Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-12-2012, 01:36 PM   #31 
MollyJean

I have 3 cats. I am a cat person.. have had them all my life, and I've never owned one who was an outright mean cat. Take the 3 I have now. Miko is TINY, she purrs all the time and she's the kind of cat if you pick her up she gets floppy, goes limp; She never fights. My 3 year old niece can walk around with her without trouble.. she's 100% trusting of people.

My twins, Caine and Tyrael, are cuddle monsters, always want to be around people, love strangers and are just too lazy to hunt.

Yet if these cats are upset, mishandled or mistreated they will claw and bite. If I catch Miko in a really bad mood she'll bite at my hand. She's scared of lightening and thunder and most loud sounds and if you try to hold her during a storm you're going to get clawed. Caine, as sweet as he is, bites toes when he wants to be fed. It's a personality trait I haven't figured out how to curb, and they all just accidentally claw at times, jumping onto my lap or shoulders.

Anyone who owns cats knows they can't be trained like a dog can, they don't listen to a word you say and they can and do draw blood. But they're small, cute and mostly harmless, so no one's going to regulate them and most of the time, a cat attack isn't newsworthy. Same with small dogs. I've been snapped at by more chihuahua's then anything else, but the owners always brush it off "Oh he's in a bad mood" "Oh she's just playing" Yeah.. playing in the blood gushing from my thumb. But these dogs and cats are never held responsible for their actions, never put down for being vicious.

lizards, hamsters, mice, snakes, spiders... people keep pets that are just dangerous... -untrainable- and dangerous, because like it or not, they are animals. As much as we domesticate them, they're still, in some part, wild animals.

All dogs have the potential to be dangerous. With Pitbulls, they where bred to be hunters. They're bred from terriers and those are some vicious animals. but ANY dog has the potential to cause harm. Let's face it, it's like giving a butchers knife 4 legs and a mind of it's own.

Looking at all of this, I really do believe that the media and people in general sensationalize pitbull and "Pitbull-ish" dogs. I think there are far more people who have been bitten by non-pitbulls and haven't called up the local newspaper because "Teacup Poodle Snaps off Pinky" is just silly... but if it looks like a pit, it's a chance to make a splash. And a lot of these "Pitbulls" aren't even really pits. They're just identified as pits.

Here, try this, see if you get it right. And remember, this chart doesn't even have mixed breeds, just purebreeds. I've never owned a Pitbull before Sadie, and when I got her I tried this test and failed.

http://www.pitbullsontheweb.com/petbull/findpit.html
MollyJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 01:37 PM   #32 
Thebettaqueen

If a dog attacked another dog, it must've belonged to someone that was abusive or was a stray. Usually, if a dog is away from human contact for a while, they can convert to their 'wild' instints, or the animal ( or person) was much smaller than the dog. A lab attacked my pom pom, and he wasn't a stray. It was because my pom was much smaller, and looks extremely puffy. It was probably just a instint that EVERY dog has. Not just pits.
Thebettaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 01:38 PM   #33 
Thebettaqueen

Yeah, just as Mollyjean said.
Thebettaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 01:53 PM   #34 
Sena Hansler

My dad's dog got into a scat with a blue heeler O_O And it's because blue heelers, although wonderful dogs need a JOB. Actually, same goes for any "hunter" or "herder" dog. They need jobs I make my dad's dog unwind with bike rides, hill climbing, etc in the summer. I personally believe blue heelers and collies alike shouldn't be kept with lazy or "we don't exercise much" people because they NEED jobs!! or they do get irritated because they are bored. Same goes with any dog, who was made for a specific job.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 02:21 PM   #35 
revolutionrocknroll

I don't really believe that there are any "bad dogs," just bad owners. Although, there are dogs with psychological and neurotic issues that ARE dangerous and should probably be euthanized. But any sane dog that attacks someone should be blamed on the owner. But dogs that are properly bred, socialized, trained, etc, shouldn't be a problem.
revolutionrocknroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 02:27 PM   #36 
Sena Hansler

There's this German Shephard.... I watched as he grew up for a year, becoming a flipping service dog. The lady who owns him claims that ALL service dogs are trained to be SUPER protective and attack if they feel there is danger. Um, BULL. complete BULL.

This dog, was her excuse of a "he felt danger" when as a customer, she wanted help with something so I did. He almost attacked me when I walked by. I did not run, I was not feeling panicked or anything, nothing to actually set him off. Now, before when he was being trained he was STILL the same way! very nervous, tail between the legs, disliked people, loud noises and movement. And they STILL made him into a SERVICE DOG instead of rehoming him to a good loving family.

