Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-20-2013, 06:41 AM   #581 
Freyja
Banned

First off Oklahoma...not a sensible place...the US definitely not a sensible country...banning a breed is about as effective as the proposed bans on high capacity cartridges. Instead of outright banning, how about putting your efforts into education, weeding out the bad sort, and working with owners, breeders, clubs to stop breeding for aggression and breed for temperament. Because if we are banning and putting down human aggressive dogs, there are going to be a lot of toy breeds that will suffer heavy losses. Damn chihuahuas!
Freyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:36 AM   #582 
SnowySurface

[quote=Granberry;1437432]Sorry, I can't find the official news story without spending more than 5 minutes, but here are a couple:

Video links removed

In light of that last citation, it cracks me up that this thread is titled "hated for no reason". Count the number of buried children, and that gives me a reason. Maybe not FishyFishy since she believes 3-year-olds shouldn't be able to play in their own back yards unless they have a thorough understanding of dogs they cannot even see through their own fence, but hey, maybe the rest of us care.

But when you get worked up about this, folks, rest easy. We're working on the laws, and we will get them passed. Just like the UK did, just like all sensible places do. It's just a short matter of time. Besides, having been married to a police officer who loves dogs, I trust them to do what has to be done sometimes. They're experts at "body language".

Am I the only one who wants to blame the owner for not fixing the hole in the fence? Any one who owns a Pit should know that any fence used to house the dog has to be 100% secure. If the fence didn't have a hole in it, this wouldn't have happened.

I also agree that more laws won't help because of the illegal activities and ignorance that leads to most pit bull problems. The people owning pit bulls illegally for illegal dog fights will ignore new laws just like they are ignoring old laws. The people who don't know current pit bull laws won't bother to learn the new pit bull laws. Stricture laws will only make it harder for the good pit bull owners.

All I see is a pit bull owner who was too lazy to fix a fence that should have been 100% secure in the sense that the dog can't dig out under neath, can't jump over it, and can't go through. If you have a pit bull you can't have a fence that is compromised even if the hole is barely bigger than a 3 year old's arm. If more pit owners were more responsible, arguements like this wouldn't happen. Articles like the ones in the qouted text wouldn't be printed.

More people need to own pit bulls properly (in accordance with current laws) or not own them at all.

Last edited by SeaHorse; 02-20-2013 at 10:17 AM.
SnowySurface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:04 AM   #583 
Oldfishlady

All dogs can bite...its the degree of damage from a dog bite that can differ between different breeds of dogs.

What would you rather be bitten by...a toy breed or a pit bull....

The day when you have children or work in an ER when a child is brought into the ER half eaten by a pit bull and you still wish to defend the rights of a pit bull over the rights of a child...well...I will keep that comment to myself...But, It is a sad day.....when we blame the child and defend a dog regardless.

Had the owner of the pit bulls in the case of the 3 years old child-Followed the law-the child would still have his arm today. But the pit bull owner was breaking the law by keeping more than 2 pit bulls, he failed to have the 50 thousand dollar insurance, had ill repaired containment for the pit bulls or proper containment for the pit bulls.....It was the pit bull owner responsibility-Not the 3yr old or his parents responsibility and the 3yr old is who paid the price for the irresponsible pit bull owner.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:37 AM   #584 
FishyFishy89

I read the article, which BTW it is possibly not even the exact story as there are several stories of children getting attacked by "pit bulls", in that article both parties at at fault. The dog owner didn't fix his fence and the child's parents weren't keeping a watchful eye over the child.

And seriously Granberry, you obviously don't spend time around animals. Go back into history and look up dog attacks, 1st it was the chow chow, then it was the german sheppard, the doberman, the rottweiler, and now the pit bull. WHEN are people going to put the blame on themselves??? NEVER! Because people only care about money and they sit there and breed and breed and breed these animals!!! Never bothering to pay attention to temperament, health and stability. The REAL pit bull was bred as a hunting dog much like the Labrador and the terrier breeds are. The dogs aren't at fault, the people who refuse to see what they're doing wrong are. And you are also one of the people who are doing wrong. You're refusing to educate yourself properly about dogs.

The cop, he had a right to shoot that dog. BUT SERIOUSLY!!! PUT THE DAMN THING OUT OF IT'S MISERY!!! DON'T LET IT LAY THERE CRYING BECAUSE IT'S OWNER WAS A DUMB IDIOT AND DIDN'T KEEP HIM ON A LEASH! And BTW, that video is WWWAAAYYYY to violent for this forum. The dog was crying in pain and the cop was too dumb to do anything but protect himself and then stand there and go "duh the dog is crying, what do i do?" You should of never posted that video. You are someone who doesn't care about dogs. I'm fairly certain you were sitting there saying "yeah! let that dog cry!!" Because it's clearly the dog's fault and not his dumb owners. That video really peed me off. It's dumb idiots like that owner and the cop(for letting the dog suffer) that tick me off.

If you have a dog, your home should be secure. My best friend's rat terrier was always escaping the backyard. You know what her mom did? She dug several feet below her fence line and lined those areas with bricks and she also maintains maintenance on the fence. THAT is a responsible dog owner. She didn't go out and micro chip that dog or buy into some dumb company that tracks the dog when he escapes. Nope. She found a way to keep him IN. If you cannot keep in your dog, you shouldn't be having him.

