Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-19-2013, 05:52 PM   #561 
FishyFishy89

The dog attacked the child because it invaded through the fence. There for it was protecting it's home.
FishyFishy89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:43 PM   #562 
trilobite

It had no reason to attack unless the owner or the dog itself was under threat. Unprovoked/extreme attacks=poor nerve=bad breeding=bad dog.
trilobite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:05 PM   #563 
Granberry

Trilobite, I have had this conversation until I'm blue in the face. It won't work. They'll still say "Well, that 3 year old in his own yard shouldn't have put his hand through the fence....he should have recognized body language".

There are 2 solutions:
1. Attack the breed clubs. The AKC sets standards emphasizing trait we want to keep in dogs and penalizing traits that we don't. That's why black pugs shouldn't have white spots, Rottweilers must be strictlly obedient....and that's why it's okay for pit bull terriers to demonstrate aggressiveness in the ring. They like that. The want you to breed to that. Enough pressure on them, and perhaps that aggressive tendency can be bred out.

2. Approach it like the Rottweiler owners do. Twenty years ago, if you had an aggressive rot, you were an outcast. You were told to put that sucker down adn get another one. People were disgusted with the horror stories of their breed, so inead they changed the breed, instituted temperament testsing. Now, you don't hear about mean rottweilers very often.

But, as my grandmother used to say, if you wrestle with a pig in the mud, pretty soon you're both dirty, but the pig is enjoying it.
Granberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:12 PM   #564 
veggiegirl

If the child was in it's own backyard then as far as I am concerned the dog had no right to attack, the parents of the child have a right to feel safe in their own home! The child has a right to play in it's backyard, the parents should not have to be terrified that in a split second if they turn their back their child will be attacked! The owners of the dog have a responsibility if they know the animal is aggressive to ensure it is not allowed in a situation where it can attack innocent children! or people or pets for that matter!!!!

The owners knowing the dog is so aggressive should have either blocked up the holes in the fence or restricted the animals access to the area. It is their animal that is causing the problem so ensuring it cannot harm others is their responsibility. Defending a pit bull that attacks a child for no good reason is just confirming peoples suspicion that these dogs are aggressive and not to be trusted because it suggests that this is common behavior for the breed which just feeds their bad reputation.
veggiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:35 PM   #565 
FishyFishy89

The child crossed the fence line WITHOUT the owner. To the dog, that is deemed a threat.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:47 PM   #566 
trilobite

Haha its like an endless circle

I agree that pit bull lovers are the ones breeding the dogs, pit bull lovers are buying the dogs, pit bull lovers are defending dogs and its the pit bull lovers that need to do something about the "pit bull problem"

Sitting around saying "oh but it was their fault, and their fault. The dog is innocent" wont change a single thing.
Stop breeding them, breed only ones who pass temperament tests and are a champion of some sort. Then dont let any old numpty buy one, and neuter the ones you buy. Pit bulls arent for just any person, they are a high drive, game bred, muscular athlete with high potential for dog aggression and animal aggression.

In my opinion dog aggression in pit bulls is fine, they were selected for it and its what made them the dog they are today. The owners just need to be a bit smarter about owning and managing them, like dont take one to a dog park.

Human aggression in any breed especially pit bulls because of their bad reputation should not be tolerated at all. An HA dog should be put down ASAP.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:48 PM   #567 
trilobite

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishyFishy89 View Post
The child crossed the fence line WITHOUT the owner. To the dog, that is deemed a threat.
As I said earlier, a dog that deems everything as a threat and acts extremely is an unstable dog with bad nerves. 99% of dogs can handle an arm poking through a fence
Old 02-19-2013, 08:52 PM   #568 
veggiegirl

That does not mean it is okay for the dog to go around ripping children's arms off! If someone had actually entered the yard or someone was trying to break in through a door or window that would be different......the dog would have a right to defend it's territory but even then it should not attack without a command from it's owner. No matter how you look at this whether or not the dog 'gave a warning' it is still a dangerous animal that should not have been in a situation where it could attack the child.

Last edited by veggiegirl; 02-19-2013 at 08:57 PM.
veggiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:08 PM   #569 
eatmice2010

I see it as a wrong on both behalves!!

Were where the parents of the three year old, he/she shouldn't have been left alone?

And the parents of the dog should have associated the dog with young kids.
eatmice2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:08 PM   #570 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
Originally Posted by trilobite View Post
As I said earlier, a dog that deems everything as a threat and acts extremely is an unstable dog with bad nerves. 99% of dogs can handle an arm poking through a fence
That "99% of dogs"(which really isn't 99% of dogs) aren't trained guard dogs.