Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-11-2012, 10:51 PM   #1 
Cynical Fish Guy

Cool New 15 Gallon Tank....

Let me add that for the last 4 months I've been maintaining a 1 gallon tank. My fish Sam (the betta) was quite happy in his 1 gallon tank. The tank after all was an upgrade from a pint hexagon that Sam lived in for 2 months. The hexagon was an upgrade from the cup at the store. Well I got a plant and the plants became plants, and then I was looking at tanks and then next thing I knew I was setting up a 15 gallon tank. Mind you that is a BIG freaking tank for a 3 inch fish.

Being no stranger I bought a bacteria culture 15 pounds of gravel; and transplanted the plants from the one gallon to the 15 gallon. I then dropped a dwarf Lilly bulb in the tank because I now have space for such a plant. I have also added 6 neon tetras because I didn't want Sam to declare the entire tank his. Next week I plan on adding 6 Harlequin Rasboras.... I'm not sure after that.

My question is, how much food do 6 neon tetras need? I'm used to dropping 4-5 pellets for 1 fish. The neon tetras are a blast to watch but I can tell they're hungry. SAM eats flake food, I got a Betta that eats everything! I trained him to do such things, but never intended it this well. However The tetras love his crumbs. Reminds me of Sharks and ramoras, though they, the tetras, attack food like tiny pirranahs. I just want to make sure I feed them adequately. Food usually last a little less than a minute or two.

A betta that eats flake food... go figure. I added a bacteria culture upon set up and used water from a previous tank to give the new tank a boost. It has several plants as well, and more will come in the future.

After Rasboras I'm thinking a couple of pygmy Corys.... Maybe shrimps and snails.... Any ideas?????
Cynical Fish Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 12:49 AM   #2 
Bombalurina

I would only do two full schools + a betta, so choose between the cories and the rasboras for a safe bioload. Personally, I'd go for the cories to have a group at each swimming level. :) As for the tetras, the best way to determine how much to feed is through experimentation. If the tank is becoming too dirty or the fish too fat, cut back. If they look skinny, feed more. I don't really count how many pellets I feed - I have micropellets and just throw in some generic pinches.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 10:38 PM   #3 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

^+1 to that.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 11:09 PM   #4 
inareverie85

Yeah, two schools of 6 fish each means you have 12 fish in there with your betta... After that you could maybe add 2-3 snails, but the bioload is pretty much maxed out unless you want to make lots of water changes regularly and get very high-graded filtration.
inareverie85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 01:07 AM   #5 
Cynical Fish Guy

I have 1 school of 6 neon tetras 1 school of 5 Raspboras 2 Leapord/Gillian Corries 1 Male Betta. THIS IS A PLANTED TANK TOO 15 Gallons!
Old 03-15-2012, 08:20 AM   #6 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

But you need to have more cories than just two.. which would put your bioload over the top..
Old 03-15-2012, 12:44 PM   #7 
Cynical Fish Guy

My two Cory's seem to be doing just fine. And the two guys I got, STAY SMALL It's a 15 gallon planted tank too!
Old 03-15-2012, 12:47 PM   #8 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Cories will feel stressed over time if they do not have a sufficient school for security. They also need pristine water, and appropriate substrate.. or else their barbels will fall off, resulting in disease... 15 gallons is a tiny space to work with in reality..
Betta will start to feel uncomfortable with so many fish around them as well, too many schools and too much activity overwhelms them as they do not enjoy high activity...
Old 03-15-2012, 12:48 PM   #9 
Cynical Fish Guy

The girth of my fish might be a centimeter man. Half inch for the Cory(s). I've done my research too! I wasn't asking about the bio-load. I can figure that out myself. THANKS FOR THE INPUT!!! One inch rule plays a lot on girth of fish as well as length! REMEMBER THAT!!!
Old 03-15-2012, 12:52 PM   #10 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

That is really irrelevant.. it is an outdated way to determine stocking capacity.. ammonia output and activity levels are more accurate ways to determine these things.. the reason a 2 inch goldfish needs 20 gallons of water not 2 gallons.. either way you asked for stocking advice and we tried to help you...

Tags
15 gallon tank, betta, harlequin rasboras, neon tetras