Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-11-2012, 09:11 PM   #1 
Jrf456

TANK DIVIDER FELL! Winter is in AWFUL shape.. Anyone PLEASE help me!!!!

Omg. I'm crying right now! I feel so awful. The divider in my 5g which has Winter and Garland in it fell! Garland, being 2x the size of Winter messed him up reaaaally bad.

He's swimming and breathing normally (as normal as he can with his fins this way)

I just need to know how to treat these:

He's missing 1 or 2 scales, his left fin is clamped and bloody, and as you'll see in the attached images he's got really torn up fins. :(

Please tell me how to cure him.

Also, will my other fish, the one who tore him up, will he be fine since he ate a lot of his fins? He looks fine, not a nip in his fins or a scale missing. It's obvious who the winner was. :/

I also included a before picture.. Ugh he's soooo beautiful and sweet.. Always dancing around when I come near him and swimming past with me when I walk by, even after feeding. :/
Attached Images

Jrf456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 09:30 PM   #2 
Pataflafla

Keep him calm and the water clean and warm.

Looks to be mostly superficial damage, just keep an eye out for infection. If you feel you really need to start some sort of treatment, then I'd go with 1 tsp/gal aquarium salt, 100% daily water changes, darkness, and high protein diet.

It might be best to quarantine him for the moment to let him calm down and get some rest as well as keeping him safe while you figure out what happened with the divider.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 09:35 PM   #3 
Jrf456

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pataflafla View Post
Keep him calm and the water clean and warm.

Looks to be mostly superficial damage, just keep an eye out for infection. If you feel you really need to start some sort of treatment, then I'd go with 1 tsp/gal aquarium salt, 100% daily water changes, darkness, and high protein diet.

It might be best to quarantine him for the moment to let him calm down and get some rest as well as keeping him safe while you figure out what happened with the divider.
Thank you. I'm done with dividing tanks, too stressful! :( I have him in a 1g tank that is filled halfway up with water and I have him in the spare bedroom which gets no light since no one uses it and the big huge curtains are always closed so there is no light in day time either. Ugh this is so awful.
Old 03-11-2012, 09:40 PM   #4 
Pataflafla

I'm always paranoid about my divided tank, but right now I've got my laziest and my most skittish bettas in it. They'll flare at each other for maybe a second before giving up. One lazily lists off and the other swims away to hide. When I had Ratchet in there I would have nightmares about the divider failing. He can't be housed with anything living except for a mossball. He's managed to kill anacharis, so I don't want to attempt any shrimp or a snail.

Are you using a store bought or a homemade divider? I'm using the ones from Petsmart, but they're wobbly at best so I'm constantly adjusting.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 09:46 PM   #5 
betta lover1507

scales will have a white cloud like cover, it's like a scab, fins will be growing but not with color pigments very quickly (telling how he should heal). warm water, and conditioner should help. and check to see what made the divider fall, and try to see if you could could put it more sturdy
betta lover1507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 02:36 AM   #6 
Jrf456

Thank you again Pataflafla, and thank you Betta Lover1507!
Old 03-12-2012, 03:11 AM   #7 
styggian

When his fins start regrowing, the new growth will be whitish, and color will fill in afterwords. I think he'll be fine, like everyone said, keep his water clean. Watch for any signs of red or black edging, which means infection. Good luck!
styggian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 05:36 AM   #8 
Hallyx
Reference Team

So sorry that happened.
That has almost happened to me a few times, until I learned to build adequate dividers. The difference was.....I always(!) use two dividers. Never had both fail.

I put the heater between them for equal heat distribution.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote