Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-11-2012, 06:53 PM   #1 
wystearya

Trying plants again, swords..?

I had tried doing live plants in my tank when I had my Betta a few years ago. My success was iffy at best. I did end up with a very healthy population of duckweed from just a few accidental leaves from my plant purchases. But, the actual rooted plants did OK at best.. I had algae problems, it grew all over the plant leaves. I vowed this time to not to live plants..

Didn't last long. LOL! I want to try again. My local pet store had buy one get one free plants today and I got a couple. Fortunately for me, there are a few leaves of duckweed in there too. So at least maybe I can keep that alive and thriving!

I got a couple of different sword plants: Oriental Sword & Kleiner Bar Sword.

I am looking them up online and I believe I'll need to get some kind of substrate fertilizer. Fine, I don't mind that. But I am wondering if anyone here has any tips about these particular sword plants. Do you have any certain brand or brands of substrate fertilizer you recommend? What about liquid fertilizer? >> I currently have: Tetra FloraPride which says it has iron & Potash

Thank you all so much!
wystearya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 06:57 PM   #2 
Silverfang

For swords, I believe they do better with root tabs (under gravel) fertilizer.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 06:59 PM   #3 
wystearya

No problem, I can get some right away.

One more question: What about substrate thickness? I have natural gravel, but it is only about 1 inch thick. Should I get a bit more gravel?
Old 03-11-2012, 07:20 PM   #4 
kfryman

Yeah you need more substrate, at least where they are planted. I would do at very Keats another inch. One thing that should be taken into consideration is the light. Live plants need a good light. All of my tanks have live plants and growing lights. I have the splash shields taken off also so the light is more effective and they get the light they need. My small tanks use like a regular light bulb socket. Petco sells grow lights that are I think 6500k, for $10, a bigger light bulb will cost a bit more. I would really recommend a good light for growing plants, to me it isn't very difficult to grow them. I would like to get them to look more lush though.

So remember live plants need a two things, good substrate or fertilizer, and good light.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 07:30 PM   #5 
wystearya

I do have a plant light, I don't remember the brand now, but I did get a good light.

I'm hoping I can get to the pet store after work tomorrow to get more gravel and the root tabs fertilizer. I'll get these ASAP for sure!

Thank you both for your replies. :)