Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-14-2012, 05:37 PM   #221 
Aus

Oh - and here's something I didn't know..from Wiki:

Quote:
Outside of Australia, dingoes were proven to exist in Thailand, based on comparisons between the skulls of Thai dogs and those of fossil and present-day dingoes. The population there probably has the biggest proportion of "pure" dingoes. They are widespread in Northern and Central Thailand and rare in the southern regions.
Dingos and bettas! Not to mention Thai cuisine, which is the yummiest food anywhere. Now I really want to live there..
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 06:00 PM   #222 
kfryman

Aus you are completely right. If someone just walked up to my dogs and they look like they may do harm to me or who ever cares for them that is walking them they will defend. If the person asks I am fine with them because they sense that I am fine with them.

Pits are loyal to their owners, they will defend them. One of my friends went to give a high five to my sister when she was walking one of them, I had the other, he looked like he was going to attack my sister. She instantly saw that and she lunged because of her instinct to defend my sister.

I got bit by a huge German sheperd, yeah I was scared of him because he had police/guard dog traits. The bite hurt like help, tore my shirt and gave me a huge bruise on my leg. I learned my lesson and had been told that he would do that and knew he does that. I forgot. Dogs can be unpredictable especially by the way they are taught and such. For some reason if I go under a blanket my dogs attack me. It hurts but not that much so I I still do it. Note they can't see me at all, it is funny though.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 06:04 PM   #223 
Bombalurina

Aus - you've owned a dingo? Wow. I'm half jealous, half in awe. I don't think I could ever do that. Not because I think they eat babies, though.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 06:33 PM   #224 
Aus

Rofl, Bomba. I got sooo sick of all the baby jokes.. and yeah, they're a huge responsibility, occasionally a huge headache, and an equally huge privilege to know. Luckily, my boy was a goofy, lazy thing whose primary motivation in life was figuring out new and improved ways to steal beer. He had a taste for it (not approved at all by me!) and if it wasn't such a problem, it would have been hilarious, all the various 'tricks' he came up with to sneak a beer. Including: opening the fridge and stealing cans which he'd puncture with his teeth so they sprayed everywhere, licking an open stubby at BBQ's so our guests would be grossed out and put it down so he could knock it over, and opening the esky on his own.

I can't link the story by itself, but if you check out "Mahlee's story" on the testimonial page on the link below, her owner sums up the dingo attitude to regular dog training methods really well: "selectively responsive"

On top of that, they can and will teach themselves 'tricks' (like the beer..) that are jaw-droppingly intelligent and not always the kind you'd approve of.

http://www.dingo.org.au/

The guy on that site who keeps dingos in the city was a neighbour of mine, and it was such a pleasure to see him walking them.

There's still a lot of prejudice against these dogs, akin to the kind Pit Bulls get. Mainly in the farm areas, where the only good dingo is a dead one.. Responsible ownership is not easy, though, and god forbid that stupid people would try to raise a dingo. I'm very, very glad that the regulations are as stringent now as they are to prevent the chances of tragedy all round, as well as yet more cross-breeding (why anyone would deliberately outcross a dingo, I do not know! the crossbreds are nowhere near as nice, and purebreds are almost an endangered species!).

Anyhow, sorry for the dingo-prattle.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 06:34 PM   #225 
Oiseau

This thread was amazing to read. I live in an area where pitbulls are constantly being hated on. I grew up with a pitbull and a rottweiler and they're the only reason I'm not terrified of dogs, as I had a very energetic, under-exercised German shepherd "attack" me on many occasions as a child. (She was playing, but not very well trained and not receiving the attention or exercise she needed. And I was too small to play.)

I'm honestly terrified of many smaller breeds. The only ones I've found myself comfortable around are French bulldogs.

(PS. I passed the pitbull test.)
Oiseau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 11:44 PM   #226 
Sena Hansler

Guess what I found out? that lady with the "service dog" is a liar. the dog WAS being trained as a service dog, SHE took over AND TAUGHT HIM TO ATTACK IF FEELING THREATENED. That's like telling a serial killer it's okay to kill 500 that are tied up in a room That dog, was ALWAYS unstable - I remember seeing him being traine and he was a rotten pick then, he is a rotten pick now! Not only has he lashed out at me, but recently he BIT one of the cashiers. The woman gave the wrong number to the store, and therefore got away with it.

She was banned from the store, with the dog. Without she is allowed.

She came in today

What if it is a kid who runs by and gets attacked by this "service dog"?? if that woman dies he is automatically euthanised.

bad dogs are from bad people.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 12:26 AM   #227 
dramaqueen
Banned

I had a dog that was part poodle and part cocker spaniel, I think. He was a very loyal and very protective dog. He wouldn't let anyone touch him but us. One day my parents were out in the yard with him and some people stopped by. As they were talking, their little girl reached down to pet Max, Before anyone could say anything Max grabbed her wrist. BUT, he didn't bite down or leave any marks on her. I think he knew better than to do that. He was just warning her not to touch him.
On the subject of dachshunds, some neighbors of ours years ago had a dachshund that was one of the meanest little dogs I've ever known in my life. Also, I had a neighbor about 12 years ago that had an obnoxious poodle named Michelle. One day Michelle brings me her ball, drops it in front of me and wags her tail. She looks at me, looks at the ball and wags her tail. When I went to pick up the ball to throw it for her she bit me. Not hard and didn't break the skin but she bit me. When I told my neighbor she says oh, Michelle wouldn't do anything like that. You don't touch Michelle's toys. Grrr
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 08:47 AM   #228 
Sena Hansler

y'know how dangerous pitbulls are?

my coworker showed off her son's pup. it's a white with brown spotted ears, and a couple brown spots here and there on his back, 8 month old pitbull.

his sister brought over a kitten... and left it there (irresponsible much)
and the dog adopted the cat, the cat adopted the dog and they sleep together

scary. that same coworker had been attacked by an abused (key word) german shephard - bitten right on the face.
Old 03-15-2012, 09:28 AM   #229 
MollyJean

My pit loves my cats. He sleeps with one and grooms all 3... which means I get kitties covered in doggy slobber. YUCK!
MollyJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 09:34 AM   #230 
Sena Hansler

Apparently here, most attacks are from bulldogs and german shephards. watch an Edmonton news report, it's "the dog is suspected to be a german shephard cross" or "the dog is suspected to be a pitbull cross". Then you see the owner (not even upset, crying, angry, nothing!) claim her dog is a sweet pea. >< as she/he lives in a dump of a motel room (no seriously there was one like that! with kids!)