Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-11-2012, 09:14 PM   #1 
Thebettaqueen

Angry Pitbulls. hated for no reason.

Well. I was recently at the North shore Animal league. ( I wanted to look around, since my dog was recently put down and she was recused from there.) and I was going around, and you know places like that. They have recused pitbulls in a majority of the kennels. So I went around, fell in love with a Shepherd/pitbull mix. A lady behind me, who was also looking at him. Groaned and said " Ugh. Pitbulls. Monsters are what they are.." And walked away. My heart shattered into a million pieces. How DARE she say something about such a sweet dog.

Now, a lot of people get this misconception about how 'Pitbulls are beast, that are dangerous!' When honeslty, they have not a clue about how great pets they can be. Yes, their breed is a powerful one, and with a careless owner they can be aggressive. It's not the dog's fault! It's the stupidity of a person that causes the behavior a lot of people see on TV ( Aspca and such) Pit bull fighting is a big part of the problem. People see this dogs that were TRAINED to do such a horrible thing such as fighting one another. It's not the dog's decision. Yet they're banded in some states? It's extremely sad. They deserve so much more respect. Heck, my own mother is terrified of the breed, and when my brother brought home a pitbull puppy, she had him give her away. Ugh.

So I guess what I'm trying to get to here, is that Pit bulls are a great breed and they need more love then the hatred they're receiving. ( This is also a rant I guess. That woman just got me off..)
Thebettaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 09:52 PM   #2 
kfryman

I can't believe people are like this either. We have two pitbull mixes, one has the sting build of a pit, the other has the slenderness of the rhodesion ridgeback (they are sisters). They are so sweeand want to play with children. They are also lap dogs, yeah, 60-70 pound dogs!

The only problem is that one is dog aggressive because my sister didn't socialize her, not the dog's fault though. She gets along with some dogs and doesn't with others.

The breed is definitely misunderstood and portrayed as killers by the media.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 10:39 PM   #3 
Bombalurina

Sadly, they are responsible for a fair number of dog attacks. What people don't seem to understand, though, is that "safe" breeds like labs are responsible for a far higher percentage.

I love pits. I think they look magnificent and I hear they are vey loyal, but can sometimes have troubles with guarding instincts (not sharing their toys etc). I don't think the breed should be banned, but rather that people who can't care for them should be banned from owning them.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 10:47 PM   #4 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

hehe I watch north shore animal league stuff on animal planet :3
Pit bulls are not human aggressive at all. They do have natural dog aggression, but this is why you have to socialize them. They are banned where I live. My town is INSANE about them.. Some lady I heard about in my town had her genetically proven purebred STAFFIE put down because it LOOKED like a pitbull. It's so ridiculous.
German shepherds bite way more people than pits I believe. I've also heard of two cases of huskies killing young babies in Canada. But no one is giving "loyal, majestic German shepherds" or "cute fluffy huskies" a bad rep. Don't even get me started on chihuahuas biting people.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 11:00 PM   #5 
Aus

When my daughter was small, I watched two large pit bulls smash down a fence across the street from us to attack the little dachshund behind it. Before I could finish dialling animal control, they'd broken the fence and torn the poor little dog to pieces (I will never forget its screams ><). When they ran off, one still had a large chunk of dachshund in its mouth.

My child and our own little dakkie were behind the same kind of fence, exactly opposite this house. But for sheer luck, that could've been my child torn apart, playing in her own yard.

So yeah - after that, I've never been able to see pit bulls as "nice pets". It isn't just the media bs'ing about them being killers. It's what they were bred to do. Even in the hands of decent dog owners they are sometimes unexpectedly vicious. In the hands of an idiot, they can be lethal.

As for not being human-aggressive - a young boy who lived close to us in another house was mauled so badly by a pit bull while playing in a park that he required over 700 stitches. Like all aggressive breeds, they are more than capable of attacking a human.

