in his tail, so I think we solved that problem, but now, he's acting very strange. My husband thinks i'm crazy, but he's just not being himself.
He's very sluggish when before he was constantly zooming around his tank (he's a glass surfer). He keeps on parking himself in the corners and just sits there at the top and stares. He also has been making a habit of nose diving into this plant and getting stuck upside down, but making no effort to move for at least 5-10 seconds. He used to never bother much with his rock cave, but I found him swimming in there earlier at the bottom just sitting there, which is weird for him because he's ALWAYS swimming unless he's sleeping, which he usually slept behind the cave near the heater and his precious bubbles. I also noticed since he's not flaring he isn't as poofy, but he usually had a little more fluffiness when he was swimming around. His fins aren't clamped, just sad.

I also noticed that his gill area seems whiter than usual. He's always had a whiteness under his gill area and always had white patchiness to his head, which are his freckles. But, this seems to be more wide spread than it normally has been. I was thinking MAYBE columnaris/flex? I don't want to treat if I don't have to.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? See above. kinda summed it up.
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Yesterday. He recently had a 75% water change due to nitrates/nitrites being up a little. He has been spitting food and I think he does it just so I can't fish out the ones he doesn't eat, but this has been a lot lately. I also read about gill problems somewhere and yawning. I didn't think much of it, but he yawns frequently, however, he doesn't have any nitrate/ite or ammonia problems.

I wasn't sure if he was okay last night, so I also did another 20% water change, since i did just recently also install a new heater in his tank to keep him a little warmer. His other tank was only holding the tank at 76 degrees and was pre-set.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? I haven't treated him yet. The only thing I have added to the water is aquarium salt. To help regenerate the fins he nommed off.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No. He's always been happy and perky.
How old is your fish (approximately)?Not sure. He's fully mature. I'm speculating that he could be older. I've had him since January 16th of this year. So I haven't owned him long.

He's my prized possession and the only pet I have. He's been there for me through a good portion of my husband's final school for Nukes and I would probably be so heartbroken if something happened to him.

I will try to post pictures of the whiteness I am referring to. Any input would be fantastic. Thanks in advance!
USNavyWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 01:37 PM   #2 
USNavyWife

Here's Some Pictures (Large So You Can See Better)

This is what he looks like. The white doesn't look cottony though, which has me confused. You can clearly see the whiteness around the gills, any ideas?

This is a picture of him healthy:
USNavyWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 02:44 PM   #3 
Oldfishlady

The whiteness around/under the gill area-if I am seeing what you are talking about-looks like normal pigment-often as the Betta ages they will show more white scaling, more hump backed, droopy fins, decrease in activity and appetite-not saying that is what is wrong with your fella....but just signs of aging....Lovely fella by the way....

Sometimes the long heavy fin males can have fin issues due to water movement and space-but since you have a fin biter and glass surfer-as I am sure you already know and understand-that is some of the problem too.

What I would recommend at this point-use a small bare container to QT and start aquarium salt 2tsp/gal and tannins-if you have a tannin source-either IAL or dried Oak leaf

Premix the treatment water in a 1gal jug of dechlorinated water-Add the salt and tannin source-let this steep for 30min to start releasing the tannins and salt to dissolve

The tannins have antibacterial/fungal properties, can help toughen fins and scales, help to ease stress-the longer the tannin source steeps the more tannins released the darker the water the better and the more the Betta will like it.

If you have any Oak trees free of pesticides-collect 18-20 naturally dried and fallen from the tree Oak leaves-crush and add to the 1gal jug-if you don't have any IAL-don't worry if any of the Oak leaf bits get into the water with the Betta.....

Using this premixed treatment water-make 25% water changes every 15min for 1 hour today-keeping him in the small QT and treatment water for the duration of the 10 day treatment-float the QT in the heated tank to maintain the temp in the 77-78F range

Tomorrow start 50% water changes with the premixed treatment water daily for 3 days-On day 4 make back to back 50%...repeat this schedule for 10 days-

Then make a 50% water change on the 10gal and use the freshened water from the 10 gal to start re-acclimating him back to his tank-

Nutrition-good quality varied diet in small frequent meals and if you have access to mosquito larva-off several rinsed for one meal a day to boost protein...

Good luck......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote