Housing
What size is your tank? 10 G
What temperature is your tank? 80F
Does your tank have a filter? Sponge filter
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Sponge filter
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None/live plants

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? HBH Betta Bites, tropical flake foods
How often do you feed your betta fish? Once every day

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? Once a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 25
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Chlorine/Chloramine remover

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? No, I =just= ran out of test strips..

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Yes, orange patches on skin, mouth looks suddenly mashed/deformed
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Doesn't move much, seems depressed
When did you start noticing the symptoms? 3 days ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Aquarium salt, about to add Melafix
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately)? Unknown

He was recently in waters that had another betta, with the SAME symptoms die. I rescued him from my sister's betta bowl, LOL. She didn't change the water/decor from her last dead betta. I will post pictures in a few minutes (Gotta synch to computer)
Sasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 02:39 PM   #2 
Pataflafla

I highly recommend not using melafix at all, but especially not in combination with aquarium salt. It's never a good idea to mix aquarium salt with any medication unless the fish is a brackish or salt water fish. Not good for bettas.

Melafix is not recommended since it contains tea tree oil, which harms the labrynth organ by creating a film on the top of the water, which then coats the organ when a betta goes to breathe.

the suddenness makes me thinks it's a serious bacterial or fungal issue. I suggest a strong medication like Maracyn to see if that helps.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 02:46 PM   #3 
Sasa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pataflafla View Post
I highly recommend not using melafix at all, but especially not in combination with aquarium salt. It's never a good idea to mix aquarium salt with any medication unless the fish is a brackish or salt water fish. Not good for bettas.

Melafix is not recommended since it contains tea tree oil, which harms the labrynth organ by creating a film on the top of the water, which then coats the organ when a betta goes to breathe.

the suddenness makes me thinks it's a serious bacterial or fungal issue. I suggest a strong medication like Maracyn to see if that helps.
Ah thanks for the info. I usually used that combo with my guppies and it always made a world of a difference, but I'm fairly new to bettas and still learning.

Here's a picture of him, the orange patches are on his head area right now, he did have one on his side too.
Old 03-11-2012, 02:50 PM   #4 
Pataflafla

Based on his lower lip, I'd treat this as a fungal issue and see if that helps any. find a medication that treats fungus specifically or try a different aquarium salt method.

Try starting out at 1 tsp/gal and slowly moving up to 3 tsp/gal over the course of 24-48 hours (Watch for signs of distress when you raise the dose and be prepared to move him back down if he can't handle the dose he reacts to). With this method, you'll want to do 100% daily changes, so putting him a smaller container for the treatment comes in handy.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 02:58 PM   #5 
Sasa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pataflafla View Post
Based on his lower lip, I'd treat this as a fungal issue and see if that helps any. find a medication that treats fungus specifically or try a different aquarium salt method.

Try starting out at 1 tsp/gal and slowly moving up to 3 tsp/gal over the course of 24-48 hours (Watch for signs of distress when you raise the dose and be prepared to move him back down if he can't handle the dose he reacts to). With this method, you'll want to do 100% daily changes, so putting him a smaller container for the treatment comes in handy.
Ok, I will try that. :) I really help things turn out alright.. Thank you!