Last edited by Aus; 03-11-2012 at 11:06 PM.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 11:08 PM   #6 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus View Post
When my daughter was small, I watched two large pit bulls smash down a fence across the street from us to attack the little dachshund behind it. Before I could finish dialling animal control, they'd broken the fence and torn the poor little dog to pieces (I will never forget its screams ><). When they ran off, one still had a large chunk of dachshund in its mouth.

My child and our own little dakkie were behind the same kind of fence, exactly opposite this house. But for sheer luck, that could've been my child torn apart, playing in her own yard.

So yeah - after that, I've never been able to see pit bulls as "nice pets". It isn't just the media bs'ing about them being killers. It's what they were bred to do. Even in the hands of decent dog owners they are sometimes unexpectedly vicious. In the hands of an idiot, they can be lethal.

As for not being human-aggressive - a young boy who lived close to us in another house was mauled so badly by a pit bull while playing in a park that he required over 700 stitches. Like all aggressive breeds, they are more than capable of attacking a human.
That's really horrible. Like your poor child must be scarred for life. I know I would have been.

I myself have been -harshly- bitten by 3 different dachshunds in my life. I'm scared of dachshunds. Not even kidding.

It really is all just what people experience. :/
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 11:17 PM   #7 
MollyJean

I'm a proud pitbull mommy! We rescued the runt of a purebred pair because the woman couldn't sell her and was going to send her to the pound. Sadie is now 6 months old and the sweetest, most gentle dog I've ever had (I am most assuredly a cat person) and gets along with my cats, my kid and nieces and nephews. I don't think she could be mean if she tried. Our neighbor thought she was so cute when she was a month old, cooed over her.. right up until I said she was a pit. The neighbor stepped away like the poor puppy had the plague. Made me sooooo mad!

I've always been scared of Dalmatians.. My brother's rotty, Puppy, was killed by one, and the dalmatian stood guarding his body for hours.. it was so sickening. We had to get animal control to tranq the dalmatian.

Last edited by MollyJean; 03-11-2012 at 11:36 PM. Reason: adding
MollyJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 01:25 AM   #8 
Granberry

I don't know if there's anything more impressive to me than seeing a pitbull in obedience trials at a dog show. But I'm afraid all too often these dogs are not owned by responsible owners who train them to be submissive to humans and trained to obey. They're just owned by stupid people who want a strong dog with a bad reputation because they know it's controversial and they know it's a way to look tough.

Is that the dog's fault? Of course not. But I don't know a way to control the people who own dogs, so sadly, I believe we have to control the dogs available for people to own. It is with regret that I would cast my vote in favor of some breed specific legislation, but I would absolutely do so unless there was a better idea on the ballot.
Granberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 01:35 AM   #9 
Pitluvs

I'm a proud Pitbull Mom, and really don't have time or want to even acknowledge the existence of those who bash my breed of choice...

But to those who are supportive and see the truth behind such a misunderstood breed? Thank You. From the bottom of my heart. I have been actively involved in promoting proper Pitbull ownership for 9 years, fighting BSL and educating those who are smart enough to listen (and not closed minded). I've owned my Pitbull/Pointer mix for 9 years, and my Staffordshire for 8 years and they have been the most loyal dogs I have ever owned. I can't see me every owning any other breed, especially when there are so many needing proper homes with people who understand them. My 8 year old is dog aggressive, and I have never had any issues with her and other animals because I am responsible and I never put her in situations that set her up to fail. And what started the dog aggression? A Bull Mastiff attacked her one day while we were out for a walk, the Mastiff was loose and my dog was on leash. I personally would never blame a whole breed because of something I experienced with one dog. My dogs also live in a home with children, cats and small animals. No issues. Anyways, Pro Pitbull here
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 01:41 AM   #10 
MollyJean

The only other option would be limiting the owners rather then the breeds, but I don't see that happen. Would open up a huge can of worms.

I had been taking Sadie to the flea market with me when it was nice, doing my best to socialize her, and it's a good chance to show others the breed can be gentle. But she just had knee surgery, so no trips for a while :(

Every dog should be trained though. Properly socialized, too. Big, little, all of them. Should be mandatory. Like leash laws.
MollyJean is offline   Reply With Quote