Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-11-2012, 07:35 PM   #1 
PatrickFish

Halfmoon Plakat Betta not eating

Hey guys, I have been a member on here for a while, but I am not a frequent poster. I hate to start a thread on a topic that may be beaten to death but I am stumped on my problem. So here it goes.
I got this male halfmoon plakat betta about two months ago. When I first got him, he was happy as ever making bubble nests like they were nobody's business and eating on a normal basis. Sadly, now he has stopped eating for the past couple days and I cannot for the life of me figure out why. I have noticed that he has lost some of the coloring in his scales and fins, which no doubt has to do with the lack of eating. He has no visible signs of any fungus or bacterial infection. I changed the aquascape of this tank about three weeks ago, which is a plausible reason why ( he may be stressed), but its been three weeks now, you'd think he'd be over it by now. I am worried because if he doesn't eat soon, he may die. So here are some credentials on the tank to clarify any questions:
PH: 6.5 ( Which is a little on the low side and I am now slowly bringing it up)
Ammonia: 0 ppm
Temperature: 79 F
Tank mates: 3 Panda Corydoras
Foods: Omega one betta buffet pellets, freeze dried blood worms, frozen blood worms
Ill attach a photo of the tank to see if the new layout may be unsuitable.
PatrickFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 08:44 PM   #2 
Pataflafla

Have you been messing with th pH since before he stopped eating?

I know some bettas are very sensitive to pH changes. It's best to just leave it as is since the exact same pH cannot be achieved each time if you're using a chemical to change it. It could be a reason why he's stopped eating.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 08:56 PM   #3 
kfryman

Don't mess with the pH of the water, it is better to let it stay consistant rather than drops. Bettas will adapt and get use to the water anyways, my water is around 8 and is fine. As said above how ling have you been messing with the pH?
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 09:32 PM   #4 
PatrickFish

I messed with it before I changed the aquascape, and left it alone for those three weeks. Its only today that I added some aragonite to the filter in some pantyhose to slowly buffer it. My tap water is naturally low in PH so I guess you're right, I should just let him adjust. Its just strange because I haven't messed with it at all in the last three weeks, and I have kept up on regular water changes, yet he continues to not eat.

Edit: Perhaps I should add some melafix to get a head start on any possible infections?

Last edited by PatrickFish; 03-11-2012 at 09:39 PM.
PatrickFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 10:30 PM   #5 
Pataflafla

I would not bother with the melafix. It's main ingredient is tea tree oil, which creates a film on the surface of the water that then coats the labrynth organ of a betta (Not good).

I say just let him adjust to what the water is now and keep up with the clean water. I don't think he's getting an infection, just having difficulty adjusting to the pH changes.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote