Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-22-2013, 05:23 PM   #651 
FishFriend9292

There are faults in every species. Including humans. Just because there are some bad people, doesn't mean that we judge the entire human race by them. We should apply the same things to pit bulls. Sure there are some pit bulls that aren't very nice, but definitely not every single pit bull is bad. Just like people, I'm sure there are more good then bad. But you only ever hear about the bad because it is a big deal. You wouldn't find "Person plays and cuddles with a pit bull" in your local newspaper. I have met some of the sweetest dogs
ever, and they were pitbull. So just don't judge a pit bull by the reputation of the breed.
FishFriend9292 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:29 PM   #652 
xjenuhfur

My neighbors dog is a pit, all she ever wants to do is stick her face is your crotch and she wags her tail and looks at your afterwards like "pet me plz?" and does that pit smile.
The GOLDEN RETRIEVERS my other neighbors have got loose and ATTACKED the pit as my neighbor was taking her on a walk. What did the pit do? Hide and cower behind her owner as he fended off 2 golden retrievers.

So there is a new stereotype for your goldens. Vicious, vicious things.
xjenuhfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:53 PM   #653 
Kithy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishFriend9292 View Post
There are faults in every species. Including humans. Just because there are some bad people, doesn't mean that we judge the entire human race by them. We should apply the same things to pit bulls. Sure there are some pit bulls that aren't very nice, but definitely not every single pit bull is bad. Just like people, I'm sure there are more good then bad. But you only ever hear about the bad because it is a big deal. You wouldn't find "Person plays and cuddles with a pit bull" in your local newspaper. I have met some of the sweetest dogs
ever, and they were pitbull. So just don't judge a pit bull by the reputation of the breed.
You're absolutely correct. The media only focuses on the negative because it's good press, basically. So no, we won't hear positive stories about pits unless say, the dog rescued someone or something. It's really unfortunate and I dislike it a lot. But I never judge an animal by it's breed, I judge it the same way I judge a person; by it's actions.
Kithy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:22 PM   #654 
Bombalurina

The media is to blame for a lot of negative perceptions people have of all kinds of things. They love to sensationalise the negative, whether in pit bulls, religious or social groups, politics...as was said, "Cuddly Pitbull" and "Muslim who isn't a terrorist" just don't make good headlines, even though (or perhaps because) those stories would in reality be so much more prevalent.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:51 PM   #655 
koincidenskis

It is true Pitbulls are more aggressive, but also misunderstood.....

HEAR ME OUT! I have owned a golden retriever, pitbull mix, and have "babysitter" many other breeds. Pitbulls have a predisposition to be more protective which in turn is valued as extreme aggression.

As you should all know it depends on the environment the dog is raised. My ex-roommate's pit bull mix is extremely protective and only picks out certain people that she likes. She loves to play with other dogs, but is still wary with some humans. She was raised in a house with other animals and had no abuse. However to the people she does like she is so lovable and cuddly.

I agree with the author, each dog, regardless of breed, has a different personality and shouldn't be labeled with a warning! I would get a pit bull any time because they are so loving.
koincidenskis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:34 PM   #656 
Kithy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombalurina View Post
The media is to blame for a lot of negative perceptions people have of all kinds of things. They love to sensationalise the negative, whether in pit bulls, religious or social groups, politics...as was said, "Cuddly Pitbull" and "Muslim who isn't a terrorist" just don't make good headlines, even though (or perhaps because) those stories would in reality be so much more prevalent.
This. 1000000000% This. If someone says "Pitbull saves X from X" people will go aw, but probably not stop to read the article, share it on a social media website, watch the news, etc. But you say "Pitbull attacks child" EVERYONE is going to read it, watch it, share it, etc. I've come across a few videos on youtube titled "Vicious pitbull attack" and it is literally the owner's small daughter laying on the dog and the dog just laying there, doing what a good dog does.

But it's hard to go against the main stream media, it really is. They're going to do whatever they can to get ratings and happy stories do not get ratings like horrible ones. I can't even watch the news anymore, it's too depressing.

@koincidenskis, I believe you're also correct. Many dogs are "aggressive" because they are guard dogs, they're breed specifically to protect their owners. I mean, I'd hope that if a random stranger came into my house poised to attack me that my guard dog would attack that person to save me. Isn't that the point of having a guard dog? So dogs breed with that intent can be seen as more aggressive just because of their protectiveness.

Of course any "protective" breed dog raised in poor situations will likely bite the hand that feeds it, that's common sense. You don't hit your dog and then be shocked when it finally bites ya, right?
Kithy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:27 PM   #657 
catmel

I've just resigned myself that most people are ignorant, love drama and are drawn to blood and guts ( Ever stop to think why traffic is so bad around a wreck when theres two wide open lanes? People stop to gape in hopes of seeing gorey stuff).
Anyway, sadly, many good breeds have been made into 'demons' by the media. Did you know in the early 1900's the Bloodhound was deemed vicious and blood thirsty? Then of course German Shepherds, Dobies, Rotties, and of course Pit Bulls.

