Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-12-2012, 08:44 PM   #81 
FishyFishy89

Ive seen aggressive dogs handled by a different person and the dog's aggression is COMPLETELY gone.
Same with a disobedient dog being handled by a different person. It happened while at the dog park today. Someone was having an issue controlling both dogs at the same time. I asked if she wanted a hand and she handed me the brindle dog. That dog became a complete angel while it's friend lunged at everything. She thought she was going insane. Traded dogs with me and then the brindle was lunging and the one she was leading was walking right beside me.
FishyFishy89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 08:59 PM   #82 
Granberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by revolutionrocknroll View Post
Eh, I guess it's individual choice. If I had a child and I cared about it and my dog attacked it for no reason, then I would get rid of the dog. But if the kid was doing something to hurt, frighten, or annoy the dog, I would have seen the warning signs and told the kid to stop, but if I hadn't, and the dog snapped at the kid to tell it to back off, then there's a reason and the problem wouldn't be that the dog is aggressive, it would be that there wasn't proper supervision and you just have to make sure you're paying attention when the kid and dog are together.

I just don't think that it's completely fair to call the owner stupid when you don't know the circumstances.

Edit: Here are statistics that I'VE found: A Dose of Reality
I don't know if you have kids or not, but until you have raised a toddler, you can't really understand what you're saying about "eh, the kid will learn to respect animals". It isn't a matter of learning, of misbehaving children. It's just children! They're uncoordinated. They fall, they grab floppy things, they don't understand their own weight. We would never say, "well, if they play in the street, they'll learn to respect cars". . Cars have to follow laws to avoid running over children. whether children are careless or not. Our society protects children against the foolishness of their youth.

Pit bulls are ridiculously strong animals. A few years back in our state, a 3-year-old put his hand through a hole in his fence, and the pit bull on the other side bit his hand and yanked his arm. off. Completely severed it. Moore Boy Recovers From Pit Bull Attack - Oklahoma City News Story - KOCO Oklahoma City

I don't see how anyone could say that a dog that is capable of pulling a 3-year-old's arm off by biting his hand and jerking it through a fence is something we want to allow in a residential community at all, ever. And I can't believe anyone with any experience with children would seriously say, "well, the kid was teasing him".

Just to tell my own little story, I owned a rottweiler, Bogey, for eight years. My two oldest kids were preschoolers when we bought him, but then I had another baby after we'd got him, so I ended up with a baby and a rottweiler in the house, not ideal but unavoidable. Bogey did great in obedience training, and was a good mellow dog,. Still, I'm really protective of the kids, so I was vigilant. One day my youngest son who was about 4 by then dropped a square slice of cheese and it plopped in front of Bogey. They both reached for it, and Bogey barked a couple of very loud warning barks, took a step forward, and got the cheese.. A chill went up my spine, and we euthanized Bogey a few days later. I bawled, the kids bawled, my husband bawled, but I don't regret it. He was too big, too strong and too grumpy in his old age and my son was too little, too uncoordinated. I would never, ever have responded, "See son? That's why we respect dogs". It was sad, but of course it's what's right. Children come first, no matter what price.

Last edited by Granberry; 03-12-2012 at 09:01 PM.
Granberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 09:06 PM   #83 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granberry View Post
I don't know if you have kids or not, but until you have raised a toddler, you can't really understand what you're saying about "eh, the kid will learn to respect animals". It isn't a matter of learning, of misbehaving children. It's just children! They're uncoordinated. They fall, they grab floppy things, they don't understand their own weight. We would never say, "well, if they play in the street, they'll learn to respect cars". . Cars have to follow laws to avoid running over children. whether children are careless or not. Our society protects children against the foolishness of their youth.

Pit bulls are ridiculously strong animals. A few years back in our state, a 3-year-old put his hand through a hole in his fence, and the pit bull on the other side bit his hand and yanked his arm. off. Completely severed it. Moore Boy Recovers From Pit Bull Attack - Oklahoma City News Story - KOCO Oklahoma City

I don't see how anyone could say that a dog that is capable of pulling a 3-year-old's arm off by biting his hand and jerking it through a fence is something we want to allow in a residential community at all, ever. And I can't believe anyone with any experience with children would seriously say, "well, the kid was teasing him".

