Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-25-2012, 05:05 PM   #81 
styggian

Yep, that's my main concern, but I have an idea for mass heating of jars. Placing the jars in a larger tub with a heater and something to circulate the water may work out. I do plan to cull fry though to reduce the numbers. I already have a few with swimming issues I'll need to take care of, but I'm waiting longer to see if they sort themselves out and so I can get a bottle of clove oil for sedation first.
styggian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 07:33 PM   #82 
bettalover2033

Quote:
Originally Posted by styggian View Post
Yep, that's my main concern, but I have an idea for mass heating of jars. Placing the jars in a larger tub with a heater and something to circulate the water may work out. I do plan to cull fry though to reduce the numbers. I already have a few with swimming issues I'll need to take care of, but I'm waiting longer to see if they sort themselves out and so I can get a bottle of clove oil for sedation first.
As much I hate listening and reading about culling, it is something that MUST be done and is in the responsibility of the breeder.

It does take a bit if someone does it for the first time. I dont know from experience as I really have never had to cull before. I'm sure in future spawns I will. Still trying to stay away from the day I do. This is another reason I'd like to have a big fish such as an Oscar.

@MrVampire: Anyway...I think the drip system is a really good idea and will help a lot when its up and running. Very beneficial and a smart way to go.
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 07:38 PM   #83 
styggian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettalover2033 View Post
As much I hate listening and reading about culling, it is something that MUST be done and is in the responsibility of the breeder.

It does take a bit if someone does it for the first time. I dont know from experience as I really have never had to cull before. I'm sure in future spawns I will. Still trying to stay away from the day I do. This is another reason I'd like to have a big fish such as an Oscar.

@MrVampire: Anyway...I think the drip system is a really good idea and will help a lot when its up and running. Very beneficial and a smart way to go.
I understand. I don't WANT to do it, but I know there will be fry that will need it, and it is much more humane than other options. Hopefully, I won't need to, but it's something I had to resolve myself to before deciding I wanted to do this.
Old 03-25-2012, 08:55 PM   #84 
bettalover2033

I agree completely!
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 12:58 AM   #85 
MrVampire181

AAAAAAAANNNNDDD I have the whites and marbles in the tubs. The blues are acclimating.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 02:08 AM   #86 
MrVampire181

Everyone is in! Blue plakats and HMs. I added my green PK female and my "imbellis" male to a Thai breeding set up just to try it out (a first for me!). Let the game begin.
Old 03-26-2012, 02:10 AM   #87 
styggian

Pics or it didn't happen! :p
Old 03-26-2012, 02:13 AM   #88 
MrVampire181

Tomorrow! Lol. I got to Denver at like 9:30 and didn't get home till 11 and I'm DEAD with all this stuff. Major pic/video spam tomorrow.
Old 03-26-2012, 02:16 AM   #89 
sparkyjoe

I'm following this thread closely. Even though I'm not a breeder I've learned a lot! Plus, I may just have to get one a fry from one of these pairs.
sparkyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 02:19 AM   #90 
MrVampire181

That's how I learned! I used to stalk every spawn log I could to figure out how to best raise and spawn my fish.