Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-15-2012, 09:40 AM   #231 
revolutionrocknroll

D'aww (about the kitten and puppy). Have you seen Sharky the Pit Bull? He's a dog that's friends with everyone. There are all these videos on youtube of him snuggling with kittens and grooming baby bunnies and chilling with iguanas. It's so cute.
revolutionrocknroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 09:44 AM   #232 
Sena Hansler

lol awww =D I think the last time we saw a pitbull in the SPCA his name was Smiley HE SMILED!!!!!! :o I wanted him but noooo lol wasn't allowed a strong/big breed because my mom is iffy about dogs

but...but...but...he smiles
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 09:46 AM   #233 
revolutionrocknroll

My humane society had a smiling dog! She was a hound mix but she had to be relinquished because the owner's insurance company thought she was a pit bull (she clearly wasn't...). She was such a sweet girl. A little dog aggressive though.
Old 03-15-2012, 09:58 AM   #234 
Sena Hansler

yeah my dad's hound mix is dog aggressive. she used to be really good, then I don't know... she decided she didn't like dogs :/ it was so weird!! didn't help I was the only one who walked her though x.x
Old 03-15-2012, 10:02 AM   #235 
revolutionrocknroll

Hmm, that's weird. Did she interact with dogs a lot prior to being dog aggressive? If not, her social skills might have gotten a bit rusty and led her to feel uncomfortable around other dogs.
Old 03-15-2012, 10:20 AM   #236 
Sena Hansler

I'm not sure. I made sure to interact with other dogs (along with that scary skateboards and those bicycles ). but I think it was that year we had -55 (celsius) kind of winter weather :/ she wouldn't go out to pee lol let alone a walk.

how exactly do you get them socialized for winter?? x.x our weather sucks xD although, I took her to work in the petstore with me. she snapped at the store's dog, and I made her lay until I said so. she never snapped again, happily.
Old 03-15-2012, 10:40 AM   #237 
revolutionrocknroll

Maybe she had a bad experience with other dogs that scared her?

For winter? Like playing with other dogs during winter or being socialized to the changes in winter (coats, boots, sleds, shovels, etc)?

I can imagine your weather being bad in Canada, I'm from VT and it gets pretty bad here xD I don't know what it's like though where you live but I still bring my dog to off leash areas, dog parks, etc just not for as long of a period. My dog's very dog friendly but she's also getting old so she can be snappy with puppies (my neighbor's sheltie pup once tried to herd her. She did not like that at all xD)

As for winter socialization with a puppy... haha, that's a problem because there's a 4 month socialization period and people only have puppies for two of those months. If you get it in the summer it won't be socialized well for winter and if you get it in the winter it won't be socialized well for summer. For winter objects just wearing coats and boots and showing them shovels and exposing them to as much as possible that you can always helps.
Old 03-15-2012, 10:43 AM   #238 
Sena Hansler

exposing them to dogs during winter lol. it's hard! I tried, on the warmer days of winter but that year sucked.
Old 03-15-2012, 10:56 AM   #239 
tpocicat

When my pit bull was younger, he sometimes showed a little aggressive toward dogs not my own. We just let him know that we didn't approve of such behavior and he learned to ignore other dogs. I also have a wolf dog, funny thing is that people want to pet him, all they see is a husky mix.
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 10:59 AM   #240 
revolutionrocknroll

Lol, oh yeah. I guess if your dog makes a friend over the summer you can have indoor play dates- although indoors isn't really ideal for playing, especially with big dogs. Are there any training facilities, humane society, or even a veterinarian clinic near you (a business that deals with dogs) that might be interested in having a play group or socialization group?
If not I guess maybe you could make one, but that doesn't really solve the problem of WHERE they could socialize...