Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-11-2012, 08:10 PM   #1 
Hollythebetta

URGENT - Euthanising a betta :(

Sorry to have 3 threads running at the same time but poor Holly is struggling so much. He seems panicked and practically launches himself at the water surface to gasp for air, then it bubbles out of his gills. I think he's suffocating. I've moved him out of his QT into a slightly larger plastic tub so I could put his plant on driftwood and his tunnel in with him so he feels more secure. He can now hide and also lay on the tunnel or the driftwood to be closer to the surface for air. The water level is about an inch above the top of the tunnel and driftwood/plant is on an angle so part of it is out of the water. I've also covered his temporary home with a cotton baby wrap, so oxygen will still get through, but it's a bit darker for him. I'm just trying to keep him comfortable and not stress him.

How do I euthanise him? I remember reading something about clove oil (which I have) but I can't remember the instructions. I just want help him pass as peacefuly as possible....

(I'm actually crying as I type this)
Hollythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 08:36 PM   #2 
Pataflafla

If you really feel it's cruel to try and keep him going past this point then here's the euthanasia method for clove oil.

Get a cup or container you're willing to throw out (Clove oil residue I've found does not come out easily or at all despite washing). take some tank water in that container and put a few drops of clove oil in at a time while shaking it up.

Put your betta in another container, one you're also willing to toss. Have a towel or blanket ready to cover up this container to keep him calmer.

After you've put in quite a bit of clove oil into the first container, slowly add a little bit of that water to the container with your betta. Wait a few minutes and add a little more. Continue until you use up all of the clove oil water.

your betta may or may not fight it and jump about for a little bit, but I feel this is mostly out of numbness and not realizing where they are.

Once your betta has stopped moving, wait and watch closely for gill movement. If you do not see any for 30 minutes, then you have successfully euthanized. I only say 30 minutes to give plenty of time to things to stop and so you don't end up taking your betta out of the cup and him spontaneously waking up as some people experience when the method is used incorrectly.

Best of luck and sorry you had to make this choice.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 08:44 PM   #3 
Hollythebetta

Thank you. He seems calmer now with his plant and tunnel back and in the dark, but he's still gasping for air and still bubbling out of his gills. I don't want to kill him, but I don't want him to keep suffering either......
Hollythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 08:46 PM   #4 
Pataflafla

Give him some more time before making the final decision.

You might want ot try lowing the water to about two or so inches to see if that helps him out any. I don't know the specifics of what's going on or what happened though. I'll go find out though and see if I can help out any more.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote