Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-28-2012, 11:23 PM   #381 
Sena Hansler

I kind of wish there were a way to stop bad people from breeding bad dogs. Like that "service dog" who btw I still think should've never made it to any inexperienced hands, and only into a professional who could deal with bad-genetics-aggressive kinda dogs
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 08:05 AM   #382 
atomicjade

"Pit Bull" is no longer a relevance to a breed but is rather a type. Any dog that has a blocky head is considered a "pit bull" (especially in the media's eyes). I have a registered American Pit Bull Terrier and I can't tell you how many people think she is a mix, or a pup, because she does not have a massive head and weighs 45 pounds. Unfortunately the general public cannot even seem to recognize a real APBT and the "pit bull" is known for being 80+ lbs monsters with giant noggins, wide barrels, straight shoulders, and posty hinds... when in reality an APBT should be nothing of the sort. The sad reality is that all of these "attacks" by pit bulls are a combination of backyard breeding, irresponsible owners, and the population as a whole being generally ignorant to the point where they have no clue what they are even looking at.

If you choose to own this breed, dog aggression is just something you have to be informed about and be prepared to manage it. Socialization is the basis for any dogs upbringing, but no matter how much you do expose your APBT to other dogs it in no way guarantees safety. My dog is very well behaved with others but I always keep a close watch on her, because while I trust her not to start anything I do NOT trust other peoples dogs, and I do know that she would finish any sort of altercation. Unfortunately in any sort of issue with a APBT involved, they will undoubtedly receive the blame... whether its warranted, and in many cases, when its not.

Having a APBT is different from any other breed of dog. It is not for everyone. Besides the dog aggression tendencies, APBT are extremely athletic and need an outlet. You will also find yourself many times on the defending end against the uninformed (and opinionated) types. That being said, I always have an APBT. I love all dogs, but this one is the one for me.
atomicjade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 08:01 AM   #383 
Inga

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicjade View Post
"Pit Bull" is no longer a relevance to a breed but is rather a type. Any dog that has a blocky head is considered a "pit bull" (especially in the media's eyes). I have a registered American Pit Bull Terrier and I can't tell you how many people think she is a mix, or a pup, because she does not have a massive head and weighs 45 pounds. Unfortunately the general public cannot even seem to recognize a real APBT and the "pit bull" is known for being 80+ lbs monsters with giant noggins, wide barrels, straight shoulders, and posty hinds... when in reality an APBT should be nothing of the sort. The sad reality is that all of these "attacks" by pit bulls are a combination of backyard breeding, irresponsible owners, and the population as a whole being generally ignorant to the point where they have no clue what they are even looking at.

If you choose to own this breed, dog aggression is just something you have to be informed about and be prepared to manage it. Socialization is the basis for any dogs upbringing, but no matter how much you do expose your APBT to other dogs it in no way guarantees safety. My dog is very well behaved with others but I always keep a close watch on her, because while I trust her not to start anything I do NOT trust other peoples dogs, and I do know that she would finish any sort of altercation. Unfortunately in any sort of issue with a APBT involved, they will undoubtedly receive the blame... whether its warranted, and in many cases, when its not.

Having a APBT is different from any other breed of dog. It is not for everyone. Besides the dog aggression tendencies, APBT are extremely athletic and need an outlet. You will also find yourself many times on the defending end against the uninformed (and opinionated) types. That being said, I always have an APBT. I love all dogs, but this one is the one for me.

So very true. I think part of the problems with the public view of Pit Bulls is the PRO Pit Bull people (some not all) want to pose them as Teddy Bear dogs in all situations. It is like they are over compensating for negative press. Sadly, I think others then get the breed and either refuse to see the possibilities or don't realize that even a very well socialized Pit Bull can still have a tendancy toward dog aggression and that it can show up out of the blue.

Also true the fact that MOST people wouldn't know a pure bred Pit Bull if it was standing next to them. The media makes them out to be tough as nails, stronger then any other dog almost super dogs in a bad way. People picture them as giants and they are actually a medium size dog, even on the smaller side of that. I have had people come and marvel at my Pit Bulls on many occasions and swear that they were Pit Bulls. I own Rottweilers, they look NOTHING like a Pit Bull but people see the big head and muscles and think it must be a Pit Bull.

I am on a dog forum and this week there were 2 fatalities at dog parks. Each of them involved Huskies NOT Pit Bulls or Rottweilers. It is strange how the Media doesn't jump all over those. If those were Pits there would be many articles in the paper and much more hype about BSL again.
Inga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 11:56 AM   #384 
Laki

Huskies. They might be the next "target" for the media, I'm afraid. People get in way too deep with such a working breed, feed it once a day and stick it in the backyard. It will get frustrated!
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 01:54 PM   #385 
tpocicat

I found this list on a site named "Dogs that could cause homeowners insurance rates to rise" they are:
Akita, Alaskan Malamute, Chow Chow, Doberman Pinscher, German Shepherd, Pit Bull, Presa Canario, Rottweiler, Siberian Husky, Staffordshire Bull Terrier, and Wolf Hybrid.
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 10:10 AM   #386 
SnowySurface

Ok...I know this is a bit off topic but I have to ask. Why on earth would a Chow Chow raise your insurance rates?
SnowySurface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 10:28 AM   #387 
Laki

Chow Chows are fighters/protectors. In the USA at least.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 11:00 AM   #388 
tpocicat

My daughter used to work at a vet's office, and she was the only one that wasn't afraid of one of the customer's Chows.
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 12:29 PM   #389 
TuiAndLa

OMG, the subject of chows!!! -sPaZ- =D

Sorry... -composes self-.... ahem.

Yea, chows are my heart breed. So many people fear them or say they're mean. Sure, if they're raised badly or bred badly (same as pitties). But I looooooove chows. Their temperament/character matches mine and every one I've met has been a sweetheart. :3 I've particularly, at the moment, been half-obsessive with searching pics of chows. =P

Anyway, about the pitties. Yes, very true indeed, most people don't know wth a true APBT is anymore. Sad that people get their greedy hands on lovely breeds and screw them up as much as they can. I think this also happened to the chow chow before, which is why they get a bad rap too.
TuiAndLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 11:09 AM   #390 
Bettas Rule
Banned

Not sure if anyone is interested but we are trying to get people to sign this petition to save this pit bulls life......
http://www.change.org/petitions/wayn...ion-on-peanut#
Bettas Rule is offline   Reply With Quote