Pit bulls are terriers, threfor they tend to be more 'scrapy' with other animals, but any terrier will do this.. yorkie, jack russel, airdale etc. There are however good examples of all breeds, just as there are bad ones. DOGS ARE INDIVIDUALS.. like humans. Yes, they may have certian characteristics, but are not all 'doomed' to the same mold. Some of it does indeed have to do with how the pet is raised, but that doesnt take into account the whole equation. Take for example the Michael Vick dogs.. all rescued have CGC ( canine good citizen) certificates, and have great homes, and some are even therapy dogs.

Dogs raised in great environments can also be not so great dogs. Bully breeds are popular so therefor overbred a lot and are prone to random breeding, genetic issues and of course people just breeding dogs because they look a certian way, rather than for temperment, soundness etc. Because they're in such demand, such good dogs can have major issues. This goes for any breed though. I have met a downright nasty golden retriever that was from a pet store ( who bought it from a puppy mill), and have met many not so nice Dalmations. Its the breeds popularity and the lack of proper breeding and screening that hurts the breed. Pit bull type dogs were not bred to be human agressive, the dogs that are are a result from criminal idiots who have taken human agressive dogs and bred the trait further, and of course usually beat the crap out of them and abuse them in an attempt to make them 'meaner'. Dogs tend to fight in the ring because as a breed they are extreame people pleasers and will do anything for their owner, even if that means getting eaten alive. Of course sadly people chose terriers for this.. they were ment to hunt tough vermin that could bite the crap out of them ( rats, badgers etc.)

They are not for everyone, and it takes the right owner. You would not want a border collie for a 30 story apartment, nor would you want a chihuaha for a sled dog or serious running partner. You could expect the Border Collie to turn destructive and potentially agressive if kept in a cage in a high rise apartment all day.. certainly doesnt mean all Border collies are bad.

BSL makes no sense.. when do criminals follow the law anyhow? if the media would stop giving them so much attention, maybe the 'bad people' would lose interest. To me its very similar to racism. I dont take the " but its a big strong dog' argument. Look at a great dane.. big strong dogs, bred for guarding/working.. very easily could hurt you if they wanted to.. and i'm sure theres been attacks, but since its not a 'pit bull no one cares or reports it to the media'. Not saying Great Danes are mean, just using for an example :)

Anyway, get to know one before you judge. You'd be surprized.

I love my pit mix. You dont have to want to own a pit, just dont lead into the hype and 'help' have thousands of dogs killed every day just because of how it looks..

Last edited by catmel; 03-05-2013 at 11:31 PM.
catmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 12:06 AM   #658 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Quote:
+1 (million). Humans do have a lot of faults. Hmm... How many people have died from humans (not just directly, but also by things like cancer caused by things released into the environment)? And how many people have died because of pit bulls?
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 12:15 PM   #659 
Granberry

I think we should let people own lions if they want. Who cares if they're big and strong and can eat a kid? It's all about the individual, not the breed. Why, just look at this for proof. [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Xp7M0_hdUE"]Lion hugs a woman - YouTube[/ame]

Again, I have to resort to the actual evidence:

38 U.S. fatal dog attacks occurred in 2012. Despite being regulated in Military Housing areas and over 600 U.S. cities, pit bulls contributed to 61% (23) of these deaths. Pit bulls make up less than 5% of the total U.S. dog population.

California and North Carolina led fatalities in 2012, each with 4 deaths. 75% of the California deaths occurred in San Diego County. Pit bull-type dogs accounted for 88% (7) of the 8 deaths. New Mexico, Ohio and Texas followed, each with 3 deaths.

From 2005 to 2012, pit bulls killed 151 Americans, about one citizen every 19 days.

Last edited by Granberry; 03-06-2013 at 12:20 PM. Reason: Add some statistics
Granberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 12:53 PM   #660 
SnowySurface

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granberry View Post
I think we should let people own lions if they want. Who cares if they're big and strong and can eat a kid? It's all about the individual, not the breed. Why, just look at this for proof. [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Xp7M0_hdUE"]Lion hugs a woman - YouTube[/ame]

Again, I have to resort to the actual evidence:

38 U.S. fatal dog attacks occurred in 2012. Despite being regulated in Military Housing areas and over 600 U.S. cities, pit bulls contributed to 61% (23) of these deaths. Pit bulls make up less than 5% of the total U.S. dog population.

California and North Carolina led fatalities in 2012, each with 4 deaths. 75% of the California deaths occurred in San Diego County. Pit bull-type dogs accounted for 88% (7) of the 8 deaths. New Mexico, Ohio and Texas followed, each with 3 deaths.

From 2005 to 2012, pit bulls killed 151 Americans, about one citizen every 19 days.
I think you are missing the point of what anti BSL members are trying to say. ^_^;

You picked two areas of the US that are known for having problems with dog fighting. So I would assume that at least 5-8 of those 23 pits didn't come from the best homes possible. But even if all of those pits came from fabulous homes, only 23 were involved in fatal bits in that section of the US.

If you are correct that pits make up 5% of dogs in the USA and the ASPCA estimate of the number of dogs in the USA is correct, then there are approximately 3.91 million pit bills live in the USA. That means only 0.5882x10-5% pit bulls killed people in two states. Based on these facts, why should an entire breed be banned because you found evidence that less than 0.000006% of them are killed?

That is want anti-BSL poeple are trying to get the general public to see. You are judging an entire breed by a ridiculously small sample of its members.
SnowySurface is offline   Reply With Quote