I grew up seeing many service dogs, all of which were calm, and never jumped at the first opportunity to tear your limbs off.

I got in trouble for BAD training. I did not train him. Service dogs yes are trained to protect and help, but NOT to attack willy nilly at movement. What if it were a child running by in the store? Or a baby in a stroller?? Would she still claim her dog was a "good boy" and "it was an accident" and that "they should be more careful"???!!! >:(

So yes. It IS people. Not the dogs in general. Some are born....with problems. Like him. He should've been in a home with responsible adults, not as a service dog. Ugh.
Old 03-12-2012, 02:47 PM   #37 
Aus

If bettas were massive and could leap out of their tanks to bite the faces off children, I dare say there'd be some move to legislate them, as well...

I feel sorry for responsible dog owners who favour traditionally aggressive breeds, I really do. People who obedience train, provide breed-specific methods of working against inbred aggression, who don't ever ever allow children to antagonise their dogs, and who keep their dogs on leashes when appropriate, and so on .. I feel bad for them, when they and their animals have to pay for other people's stupidity.

But, I fear, like responsible betta owners, responsible dog owners are in the vast minority compared to the amount of idiots out there who don't give a damn about the animal itself, or who really think they do and end up making a dog dangerous through sheer igorance.

Of course, I understand that other breeds are dangerous. But the OP brought up one breed in particular, and presumably opened a discussion on that breed.

My experience with that one breed is watching a pair of them eat another dog alive. Now, I have seen a lot of dogs fighting. Some seriously (it's horrible to watch). But I have never seen any other kind of dog be aggressive enough to smash a fence down and literally rip another dog apart --and then carry pieces of that dead dog away.

Yes, pitties are not the only breed which is genetically inclined toward vicious fighting (I am pretty sure nobody is arguing that?), but it is one of the breeds which are. And no matter what they were first bred for, many of the dogs today come from former (or present) pit-fighting lines. Hence they are still called 'pit bulls'. And, sadly, it's a very, very popular breed among stupid people, as Rottweilers used to be here, and Bull Terriers, and Shepherds before them.

IMO, an absolute zero-tolerance policy on ANY actively aggressive dog as far as the law goes, and much, much heftier penalties (or hey, what about some guaranteed jail time?) for owners of dogs which roam and attack people or their pets would do so much more to protect everyone concerned than merely focussing on the potential for harm in one breed. But that isn't going to happen any time soon, because that isn't what makes voters happy. So limits on specific breeds is what we're left with, I guess, and I am inclined to support it.

Because I am such a big ole meanypants.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 02:51 PM   #38 
Sena Hansler

big ole meanypants. lol!

I've been told, that pits against rotties... Pitbulls clamp their jaws, and won't let go unlike other possible "fighter" dogs. Which is why some places banned them.

Darn if we banned every breed that ever attacked a person we'd have NO dogs :/ truthfully :3 haha! and although they have been doing well in stopping illegal dog fights, it is still happening, it will never end, therefore I guess the ban on the breed is really the only way to go.

I got a question though. What if, in all the places illegal dog fights happen they banned the main fighter dog, pitbulls? People would just switch to other breeds, wouldn't they :/
Old 03-12-2012, 02:57 PM   #39 
revolutionrocknroll

Wow... service dogs aren't supposed to be aggressive. Their purpose is not to keep someone from getting attacked or something, it's to help people with disabilities live an independent life.
Did she train him herself or was he from an organization that provides service dogs or did she get a professional trainer or what?
revolutionrocknroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 03:11 PM   #40 
Sena Hansler

UGH. it made me SO mad!!! >:(
1. service dogs are NOT chosen by the -soon to be- owner. They are specifically picked, tested, and determined. Same as police dogs.
2. they are trained to be loyal companions who help in the times of trouble (actually being attacked aka reading distress signs in their owner), and times of need (opening the fridge or door, or turning off the light).

Organization apparently, here, in this town. Loyalty will have them protect - but they are not taught to freak out at movement!! He was actually just a rotten pick, in my opinion. A good dog, maybe, with a quiet home with adults. But not as...this....service dog. I am SO used to the calm, usually purebred properly bred/chosen pups becoming service dogs. Him? He has a longer nose, lanky appearance and all around there is something wrong in his genetics. :/ I dunno what's with our "service dog" group here, but if THAT is what they breed, we're going out of town for a REAL service dog if need be!

don't they specifically have breeding pairs that both parents have a long line of good temperament?