Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-14-2012, 02:05 PM   #191 
Sena Hansler

Or just like "awww bassets are a GREAT family pet! They are so nice, so friendly..." And yet I distinctly remember a particular basset (purebred) who wanted to tear you apart if he could get out of his yard!! And he literally attempted to go through the gate to get to you, and when he was out you were off the ground to avoid getting mauled o_O Any breed can be mean. Sorry...not breed...dog. Any DOG can be mean.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 02:07 PM   #192 
Thebettaqueen

I was only agreeing with one thing she said o-O Anyway. I'd like to learn more about this topic..I'm quite curious.
Thebettaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 02:10 PM   #193 
Laki

Yes. Surprisingly enough, many years ago there was a bar who kept 2 Newfoundland dogs (or Newf crosses) in the backyard of the bar. They were loud, barky and protective of the fence if one went near it. Since I'm in Newfoundland, the breed is super attainable and unfortunately anyone can get one, meaning there are some badly bred ones here (or there were a few years ago, you don't actually see that many around now)
My boyfriend hates beagles because back in Nova Scotia when he was young he was bitten by one. Beagles are one of those hounds bred to be loyal companions and thus why they are used in labs...
So I hear you on the "any dog can be aggressive". Depends on the life it lives.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 02:14 PM   #194 
Sena Hansler

Exactly. And depends on genetics.. I mean, like the Service Dog I mentioned before - he was a rotten pick. And the organization, if that dog bites, should be SUED. And I hope they do get sued! >:( no one aught to teach a service dog to attack when something moves next to it.
Old 03-14-2012, 02:28 PM   #195 
revolutionrocknroll

MollyJean, I think that instead of keeping "bad dogs" away from people we should just keep dogs away from bad people (who are guilty of animal abuse, drug dealing, violent crimes, etc)
revolutionrocknroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 02:30 PM   #196 
Sena Hansler

True, considering most "bad dogs" are caused from "bad people".
Old 03-14-2012, 02:32 PM   #197 
tpocicat

My thoughts exactly^^^^A+
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 02:34 PM   #198 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laki View Post
Wait, whoever said Brad Pattison (end of my leash) is a good trainer is wrong. A trainer who refuses to allow his sessions being filmed?? Um, why? There are some hidden videos on youtube of him abusing dogs. Not only dominating them, but physically attacking them. revolutionrockandroll was right, Cesear's dogs and Pattison's methods seem to "work" because the dog is afraid to do anything else.
Anyway, we'll only go off topic here on training.
Pitbulls don't "lock" their jaws. They have incredibly powerful grip, but they don't "lock". Not like painful lockjaw that people experience.
I love pitties, I love terriers as a whole group. I mean, the smaller they get the worse they get (yorkies) but I do admire my Airdales!! Such regal prince-like goofs they are! They can be ideal for families prepared to handle up to 15 years of crazy energy!! A rocking good time in my honest opinion.
same with Ceaser Millian (or however you spell his name)
If he kicked my dogs I'd kick him the same way and in the same spot. To show him what he has been doing to these dogs. I saw an episode where he forced a bull dog into submission.
Close minded people on another forum I go on keep defending him and say "he is nudging them, not kicking them" seriously?! A nudge does not cause a husky to attack his handler or does a nudge cause a golden retriever to cower and make itself look smaller.

EDIT: and I derailed the train again xD
FishyFishy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 02:37 PM   #199 
Inga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sena Hansler View Post
Hey! then here a question, Inga. CAN a 3 year old rottie be trained, or rehabilitated? I say yes. My brother says no, because they are a "stubborn" breed, therefore what they learned before the age of 1 is set into them and there is no way to fix what they were taught. I.e a 3 year old rottie who was taught to fight would have to be euthanised because there is "no way" they can be helped. And I seriously am going to try (and probably will knowing my persistance) to show rotties after age 1 or whatever CAN be readopted, CAN be rehabilitated, and CAN be helped out of problems like fear, aggression, bad training, etc.

Or is it just PEOPLE who won't take a chance with a strong breed?
Sorry, didn't see this right away. The short answer, YES.
The long answer...It can be a long road and it depends on the training.

First off, Rotties are not stubborn. They are a breed that is bred to make it's own decisions, and work on it's own. Unlike a Golden Retriever or Labrador that is bred to look to the owner for constant direction (bird hunting) The Rottie is bred to "think for itself" This doesn't mean the dog is stubborn. HOW you train a Rottie will determine if he can be rehabbed.
I had one girl that was brought to me by the police (the head of AC is a friend) They had gone in a house on a drug bust and found the dog hanging in the garage. They cut her down thinking she was dead but she wasn't. They brought her in to be euthed but I had been called and intercepted her. Her mouth had been wired shut, she was bleeding and had bruises over her entire body, cuts to her mouth where the wire had but in and bruises around her neck. She could barely stand up on her own but give her food and stand anywhere near it and she would try like heck to charge after you.
Time and patient, and that loving dog was turned into a registered Therapy dog.
This is her in the Red collar, the smaller one.

The other dog in that picture had been tied up to a tractorr with a logging chain. She was an adult dog but only weighed 48 lbs. and had been shot (because she didn't come when she was called) I don't know how she was even alive because when she got up to full weight she was around 115 lbs. Less then half her ideal weight but she survived and also became the most amazing, forgiving, loving therapy dogs and family companions. Every so often I will still run into people at dog shows, or exhibitions or even teachers at high schools where we performed that will remember her and say "that was the funniest, sweetest dog I have ever met"

So... Can it be done. I have had living proof that it could be done.
If there was any question as to what had happened to the dog hanging, she was a bait dog for dog fighting. She had her mouth wired shut so they could put young dogs, on her without her being able to hurt them, so they would gain confidence to fight.

One more shot of my "little bait dog"
She had filled out better in that shot. More hair came back. ha ha
Inga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 02:38 PM   #200 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sena Hansler View Post
Or just like "awww bassets are a GREAT family pet! They are so nice, so friendly..." And yet I distinctly remember a particular basset (purebred) who wanted to tear you apart if he could get out of his yard!! And he literally attempted to go through the gate to get to you, and when he was out you were off the ground to avoid getting mauled o_O Any breed can be mean. Sorry...not breed...dog. Any DOG can be mean.
I've even seen my own pug, yes a PUG, viciously bark at random people when we walk her in my neighborhood.
I've seen her "defend" tennis balls at the dog park. (i always end up either hiding them or handing 1 off to another dog when she's not looking)
FishyFishy89 is offline   Reply With Quote