Just to tell my own little story, I owned a rottweiler, Bogey, for eight years. My two oldest kids were preschoolers when we bought him, but then I had another baby after we'd got him, so I ended up with a baby and a rottweiler in the house, not ideal but unavoidable. Bogey did great in obedience training, and was a good mellow dog,. Still, I'm really protective of the kids, so I was vigilant. One day my youngest son who was about 4 by then dropped a square slice of cheese and it plopped in front of Bogey. They both reached for it, and Bogey barked a couple of very loud warning barks, took a step forward, and got the cheese.. A chill went up my spine, and we euthanized Bogey a few days later. I bawled, the kids bawled, my husband bawled, but I don't regret it. He was too big, too strong and too grumpy in his old age and my son was too little, too uncoordinated. I would never, ever have responded, "See son? That's why we respect dogs". It was sad, but of course it's what's right. Children come first, no matter what price.
okay
how old was this dog?
he could of very easily been rehomed to someone else.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:11 PM   #84 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Which is why a powerful breed needs a powerful owner with a strong will. A dog needs to be put in it's place, especially a large breed. It's not oh we'll hurt his feelings. A dog needs to be treated like a dog and shown who's boss. :/ call me old fashioned and cruel, but I'd have rather sharply corrected that dog and put him into submission than just gave him up. A dog that knows it's the lowest member of the family would never dare harm any child, even over food. Our boxer that gets attacked by my little cousins just walks away- a proper response to not wanting to deal with a child. Granted she never was human aggressive, but any dog can be taught it's place in the family..
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 09:16 PM   #85 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
Which is why a powerful breed needs a powerful owner with a strong will. A dog needs to be put in it's place, especially a large breed. It's not oh we'll hurt his feelings. A dog needs to be treated like a dog and shown who's boss. :/ call me old fashioned and cruel, but I'd have rather sharply corrected that dog and put him into submission than just gave him up. A dog that knows it's the lowest member of the family would never dare harm any child, even over food. Our boxer that gets attacked by my little cousins just walks away- a proper response to not wanting to deal with a child. Granted she never was human aggressive, but any dog can be taught it's place in the family..
totally agree with you!!
This is why every member of my family will be involved in training.
When we got Emma, hubs did not want to contribute to training every weekend. As as result, Emma only listens to me. Sometimes I love it. But I get frustrated with it because she basically treats hubs and everyone else lower than her.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:19 PM   #86 
LionCalie

Quote:
I don't see how anyone could say that a dog that is capable of pulling a 3-year-old's arm off by biting his hand and jerking it through a fence is something we want to allow in a residential community at all, ever.
This is the kind of attitude I have a problem with. Lets lump all Pit bulls as undeserving and vicious. I work with a woman who had her arm ripped off by a run away horse. Those are big powerful animals too, but they are individuals and should be treated as such.
LionCalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 09:42 PM   #87 
Granberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishyFishy89 View Post
okay
how old was this dog?
he could of very easily been rehomed to someone else.
He was 8. When I was at the vet's having him put to sleep, a vet tech came in and whispered that said she'd take him off my hands and had land and several rotts. It annoyed me to no end that she would second guess my judgment. He was ours, and we were his, and it would have been cruel to rehome him. He would have been disoriented and confused to leave the only home he had ever known at his age (8 is pretty old for a rott). And letting him age at home wasn't an option for a strong, heavy dog who wasn't aging "gracefully" and lives with a 4-year-old.

The topic I was responding to was the idea of expecting children to "learn from their mistakes" in the context of really big strong dogs. It's an unreasonable defense and an irresponsible attitude to propagate.

My husband is a police captain in the city where this child's arm was severed, which is why I remembered it and Googled it. The pit owners were awful, said they weren't sorry, and raised a huge ruckus that 4 of their pits were put down who "didn't even bite anyone" (apparently not getting it that their dogs were taken from them because they were such crappy owners and euthanized because they are unadoptable). They were on the news channels saying "the child was teasing them!" as if that was an excuse. The child was 3, not to mention standing in his own back yard with a stockade fence between him and his neighbors' several dogs. If he got his arm bitten off by a police dog, you can guarantee I'd be outraged. If he got his arm bitten off by a tiger living in someone's back yard, I'd complain that tigers are too capable of hurting someone to keep in a residential neighborhood. Same with the dog that it was.

I haven't ever bred or rehomed a dog. Here's a picture of my present dogs, except we put the Chihuahua down last year.
Attached Images

Last edited by Granberry; 03-12-2012 at 09:48 PM.
Granberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 09:44 PM   #88 
registereduser

The most recent dog eats baby story I've seen was a husky.
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 09:48 PM   #89 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
He was 8. When I was at the vet's having him put to sleep, a vet tech came in and whispered that said she'd take him off my hands and had land and several rotts. It annoyed me to no end that she would second guess my judgment. He was ours, and we were his, and it would have been cruel to rehome him. He would have been disoriented and confused to leave the only home he had ever known at his age (8 is pretty old for a rott). And letting him age at home wasn't an option for a strong, heavy dog who wasn't aging "gracefully" and lives with a 4-year-old.

The topic I was responding to was the idea of expecting children to "learn from their mistakes" in the context of really big strong dogs. It's an unreasonable defense and an irresponsible attitude to propagate.

My husband is police captain in the city where this child's arm was severed, which is why I remembered it and Googled it. The pit owners were awful, said they weren't sorry, and raised a huge ruckus that 4 of their pits were put down who "didn't even bite anyone" and were on the news channels saying "the child was teasing them!" as if that was an excuse. The child was 3. If he got his arm bit off by a police dog, you can guarantee I'd be outraged. If he got his arm bitten off by a tiger living in someone's back yard, I'd complain that tigers are too capable of hurting someone to keep in a residential neighborhood. Same with the dog that it was.

I haven't ever bred or rehomed a dog. Here's a picture of my present dogs, except we put the Chihuahua down last year.
He still had a decent amount of years ahead of him. You easily could of relinquished him to a shelter and he would of gone to another home.
I think it was a bit cruel to put a dog to sleep just because he barked at your child as they were both reaching for the same piece of food.
There were 2 better decisions you could of made:
1: discipline the dog and teach him his place is a BELOW the children.
2: relinquish him at a shelter.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:54 PM   #90 
LionCalie

Granberry - Your dogs are adorable.
LionCalie is offline   Reply With Quote