Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-11-2012, 04:05 PM   #1 
MadameDesu

Meet the New Girl!

Hello! On Friday, I went to the pet store to (finally) get my fish, and here she is!
I was originally going to get a male, but she was the first one to look at me and I saw something in her eyes. We connected. Is that weird? Hahahaha
She was very spunky and attentive, so we were a good match. I named her Rosie, for Rosie the Riveter.
She's been doing well, but I worry about her getting too close to the filter, so I moved her pineapple in front of it. She got sucked to it a few times, but easily escaped. Hopefully she'll learn to keep away.

She enjoys popping the bubbles that come out of the filter and chasing her reflection around the aquarium. Hopefully she learn she's alone! She's just so cute! She recognizes me already and likes to beat her little fins when she sees me! I never realized a fish could have a personality!

Any comments or recommendations related to my setup would be greatly appreciated! The filter is working well, but the water is a tad cloudy. I'm hoping that's just the bacterial filter being established, though.

- MadameDesu
Attached Images

MadameDesu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 04:26 PM   #2 
mattoboy

Awee shes cute! Is she a veiltail female? And nice tank setup! The pineapple is adorable, where did you get it?
mattoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 05:22 PM   #3 
grim

She looks great, congratulations! The tank is neat too.
I have a similar story with Andariel. The first one that started following me around was her. It was love at first sight :)
grim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 05:23 PM   #4 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

O-O she looks like she could be a male. Gorgeous.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 05:39 PM   #5 
MadameDesu

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattoboy View Post
Awee shes cute! Is she a veiltail female? And nice tank setup! The pineapple is adorable, where did you get it?
Yup, she's a red veiltail with some blue on her scales!
I got the pinneapple on amazon.com, but they do sell them at pet stores in a small and large size. I think mine is 6 inches.

@Olympia, you can't see her eggtube in the picture, but she's definitely a girl! ;)

-MadameDesu

Last edited by MadameDesu; 03-11-2012 at 05:43 PM.
Old 03-11-2012, 06:44 PM   #6 
damo2904

Very nice betta, She could just be a female with long finnage, but I would keep an eye on her, she does look like a young VT male in the first picture, that caudal looks as though with time it'll droop if gets any longer. :S
damo2904 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 08:28 PM   #7 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Young males have been known to carry those egg spot things as well. o-O Weird, I know.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 10:32 PM   #8 
MadameDesu

Quote:
Originally Posted by damo2904 View Post
Very nice betta, She could just be a female with long finnage, but I would keep an eye on her, she does look like a young VT male in the first picture, that caudal looks as though with time it'll droop if gets any longer. :S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
Young males have been known to carry those egg spot things as well. o-O Weird, I know.
I certainly hope it does turn out to be a girl. It'll be a little hard to explain to friends why I named a boy fish "Rosie" -__-
Old 03-11-2012, 10:55 PM   #9 
MadameDesu

Now I'm starting to worry ... hahaha well I've bonded with a her, not a he, so if it does turn out to be a male, things will get interesting.

Here's another (fuzzy) picture that show her features and egg spot a bit more. What do you guys think?

-MadameDesu
Attached Images

Old 03-12-2012, 06:27 AM   #10 
damo2904

The best way to tell if it's a male is try putting a mirror in front of it, if it flares I would say you maybe looking at a male, females don't usually tend to be bothered with their reflection. Also are the ventral fins quite long?
damo2904 is offline   Reply With Quote