558 views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  Pataflafla 
#1 ·
Housing
What size is your tank? Divided 10 gallon
What temperature is your tank? 77
Does your tank have a filter? no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? Moonshoes Potter (Divided tank)

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Topfin pellets, FD Bloodworms, FD Krill, FD Spirulina
How often do you feed your betta fish? Twice a day, 1 day fasting

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Once a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 80-90%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Tetra Aquasafe Plus

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?White nub sticking out of chin, gets longer and smaller (This morning it wasn't there, an hour later it was)
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? No change
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Thursday
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? QT, 1 tsp/gal aquarium salt and 100% daily changes
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately)? I'd say a year or over

He's being a butt right now and not cooperating with pictures, but for the nub, it looks like in ick spot, but it will get long and thin if he's still for a while and I'm not gawking at him. It is not ick since it is only on his chin and it hasn't spread to anywhere else on him or to Moonshoes.

I'm going to start him on either Jungle or General Cure today since the aquarium salt hasn't been effective for him and the nub hasn't shown any aversion to it. I'm just curious as to what it might be. I'm leaning towards a parasite since it will move in and out of his chin a little bit.

I'll try and get a picture of it, but no guarantees.

See less See more
#3 ·
It's about the thickness of sewing thread, but it doesn't seem to get very long.

He really hasn't changed his behavior or eating habits, just been his regular mopey self. I'll be starting him on General Cure. Hopefully whatever he has won't be resilient to medication.

Do flukes spread quickly to other fish? Moonshoes has shown no signs of them at all. don't want to treat him if it's not necessary, but if they do spread, then I'll just treat the whole tank.

#4 ·
I don't know about spreading to other fish, Scuzi lives by himself. He only has them on his face. What my boy has, is very resilient. They came back after being treated with anti parasite meds.

Hopefully someone else will be able to comment. I could really use an answer myself.

#5 ·
I started the General Cure and Starscream is already being a drama queen about it. He went from mopey in his cup to acting like he's dying (But only when I go over to look at him. I think I lost all my progress with associating myself with food now. Looks like I'll have to wait a while longer for wiggles now). At least he's still flaring and being grumpy to Moonshoes, even if he gives up as soon as Moonshoes starts to flare at him.

#8 ·
The skin around the white nub has started to raise a little bit, but it hasn't deterred Starscream from anything. I've got another 24 hours before I can redose the medication.

I'm thinking it is some sort of parasite and that the medication is working to some effect. Perhaps whatever it is is finally popping all the way out of his face.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.