Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-13-2012, 10:47 PM   #161 
Aluyasha

We should all remember that none of us were there during the life of Granberry's rott. Of course them writing down in a brief paragraph of their dogs life will make it sound negative. No one can explain every action and thought process that went into the choice to euthanize.
I know I have had times when I had to euthanize or rehome a pet and if I explained it in a short story without anyone knowing me it would probably sound cruel. But I know myself that it was a hard, thought through decision.
Aluyasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 11:06 PM   #162 
Granberry

Aluyasha, you are right, and that has been keeping me sitting on my fingers all night. Because the thing is, I don't feel it is important to the original poster's point to go into all those details about my decision.

My point was and is that we as a society have a responsibility to protect children at extraordinarily high costs. Somebody said that a child would learn to respect animals if they got bitten or scratched. I think that is a shockingly irresponsible thing to say when you're discussing pit bulls who can, and have, pulled a 3-year-old's arm off at the joint for putting his little hand through a stockade fence hole in his own back yard.

I don't understand how telling that story can have anyone rushing to the rescue of the pit bulls, but the truth is, some people will be as quick to do so as they were quick to rush to plead my Bogey's case. And that's why sensible people see that there are some people whose values are so disparate to their own that the only solution is laws.

Last edited by Granberry; 03-13-2012 at 11:07 PM. Reason: misplaced not
Granberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 11:13 PM   #163 
FishyFishy89

So I guess my mother and father and several other mother and fathers before them were completely irresponsible to let their children get bitten or scratched by an animal after they warned them several times to leave the animal alone.

I certainly learned to respect dogs after the boxer bit my face as a 6 year old.
I learned to respect cats after I pulled my cat's whiskers at the age 3
and I'm not even gonna go into all the other incidents that taught me respect for quite a few other animals.
FishyFishy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 11:31 PM   #164 
Aluyasha

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishyFishy89 View Post
So I guess my mother and father and several other mother and fathers before them were completely irresponsible to let their children get bitten or scratched by an animal after they warned them several times to leave the animal alone.

I certainly learned to respect dogs after the boxer bit my face as a 6 year old.
I learned to respect cats after I pulled my cat's whiskers at the age 3
and I'm not even gonna go into all the other incidents that taught me respect for quite a few other animals.
I see what you are getting at. However some children, instead of learning from a snap, would become afriad their whole lives of certain animals.
I do not have a child yet. But I feel it will be my duty to not only protect my child, but also make sure that my child grows to trust animals and care for them as much as I do. I would hate to see my child afraid or even hate dogs because I did not do something about my own aggressive dog. As the safest place for my child should be at home.
And I would not want my dog to keep having to go through, feeling irritated or possive, biting, then me getting mad at it or having to kennel it, and it constantly feeling hurt and confused.

Also, what if your child gets food on their face from eating and the dog just bites him over it? Or your baby is crying and dog hates the noise and snaps? How could you tell your child that it was their fault?

Last edited by Aluyasha; 03-13-2012 at 11:34 PM.
Old 03-13-2012, 11:39 PM   #165 
Aluyasha

Sometimes, it is not a situation where a child is being mean to the dog.
Once when I was very young. My mother fell asleep on the couch with me in her arms, when she fell asleep, her arm moved loosly off the couch and I rolled off of her and landed on our cattle dog. The dog flipped around and bit my head. I still have a scar.
At that time if my mom woke up, looked down at me and said "you deserved it" would that have made sense?
Old 03-13-2012, 11:45 PM   #166 
dramaqueen
Banned

Wow, what a conversation! Guys, please stay on topic. The purpose of this thread is not to discuss whether Granberry did the right thing or not by having her dog humanely euthanized. She did what she felt was right and best for the dog.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 11:49 PM   #167 
FishyFishy89

Was typing when DQ posted.

I made my opinion. I'm done repeating myself. End of conversation.
FishyFishy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 02:13 AM   #168 
Aus

Quote:
End of conversation.
Thanks.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 08:56 AM   #169 
Laki

I read a lot of this thread. Skipped a couple pages here and there (I think I missed the pic of pitluv's dog :< )

Okay. So I just wanted to step in with a few thoughts, Pitbulls are dogs, yes. They are working terriers.

