Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-12-2012, 10:51 AM   #11 
MrVampire181
Member
 
MrVampire181's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaisyDawgThirteen View Post
I have a question, can you spawn them in the same tank you'll use as a grow-out?

BTW, Sorry about all of the questions, I'm fascinated by betta breeding. :D
I wouldn't because the pair will lose each other and the fry will have to look harder for food during the first weeks.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 11:54 AM   #12 
MaisyDawgThirteen
Member
 
MaisyDawgThirteen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVampire181 View Post
I wouldn't because the pair will lose each other and the fry will have to look harder for food during the first weeks.
So it's best to spawn in a small-ish tank (eg. 10 Gallons) and use a larger tank for growout (eg. 30 Gallons)?
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 12:45 PM   #13 
tpocicat
Member
 
tpocicat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Fresno, Ca
^That's what I do unless the number of fry is very tiny, say 10-20 then I would leave them in the spawning tank.
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 02:41 PM   #14 
MrVampire181
Member
 
MrVampire181's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpocicat View Post
^That's what I do unless the number of fry is very tiny, say 10-20 then I would leave them in the spawning tank.
Agreed. But for best growth they require some space. I judge which grow out they go into after about 3 weeks when I can see how many will survive.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 06:17 PM   #15 
MaisyDawgThirteen
Member
 
MaisyDawgThirteen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVampire181 View Post
Agreed. But for best growth they require some space. I judge which grow out they go into after about 3 weeks when I can see how many will survive.
Is there any way to control the size of a spawn?
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 09:05 PM   #16 
styggian
Member
 
styggian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Wisconsin
The easiest way is to cull the undesirable fry.
styggian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 09:13 PM   #17 
MrVampire181
Member
 
MrVampire181's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Colorado
Set up a 10 gallon spawn tank for the whites. I'll use the other tubs for my Salamander and marble pairs. Just got to get a bulb for my tank hood.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 12:15 AM   #18 
Luimeril
Member
 
Luimeril's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: South Carolina
i'm eyeballing the guppies. :I because reasons. xD

gawd, i wish Ma would let me get that many tanks. of those sizes. i want a 30 for goldies one day.

and that reminds me... i'm running low on good food. :I my current is a mixture of NLS Grow, Attison's, i think, and some other food i had to crush and ended up powdering on accident. i need to buy some more. :B
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 12:33 AM   #19 
MrVampire181
Member
 
MrVampire181's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luimeril View Post
i'm eyeballing the guppies. :I because reasons. xD

gawd, i wish Ma would let me get that many tanks. of those sizes. i want a 30 for goldies one day.

and that reminds me... i'm running low on good food. :I my current is a mixture of NLS Grow, Attison's, i think, and some other food i had to crush and ended up powdering on accident. i need to buy some more. :B
I'll probably ship out your fish the 2nd week of April. I think there's a young male. I have one confirmed but I need him so if the other one turns out to be male he'll go to you. I'll throw some extra food in (I have plenty).
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 02:01 AM   #20 
Luimeril
Member
 
Luimeril's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: South Carolina
whoo! \o/ males!

that gives me time to get off my lazy butt and actually CLEAN the 10. :I

and thanks. x-x i got enough to last a while, but with 12 bettas, it's gonna go fast. :I that's my 10, plus Stephano, and my brother's boy.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
breeding project Curlyfatbottom Breeding Betta Fish 36 12-28-2011 06:44 PM
End of the year breeding project Curlyfatbottom Breeding Betta Fish 0 10-04-2011 03:34 PM
My next breeding project Xxl3eAsTxX Breeding Betta Fish 22 03-15-2011 07:54 AM
My Breeding Project Duncan13 Breeding Betta Fish 33 11-25-2010 05:49 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.