Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-13-2012, 09:58 PM   #151 
registereduser

I would have handled it differently for sure.

I am not 100% on board with the "no-kill" philosophy but if there's a way out, I'd jump on it.

Anyway, thanks for answering my questions.
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 10:00 PM   #152 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
So first you say they are only in it for the money, then you change your argument to if they care about the dog.. Caring and wanting money are opposites..
of course their opposites!!!
because if they cared about their patients then they wouldn't be in it for the money.
FishyFishy89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 10:02 PM   #153 
freemike

Well if the Vet didn't suggest doing any tests I doubt they was "in it for the money." Animal testing in a vet's office is no cheap chore. I still say not knowing what was exactly said and having all the information we can't say it was the wrong or right decision. Obviously her and the vet saw something made the dog at risk for aggression and felt euthanizaiton was the best route. Rehoming a dog that has showed aggressive tendencies is a decision that must be made very carefully and very few homes are appropriate. I hate to say it but rehoming isn't always a viable option even if the home is full of adults. Especially with a breed such as the rotties most adults wouldn't stand a chance at being able to stop an attack. That's why we use large breeds as police dogs and not Chihuahua.

Last edited by freemike; 03-13-2012 at 10:05 PM.
freemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 10:07 PM   #154 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granberry View Post
Fishy, does 89 refer to the year you were born? Because if so, you're the same age as my sweetest son, so I'm going to give you the benefit of your youth. But the answer is, I agree with OldFishLady when she said, "I often question why some people think it is more humane to keep a dog in a small cage, limited human contact and play time waiting to be re-homed...that is existing not living......Thousands of pets wait to be adopted.." I'd do the hard thing first.
The year of my birth is non on your concern. In fact, the year of my birth has nothing to do with this conversation.
Anyhow, I recommened the shelter or Craigslist because I didn't really fully understand the part of "a vet tech offered to take him off my hands." But when another user added the comment that the "vet tech" has other rottis and a large property that is where my opinion changed a bit. Going with the vet tech is so much more appropriate and humane than killing your dog because you feel like you should be the only person who should love your animals.
It doesn't matter if your dog would of been scared in that home. Dog's EASILY adapt to changes in their life. And he would of soon enough learned the routine of the new home and been just as happy there as he may have been with you.
Old 03-13-2012, 10:10 PM   #155 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

True. No one's going to come to this huge agreement..
You can tell Granberry loves her dogs, loves dogs.. she has 2(?) now and they seem happy and healthy.. As hopeful as you may be, old dogs usually don't adopt well, like I said.. He would have been stuck in a kennel for the rest of his life most likely.. Not a fair way to treat him as an elder dog, being put to sleep near the people he knew would have been much better than waiting in a kennel and being put to sleep surrounded by strange sounds and sights..

When you adopt any dog, you become responsible for their life, and their actions... It's sad to say, but it is your duty to do the right thing if they become hopelessly ill, or start to become aggressive. Even if it means putting them down... Leaving an old dog in a shelter hoping that some amazing person would come along and "save" him seems like something someone who can't handle the responsibility of a life would do to me.. This is the last place I would ever want to leave my older dog who has only known us. She is very shy at first and it would hurt me to know that she would be sitting in a kennel by herself for who knows how long.. :/
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 10:14 PM   #156 
FishyFishy89

I still say giving him to the vet tech would of been a WAY more humane choice.
Old 03-13-2012, 10:14 PM   #157 
Aus

Quote:
How would someone feel if they had been recommended to euthanize a dog but instead gave the dog away and it did hurt someone or another dog?
That would be the question foremost in my mind, were this my situation. But it wasn't mine, nor anyone's but Granberry's. Personally, I think she made a very wise choice. It'd have been the one I made, hands down, no question. People with no children of their own still go places where kids are, maybe have relatives over who have children, etc. When a dog is, for whatever reason, unpredictable - then that's what it is. Some people choose to gamble on those odds, some do not. That's life.

Re-homing an older dog isn't always sunshine and unicorns for the dog, either. My grandpa's loyal old dog still had a few good years in her when he passed away. She died in her sleep two months after he did, in a terrible state of depression, from no visible physical cause. The vet's unofficial diagnosis was that she died of grief, unable to find her place in a world that her dedicated human being was no longer in.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 10:16 PM   #158 
freemike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
True. No one's going to come to this huge agreement..
You can tell Granberry loves her dogs, loves dogs.. she has 2(?) now and they seem happy and healthy.. As hopeful as you may be, old dogs usually don't adopt well, like I said.. He would have been stuck in a kennel for the rest of his life most likely.. Not a fair way to treat him as an elder dog, being put to sleep near the people he knew would have been much better than waiting in a kennel and being put to sleep surrounded by strange sounds and sights..

When you adopt any dog, you become responsible for their life, and their actions... It's sad to say, but it is your duty to do the right thing if they become hopelessly ill, or start to become aggressive. Even if it means putting them down... Leaving an old dog in a shelter hoping that some amazing person would come along and "save" him seems like something someone who can't handle the responsibility of a life would do to me.. This is the last place I would ever want to leave my older dog who has only known us. She is very shy at first and it would hurt me to know that she would be sitting in a kennel by herself for who knows how long.. :/
Honestly it wouldn't be that long... volunteering in these places in my area. I know it's 7 days max and sometime 72 hours. Also if it is suggested that the dog is becoming aggressive as it ages the shelter will almost certainly put it down as soon as you walk out and if he's lucky he'll just be put first on the "to be destroyed on "date"" list. This may not be true in all areas but that is it around here. Also the one "no-kill" shelter in my area will refuse dogs that are being given up because of aggression as they simply do NOT have the room. Even if they did it would be too risky to leave a dog in a home waiting for a spot.
freemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 10:21 PM   #159 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

In this case I would rather have her put down, with me by her side, then leaving her at a shelter knowing she'd be put down. That seems cowardly to me. (I am talking about my dog btw..)
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 10:27 PM   #160 
MollyJean

Quote:
Originally Posted by registereduser View Post
I am not 100% on board with the "no-kill" philosophy but if there's a way out, I'd jump on it.
I would have at least tried something else.. killing would have been a last resort if I had to do it.

And I know I've said this before. Re-homing doesn't necessarily mean sending the dog to the local pound. I have a neighbor who was on the local K-9 task force for 14 years. He has 4 dogs and takes very good care of them. If tomorrow Sadie showed signs of aggression towards my daughter I would probably ask my neighbor if he would give her a home. I don't think putting the dog to sleep would even be an option.
MollyJean is offline   Reply With Quote