Last edited by FishyFishy89; 02-20-2013 at 09:48 AM.
FishyFishy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:40 AM   #585 
acitydweller

Its not so much the breed and dot as it is the type of people who keep them...
acitydweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:25 AM   #586 
Oldfishlady

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishyFishy89 View Post
I read the article, which BTW it is possibly not even the exact story as there are several stories of children getting attacked by "pit bulls", in that article both parties at at fault. The dog owner didn't fix his fence and the child's parents weren't keeping a watchful eye over the child.
Would you agree that a person should have a reasonable expectation of safety in the confines of their own backyard. Isn't the enclosed backyard the safe haven for our children.

I am sure your children are allowed to play outside in their yard without you hovering over them or play in their room unattended. You being a parent should understand that you can't keep an eye on your child all the time within reason of course. Being a parent we understand that anything can happen in a split second-regardless if we are standing there or not.

I live in Oklahoma and not far from where this incident took place and have followed it closely.

The inclosed backyard of this little boy would have been safe-had the owner of the pit bulls been responsible and followed the laws.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:50 AM   #587 
FishyFishy89

No. I understand things can happen in a spilt second. Which is why I would stand or sit on my porch and watch my children play(when they are young). In their room I maybe more comfortable leaving them for a few seconds. But never outside. Especially if I know the next door neighbor has dogs. In fact, I wouldn't have chain link fences in my yard. I would have a privacy fence and my husband would monitor it often for issues that need to be addressed. Once they're older and have proven they think the way I've taught them to, they will have the privilege to play by themselves with certain check ups.

My in laws live in an excellent community. A community in which it is older couples, first time home owners or families that inherited homes from their parents or grandparents. 1 next door neighbor has an older chihuahua and the other neighbor has 3 Maltese type dogs.my husband grew up in that house and grew up knowing the chihuahua. He also grew up with the understanding that you don't pet any dog without the owner's permission. He never reached through that fence to pet the dog he grew up with his whole childhood. Why? Because of a few things; 1 he understood that whats on the other fence is not his to touch 2 he understood that to touch anything beyond what is not his, he must ask permission and if told "no" he was not to go behind that person's back and touch it. And if he did, he reached punishment for it. Be it the hot stove or a snappy dog he met on the street. He's been bitten by few dogs in his life, but he doesn't go and say "that dog breed should be banned!!!"

I'm quite certain Grandberry would feel the way I feel about breed banning if I went and said fish tanks of a certain sized should be banned because they pose a health risk to homes. No I don't think that, but it's the same foolish thinking. I feel that breeding SHOULD be controlled and limited to only licensed people. But alas, people still drive vehicles without proper license, so people will still breed without proper license.

Last edited by FishyFishy89; 02-20-2013 at 10:57 AM.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:46 AM   #588 
Viva

Haven't we all learned from my thread (that got deleted) that its ALWAYS the human's fault no matter what. A human is the best communicator on the planet, and therefore has the responsibility of learning the behaviors of the animals they co-exist with. Many people treat their animals as property, just tools to protect their land/livestock. Other people treat them as children, and these are the people that usually have the vicious dogs because they treat them like HUMAN CHILDREN. Not DOG children.
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 01:44 PM   #589 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viva View Post
Haven't we all learned from my thread (that got deleted) that its ALWAYS the human's fault no matter what. A human is the best communicator on the planet, and therefore has the responsibility of learning the behaviors of the animals they co-exist with. Many people treat their animals as property, just tools to protect their land/livestock. Other people treat them as children, and these are the people that usually have the vicious dogs because they treat them like HUMAN CHILDREN. Not DOG children.
I agree. If we're going to live with animals, we need to be responsible about them. Learn how to read their communication, learn how to behave around them. You cannot spank a dog and expect it to learn(for example) don't chase that cat. They have no concept that a spanking tells them don't do whatever you just did. Alls they know is, "that hurt me. You're aggressive. I'm going to do some behaviors to act on that aggression" these behaviors can range anywhere from calming signals(such as lip licking) to actually biting someone.

Now, going back to that story about the child. It is possible that the dogs may have been repeatedly abused, will turn human aggressive. They'd likely be stressed out from the aggression from their owners. They don't know that child is harmless. They just know that the human in their life is aggressive. Maybe a hand reaching toward them could make them think that hand is aggressively reaching out to their leash or collar and they may get hurt. And yet again, due to that, it would be the owner's fault for creating such aggressive animals. But, some people will never realize it really is their fault for creating aggressive animals. There can be so many factors to creating an aggressive animal, anywhere from genetics, to stress, to illness, injury and even interaction from other animals or humans.

Last edited by FishyFishy89; 02-20-2013 at 01:51 PM.
Old 02-20-2013, 02:10 PM   #590 
trilobite

We need to be responsible by not breeding, or keeping unstable dogs. Human should never be tolerated in any breed, I dont see why you are adamant that aggression towards humans is fine and normal, and its never the fault of the dog. Im sorry but if a dog chooses to bite a human with intent to kill or maim then the dog is also at fault and should be killed.

I like pit bulls, I hate poorly bred and trained animals. Now if the pit bull lovers actually did something about BSL instead of sulking and whining about it, then maybe they can restore the publics faith in the breed.
Rotts, Dobes and GSDs managed to escape the image due to the owners actually recognizing a problem and doing something about it. A lot of pit bull lovers seem to be more along the lines of "no its the media hype! Its the bad owner! They are just like any other dog!" Just in complete denial that there is a problem which needs to be addressed if they want to save their breed.
trilobite is offline   Reply With Quote