Terriers are not the greatest family dog because they can be high strung, hyper, and can blow hours off in a field. Trust me, I shared the greatest 14 years of my life with my 25lb terrier (he was 27lbs at his heaviest but typically stayed around 21-24). We were kids and loved out little byb puppy (our dad 'traded' us for our then half-wild child aggressive dog). He was so wound with energy once out for a walk when he was young, kids bullied us in that neighborhood and took to threatening our Coco with hockey sticks. He bit one of the kids in self defense. Fortunately the parents didn't request the death sentence for him but my mom MADE us keep our dog inside the house, minus the backyard, for 7 years. 7 years. In this time, he sometimes escaped and ran the neighborhood in pure energy, he bit some kids. They had nasty bruises and scars, but fortunately (it was a very low income neighborhood) nobody requested euthanasia.
When we moved and took him for walks he finally got the hours REQUIRED daily exercise, including walks and runs and extensive playtime which included terrier chase and 'kill' games he became a much better dog. Easier to train and walk.
Dogs are not human. They absolutely require without excpetion a lot of exercise. I love my terrier, I will always defend terriers. When people want them I make sure to forwarn them, there is a woman at my work who has a jack russell- doesn't get walked. She complains he's destructive. I cannot stress enough, terriers are a special type of dog. They were bred to run and chase and kill and tear their prey (rats and small vermin).
That's their instinct. Wanna know what else? pitbulls were bred to be dog aggressive- guess what? With proper training, they can be well behaved. My terrier was the best mouser I knew, we kept pet mice/hamsters and rats, Coco would (on command) sniff them out when they escaped in the house and NOT kill them!
Instinct is still there, but trained not to kill our small pets.
What I'm getting at here is that pitbulls can be rescued and live with other dogs, children, small animals. As pitluvs mentioned pages back- as she has multiple pet household.
When I move from this apartment I intend on rescuing a pit-pit cross. I'm in love with staffies actually. Recently in the news a "pitbull" attack was recorded, the media blew it up.. A neighbor of the "attack" dog mentioned the dog was, in fact, a boxer cross. It had the look of a pitbull and pitbull stories sell. That's all there is to it. A couple years ago it was German Shepherds and Rotties. There's always going to be a "bad" breed.
I will never support BSL. I think it's ill informed and sensationalist, rather, owners should apply to own a dog under liscence. There is mandatory liscensing here but it is not enforced. :/

(one quick comment on the short attack on the one who had her rottie pts over it growling at her child): NOBODY can ever judge how someone else regards the hardest choice to make. I mean, there are stupid people who would do it, but I got the feeling off the poster that the 8 yr odl rottie was a family member, it probbaly growled because of health problems. My little dog was 14 when we mulled it over and decided to have him pts. I couldn't eat, concentrate or anything for the week deciding. I had to look at my dog in a different, more compassionate, light for the first time and try to empathise with him. I couldn't enjoy walks the same way, looked at him differently. All to evaluate if it was the right decision. If the vet tech had, in the office, offered to give him a new life on a ranch or something I would have had the same reaction. Not in a selfish way, but physically it seemed there was nothing wrong with my dog. He was 14 years old and looked like maybe he was 7. He never aged in his face at all. So, think about that before you judge someone on their desicion.

Oh my, I've written a novella here!
Bottom line, I do not agree with BSL, I defend and love all terriers! I cannot wait to rescue mine. Not because I want to show the world how great they are, but because they have proven to be the best friends one can have, and I want to give back to the dog. I don;t think I want human children because dogs give me everything I need. I even thought I was a cat person for a while.... My cat Oliver has made me realise I'm in fact a 100% dog person!! (ps, I love my cat!)
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 09:04 AM   #170 
Sena Hansler

Granberry did what they thought would have been needed to be done - we don't know the entire story, just some words on a screen. Even if there could have been a possible way, I know I would feel really worried no matter who took "my dog" because of an action the dog put forth. Unless it was someone I knew, I would constantly be wondering how the dog actually was, and if THEY put her/him down.

Pitbulls are actually one of the few terriers I like LOL! I'm not one for most of the terriers.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote