betta fish

Old 03-14-2012, 04:00 PM   #211 
Sena Hansler

haha yay xD
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 04:08 PM   #212 
FishyFishy89

Back to the topic of pitties...

I love pits. Handsome dogs they are. And sometimes it isn't the handler that makes them bad dogs. Look at genetics. A dog's genetics are somewhat similar to ours. Our anger level, allergies, voice tones, etc are from our mothers and fathers. So it is possible that the backyard breeding helps in creating aggressive dogs.
This is why I think dogs should only be bred by those with a license to do so. Breeding animals requires a no how on genetics and how it affects every single off spring.
FishyFishy89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 04:34 PM   #213 
Aus

It sickens me to see a badly mauled child being blamed for a dog attack. Kids need to be 'trained' too (rich or poor, a brat is a brat), and if a child over the age of five or six is deliberately annoying an animal (prior to that, children really are not all that capable of understanding and need to never be left alone with anything that could hurt them) to the point of biting, my question is - where the hell are that kid's parents, and what are they (not) teaching their child?

My mother (who was mauled by a shepherd as a child) taught me this from the time I could walk: NEVER touch a dog, of any kind at all, even the really cute fluffy ones, without the owners' permission.

This very basic bit of common sense was drummed into my head, non-stop. To this day, I will never touch another person's dog without asking the owner if it's okay, every time. Most dog owners really appreciate it as a basic courtesy.

I've owned a dobie x bull terrier (hoboy, imagine an english bull terrier - on dobie-legged stilts, that was one ugly ass dog), several purebred bullies (piglets, all) and a dingo. The dingo was a challenge and a half, I can tell you. They are terribly difficult to train and have restrictions as to fully enclosed yards, etc, because they can climb a 10 ft wire mesh fence like a monkey if they really want to.. never mind opening high-up rounded door handles with their creepy hand-paws.. and omg, the public reaction.. dingos eat babies, dontcha know!?).

Out of all of those dogs, the only one that needed some very firm "dominance training" (NOT the kind where you HIT the dog...) was.. the dingo. As I said, dingos are very hard to train, they look at you like, "Sit? But.. I'm not tired. Thanks anyway."

I did NOT want a wild-breed dog even begin to imagine he would ever be in control of my household, so we had a lot of work to do there. All the other dogs were taught basic obedience from puppyhood, and I never had a lick of trouble out of any of them.

I kept those dogs as far away from young kids as I possibly could. It wasn't that I did not trust my dogs - I didn't trust the kids. So I kept my big strong dogs away from toddlers and the stupid children of stupider people as best I possibly could, and never, ever left them unsupervised with strangers of any age, and we all had a spectacularly good time.

The things about common sense is - it really isn't all that common..
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 04:43 PM   #214 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus View Post
The things about common sense is - it really isn't all that common..
And it SUCKS!!!
Oh what I would give to have just ONE person ask me if they could pet my pug.
She maybe small, but just because she is small doesn't mean she cannot accidentally hurt you.
She likes to nom hands (i try to get of rid, but hubs no helps) and she likes to jump on people (another issue hubs is not helping)
Her tooth can hurt, no matter how gentle she thinks she is being. Her claws will hurt you if your wearing shorts.

My pug can hurt someone just as much as a big dog can.
Old 03-14-2012, 04:45 PM   #215 
Laki

I thought Dingo's were the wild dogs? Why was it "domesticated"??
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 04:46 PM   #216 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

fishy- doesn't it suck when other family members aren't on board with dog training? xD
Olympia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 04:48 PM   #217 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
fishy- doesn't it suck when other family members aren't on board with dog training? xD
gggrrrrr
I wanna smack him sometimes.
Old 03-14-2012, 04:49 PM   #218 
Aus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishyFishy89 View Post
Back to the topic of pitties...

I love pits. Handsome dogs they are. And sometimes it isn't the handler that makes them bad dogs. Look at genetics. A dog's genetics are somewhat similar to ours. Our anger level, allergies, voice tones, etc are from our mothers and fathers. So it is possible that the backyard breeding helps in creating aggressive dogs.
This is why I think dogs should only be bred by those with a license to do so. Breeding animals requires a no how on genetics and how it affects every single off spring.
I just had to add - how wholeheartedly I agree with your comments regarding backyard breeding (in the sense of indiscriminate breeding).

I also think pit bulls are really attractive dogs, though I prefer (English) Staffies myself.

And ... have you ever trained that pug? I doubt it could do the same damage as an angry pit bull (except maybe given several days and a ladder..) but after all, a bite is a bite. If it's habitually nasty - perhaps a few months in kennel club training classes would help?
Old 03-14-2012, 04:54 PM   #219 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus View Post
And ... have you ever trained that pug? I doubt it could do the same damage as an angry pit bull (except maybe given several days and a ladder..) but after all, a bite is a bite. If it's habitually nasty - perhaps a few months in kennel club training classes would help?
yup I trained her myself.
I know she herself wouldn't purposely do that kind of damage.
But she has teeth and claws. It doesn't matter the breed behind them. They can do the damage.
Old 03-14-2012, 04:58 PM   #220 
Aus

Quote:
She likes to nom hands
Ooh sorry I misread 'nom' for 'bite' - I get 'nomming' now lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laki View Post
I thought Dingo's were the wild dogs? Why was it "domesticated"??

Dingos have lived with and around humans for perhaps around 60,000 years (from Indonesia, originally). They were brought here by the ancestors of the Aboriginals. They are defined as "wild" because most live that way now. But that long lineage of being in contact with mankind means they are not like wolves (which can also be domesticated, I hear, if not so easily) in that they will happily live alongside people, which is what makes them a danger when idiots decide to camp in dingo territory and think its cute to feed them (like feeding bears?) - they aren't afraid, but aren't domesticated fully and tragedy ensues when little Johnny wants to pet one.

Purebred dingos are becoming endangered, due to crossbreeding in the wild with feral dogs. Keeping them requires a lot of red tape, but it's not illegal in my state, nor discouraged if they are properly handled.

Here's a good wiki article on the pluses and minuses of keeping dingos as 'pets' in Australia (though they are better described as 'companions', imo): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dingo#A...nd_working_dog

Last edited by Aus; 03-14-2012 at 05:18 PM.