Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-29-2012, 07:27 PM   #1 
Thebettaqueen

Well..This made me angry..

Well. Recently, a friend of mine has been getting bettas.
No, no. Not all at once. I mean, new bettas. They keep passing on due to lack of care. I mean, her last fish..she didn't clean his bowl at all!
She said she got lazy, and she just liked to look at him, and once he passed away...She LEFT him in the bowl for about THREE days. THREE. Just sitting at the bottom.
She's careless, lazy, and down right mean. Just..mean in general.
I don't know why I'm still friends with her.

Anyway. What should I do? I tired to tell her the proper care, but she just..literally tells me to shut up. That she knows what she's doing. Ugh. She's going to be on her third fish soon. " Three's the charm c:" Ugh..
I don't want her killing another fish..
Thebettaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 07:39 PM   #2 
BettaFishLuver

That is excactly how my sister is! I just sneak around and do the water changes for her ;)
BettaFishLuver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 07:40 PM   #3 
XxBettaLoverxX

I have a friend that is somewhat like this. I have tried to tell her what she needs when her fish are sick and showed her the medications I have but she just says "Yea, well I don't care" so she just let's her fish die. And her excuse is that they're Wal-mart fish

I would say that if she lives close by the least you could do is go over there every day and care for the poor helpless fish yourself. Which I have had to do on a number of occasions.
XxBettaLoverxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 07:42 PM   #4 
Thebettaqueen

@Bettafishlove Aw DX I wish I could do that, but sadly, she's kinda far DX

@Bettalover It's sad really. I mean, she just likes the fish because of how it looks. It makes me angry. So, so angry >.< Sadly, I can't DX I would if I could, but knowing her. She'd kick me out anyway.
Old 02-29-2012, 11:05 PM   #5 
freemike

I think a lot of people look at the cost of it. It's easier to just buy new ones sadly. Do I buy the $10 box of medication my fish needs or do I just let it die and try with a new one? I personally wish it costed more to get the actual fish. Maybe if people put more than $4 in them they might actually care if they died and how to properly care for it. It probably wouldn't matter though... some people will never get rid of the it's just a fish mentality.
freemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 05:20 AM   #6 
BettaFishLuver

You could always buy her a bigger tank. :) maybe that will get her to pay more attention to her fish, and care for it more? Maybe then it would be a bigger decoration that she wants to keep nice for all her friends to see? I don't know, but maybe that would help? My sister would kill me if she found out I was taking care of her fish!

Last edited by BettaFishLuver; 03-01-2012 at 05:22 AM.
BettaFishLuver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 07:58 AM   #7 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Yea one of my friends on facebook posted a photo of his betta bowl.. he was just sitting on a decoration all depressed. The caption was "he's been like this for 2 days.. I think I broke my fish" A bunch of people liked the photo and made jokes about it. I didn't wanna say anything just cuz I barely know the person. Lol instead I posted photos of my betta in their nice homes on, don't think it helped. :/
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 08:25 AM   #8 
nel3

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemike View Post
I think a lot of people look at the cost of it. It's easier to just buy new ones sadly. Do I buy the $10 box of medication my fish needs or do I just let it die and try with a new one? I personally wish it costed more to get the actual fish. Maybe if people put more than $4 in them they might actually care if they died and how to properly care for it. It probably wouldn't matter though... some people will never get rid of the it's just a fish mentality.
thats one thing i despise about betta fish popularity that people carch on to. i bought some API general cure and my parents a a bit on the "fish" side but will understand a few lost fish will run more money than 1 fish and some meds. i can forget about my brother on this topic, its just a fish to him. he only cares about cats or dogs, the rest is just irrelevant and cheap replacement pets. i dont think any cat or dog owners would attempt to adopt this attitude similar to the fish.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 01:29 PM   #9 
Thebettaqueen

To buy her a new tank, would be like buying someone something they don't want and having them throw it away. She's utterly lazy at everything. I know it's the wrong thing to say, but she honestly doesn't care about anything but herself..
She makes others do stuff for her. For the fish, she was interested in it for a while, and then she negleted it. Same goes for her last fish.

I kinda agree. If the poor betta was more, people would probably want to keep them alive and actually care and love them.

Wow. A photo? I'd say something along the lines " I'd be like that too if I was kept in a small bowl like this :/ I think getting him a better, heated and filtered home would help the poor fella.."
Old 03-01-2012, 01:34 PM   #10 
Sena Hansler

Take a picture of a pretty betta, print it off as a bigger picture, give it to her she likes looking at them. Well there, that's the lazy person's betta...don't have to feed it, clean it, or care about it.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote