Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-19-2012, 07:52 PM   #281 
kfryman

There is an advertisement on the side that is for muscles, guess what dog is on there? A pitbull with cropped ears and is barking... I hate things like this.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 07:53 PM   #282 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Every single ad on this site for me is aquarium related.. filters, tanks..
One time I looked at rabbit cages, and I had rabbit cages on the side for 2 days..
It KNOWS what you were searching online o-o
-so off topic-
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 07:59 PM   #283 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
Yea the main argument for ears is that less infection gets in them.. We've never had problems with floppy eared boxers though.
I've never really known a reason for tail docking though, it used to be so any wild animal/dog would have less to bite, since tails break easily and it is a painful break.. Now I believe the purpose is considered more "preserving the historic image."
I know tails are docked when pups are under 5 days old.. the nerves in the tail aren't fully developed, so it's not as bad as it could be.. still painful, you cut the link between the bone.. Ears are cut when dogs are under anesthesia, and you have to be really on top of it for the weeks after, changing bandages, to prevent an infection!
yes
that was the most annoying thing to deal with when I got my doberman. If I get another doberman it will have fully healed cropped ears.
To me, it looks weird to see a floppy eared doberman.
FishyFishy89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 08:09 PM   #284 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

I agree.. I've always wanted a noble majestic crop eared doberman.. However the only trustworthy cropper in Ontario lives 5 hours away and it takes weeks to get an appointment with him.. Far too late to crop her. I'd be too scared to go to just anyone. So my girl shall remain floppy!
I think cropping is fine, as long as you go to a responsible vet, and take care of the ears after.. Tail docking strikes me as worse even o-o
I want to become a vet, and I honestly don't know if I'd be willing to provide either service to people.
Old 03-19-2012, 08:39 PM   #285 
Aus

Cropping is not a popular thing here, and never has been - thank goodness. I think cropped ears look weird and unnatural, not noble at all. They look exactly like the mutilation they are, and the fact that it's NOT done for the dog's benefit, but to satisfy the owner's desire for a certain 'image' imposed on the dog (an image, btw, that makes a total mockery of all the complaints about the breed's aggressive public image - as it's only aggressive-image breeds that get ears docked to make them look more aggressive, it doesn't happen to poodles..) -- I find that terribly hypocritical as well as incredibly selfish.

Sadly, docking is as just as prevalent here as in the States. I always feel a happy little glow when I see a lovely dobermann or rotty with natural ears & tail, way more magnificent in their natural, un-mutilated state.

I'm not a fan of animal mutilation, in case you couldn't tell..
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 08:44 PM   #286 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Just wanted to say- cropped ears, not scary ;)

I don't mind the look.. but like as said, as a vet, I don't think I'd have the heart to cut a newborn pup's tail off.
Old 03-19-2012, 09:20 PM   #287 
Aus

Agreed, not scary.

Deformed and unnatural. But not scary. ;)
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 09:41 PM   #288 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

I understand your point. It's changing the animal cosmetically. It's already illegal in the EU and a few other places. Fewer and fewer vets do it here in Canada. In a way it does make me happy.. but in another way, I think these dogs just look funny with long tails and such (personal opinion). I think if it became illegal I'd have to get a dog that isn't traditionally docked.
That comment was more toward the fact that that's a toy breed dog and you said they only crop big tough dogs. Btw, tail docking is fairly common in poodles. :p
http://www.gentledoberman.com/doberm...ng/controversy
The argument presented by Gentle Doberman says that cropped is the natural form of the ear.. o-o I guess it's just a personal perspective. I was personally hesitant to consider cropping, even if it would have been possible, due to the way people look at a dobie with cropped ears, not everyone sees "noble". It's something that we will never agree on :D
Either way, if people are doing it responsibly, I don't have much problem.. Those idiots that just hack off a pitbull's ears with a dull knife should be locked away for a long time however.
Old 03-19-2012, 09:49 PM   #289 
Laki

Quote:
Originally Posted by MollyJean View Post
I've heard the reason to doc tails is because a pit's tail is very powerful and can hurt if it hits you by accident,
Has anybody ever been whipped by a greyhound's tail!??!? OUCH! Yet you never see a docked grey. Greyhounds are hardly dogs at all though! Just silly clowns <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishyFishy89 View Post

Ear cropping makes the dog look meaner and more aggressive. For certain breeds (like the doberman) it makes them appear more alert, protective and noble.
I'm not sure on tail docking, i believe it is just a fad that became breed standard for some breeds.
I don't think the dog looks "noble".. My opinion is that the owner wanted it done for appearances. The Great Dane's cropped ears make it look somewhat more noble than floppy danes but I'd rather a clown any day!
Tail docking, I'm not sure in some breeds but in tradition here in Newfoundland, the beagle is the most widely used hunting dog. They are so abused and neglected that I just cannot describe the cruelty done to them (www.beaglepaws.com is a good start though) Some hunters dock the tails to prevent it from getting damaged in the s****y kennels they live in and from excitement during the hunt.. Though I think that's a load of ****.

Quote:
Yea the main argument for ears is that less infection gets in them.. We've never had problems with floppy eared boxers though.

I know tails are docked when pups are under 5 days old.. the nerves in the tail aren't fully developed, so it's not as bad as it could be.. still painful, you cut the link between the bone.. Ears are cut when dogs are under anesthesia, and you have to be really on top of it for the weeks after, changing bandages, to prevent an infection!
Floppy ears = infection? That's only true if the owner fails to clean them!!! My terrier got only one ear infection during his life, although his ears were short.. I think cropped boxers look weird, I like floppy.

When tail docking is done by a registered vet, and responsible breeders it is done within 5 days. HOWEVER, to save money, many hunters here (and many byb's) do it themselves with elastic bands. Slowly and painfully the circulation is cut off and infection wipes off the tail. Sometimes the would heals, sometimes it remains infected and then the cruel experimenter must treat that with homemade antibiotics or whatever they have on hand to avoid the vet. Trust me, I've seen some pretty bad beagle cases.

Quote:
Every single ad on this site for me is aquarium related.. filters, tanks..
One time I looked at rabbit cages, and I had rabbit cages on the side for 2 days..
It KNOWS what you were searching online o-o
-so off topic-
www.adblockpro.com it's freeeeee!!!! And I never see ads!
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 09:55 PM   #290 
registereduser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus View Post
Cropping is not a popular thing here, and never has been - thank goodness. I think cropped ears look weird and unnatural, not noble at all. They look exactly like the mutilation they are, and the fact that it's NOT done for the dog's benefit, but to satisfy the owner's desire for a certain 'image' imposed on the dog (an image, btw, that makes a total mockery of all the complaints about the breed's aggressive public image - as it's only aggressive-image breeds that get ears docked to make them look more aggressive, it doesn't happen to poodles..) -- I find that terribly hypocritical as well as incredibly selfish.

Sadly, docking is as just as prevalent here as in the States. I always feel a happy little glow when I see a lovely dobermann or rotty with natural ears & tail, way more magnificent in their natural, un-mutilated state.

I'm not a fan of animal mutilation, in case you couldn't tell..
+++++1
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote