Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-20-2013, 05:56 PM   #611 
Viva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granberry View Post
Guys, no reasonable BSL would "round up pit bulls and euthanize them".

In the UK, the law was that all pit bull type dogs had to be registered with a certain agency and be neutered and to be tagged. Those dogs were free to live their lives with their families. No breeding. When they died, the end. It wasn't a fast solution, but it was reasonable. It is the kind of solution we could come up with if Pit Bull owners weren't so stubborn and emotional.

BTW, I have 3 dogs, a pug, pomeranian and Cavalier King Charles. Prior to that, I had a pug and a Rottweiler. I loved the Rottweiler more than any of them. But my toddler dropped a piece of cheese and my dog reached for it the same time my son did. My dog defied his training. He was trained (formal obedience and daily work) to step back and sit. Instead he barked a warning bark, showed his teeth, and got the cheese. We put him down the next day and we all cried for a month, but it was what was the message the Rottweiler Breed Club was putting out. I was very active with in the AOL online forums, and everyone agreed - not one person dissented.. I remember one person who I didn't even like actually said to me "Your dog showed aggression towards your baby. How could you responsibly tolerate that?" I was devastated that he, in his old age, got cranky, but we don't risk that stuff in my house.
Responsible? There's not a single responsible person in office anywhere. They get elected and then do whatever they think is going to keep them in office or get re-elected. None of them follow their own primal morals because they're politicians.

And it has happened before. Here's a direct quote from an article about the 1987 Denver, Colorado pit bull ban. This ban extended to any dog that even resembled a pit bull.

"Denver's controversial Pit Bull Ban, which took effect in 1987 after a slew of attacks, has resulted in the execution of over 3,497 dogs, according to Westword."

"The Denver pit bull ban has been a subject of intense debate in Denver recently, as protesters have descended on city hall to call for an end to the ban. The city enacted a one-year moratorium on the ban in 2004 after the State of Colorado passed a law making the singling out of breeds illegal. The moratorium ended when the City of Denver won a law suit that determined the state law unconstitutional. The pit bull ban has been in place since."

I would post the link but there are disturbing pictures on it showing a pile of euthanized dogs.

People had the choice of either MOVING from their home in Denver, or fighting to get their dog back after being confiscated. Sadly, most of them failed.

Last edited by Viva; 02-20-2013 at 05:58 PM.
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:00 PM   #612 
FishyFishy89

Where'd my "Thank You" button go? xD
FishyFishy89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:05 PM   #613 
Viva

For anyone who hasn't seen the documentary Beyond the Myth you can watch it here if you have a Netflix account. It goes over the massacre that happened in Denver and gives you a personal view of how people felt going through losing their dog and fighting to get it back. It also gives real statistics, not made up ones the media likes to give.
Old 02-20-2013, 06:07 PM   #614 
Viva

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishyFishy89 View Post
Where'd my "Thank You" button go? xD
:D
Old 02-20-2013, 06:13 PM   #615 
Granberry

Owners of pit bull dogs and restricted dogs licensed within 60 days of the ordinance's effective date could keep their dogs only under restricted conditions, including:

if the dog is licensed, spay/neutered, vaccinated against rabies, and has microchip identification;

the owner is at least 21 years old and has at least $100,000 US liability insurance

the dog is kept indoors or locked in a secured pen, with government-provided warning signs posted at entrances to the property;

when off the property, the dog must be kept in a secure transportable container or must wear a muzzle while held on a four-foot long non-extensible leash;

the dog may not be sold or transferred to anyone outside the owner's immediate family
the owner must notify the government immediately if the dog is loose, stolen, at-large, unconfined, has mauled, bitten, attacked, threatened, or in any way menaced another animal or human, or has died.[30]

That's the "massacre of dogs law" I found. Really, if you love your dog that much, you should be doing these things anyway.

I haven't seen the videos y'all are referring to, but I did watch "In Dog We Trust" and it was so sad. The dogs at the pound (which, BTW, the pictures I saw that I assume were what you were refering to in Denver were taken...not somebody's pet...pound dogs) were so beautiful...collies, basset hounds, little puppies. Yes, it's sad to see dead dogs from the pound of any breed. Their owners should have done a better job.
Granberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:20 PM   #616 
MiyuMikaelson

Quote:
Owners of pit bull dogs and restricted dogs licensed within 60 days of the ordinance's effective date could keep their dogs only under restricted conditions, including:

if the dog is licensed, spay/neutered, vaccinated against rabies, and has microchip identification;

the owner is at least 21 years old and has at least $100,000 US liability insurance

the dog is kept indoors or locked in a secured pen, with government-provided warning signs posted at entrances to the property;

when off the property, the dog must be kept in a secure transportable container or must wear a muzzle while held on a four-foot long non-extensible leash;

the dog may not be sold or transferred to anyone outside the owner's immediate family
the owner must notify the government immediately if the dog is loose, stolen, at-large, unconfined, has mauled, bitten, attacked, threatened, or in any way menaced another animal or human, or has died.[30]

That's the "massacre of dogs law" I found. Really, if you love your dog that much, you should be doing these things anyway.

I haven't seen the videos y'all are referring to, but I did watch "In Dog We Trust" and it was so sad. The dogs at the pound (which, BTW, the pictures I saw that I assume were what you were refering to in Denver were taken...not somebody's pet...pound dogs) were so beautiful...collies, basset hounds, little puppies. Yes, it's sad to see dead dogs from the pound of any breed. Their owners should have done a better job.
So my dog needs to be sheltered from the world, muzzled or in some god-awful contraption when I'm in public for no reason and made to be some scary beast because it would please other people?

I'm not even sorry, but no. I "restrain" my dog just fine on her leash, she has every right to enjoy the outdoors and the dog park as she pleases. If anyone has an issue with it they can stay in their houses, tie up/kennel their dogs all the time and family up and keep /them/ from living.
MiyuMikaelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:24 PM   #617 
eatmice2010

Quote:

What law is that and were does it take place?
eatmice2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:25 PM   #618 
FishyFishy89

Yes they make you follow those unnecessary laws but they STILL kill thousands of innocent dogs! If you heard of Lennox and even watched the news, you'd know. Lennox's owners followed ALL the required so called laws and yet their dog STILL was killed. He never harmed a single person, never even looked wrong at someone. Lennox was actually horribly neglected while he was kept in custody as well. All this and more just because his head/body measured out to the "pit bull standard".

I strongly advise you to look up what is truly going on with BSL in UK and watch the video documentary "Off the Chain"
FishyFishy89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:31 PM   #619 
Viva

I find it scary that people actually agreed to do the euthanizations. People will do anything, no matter how unjust and evil, if they're told to do so by higher-ups. Reminds me of all the genocides that have happened in the past...and currently.
Old 02-20-2013, 06:32 PM   #620 
Granberry

Eatmice: Colorado.

Fishy: Was Lennox licensed like he was supposed to be? Regardless, it's really very sad if someone followed all the rules, and they lost their dog. But you can't allow a dangerous situation to continue just because of one administrative mistake. You are practically screaming that just because one pit bull kills a child doesn't mean they all will; yet you think that because of one alleged administrative mistake, the whole system should be judged?

Can you please list for me what you believe are feasible solutions to the problems the world faces by pit bull attacks? I've offered MULTIPLE. You haven't offered one. Remember, you can't legally force education on people, and tax dollars don't pay for things like inspections. So go for it. Offer viable solution that can be implemented statewide that will save little children from having their arms ripped off while they play in their own back yard.
Granberry is offline   Reply With Quote