Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-15-2012, 02:06 PM   #21 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Distract the top fish maybe? Or use tweezers to put them down at the bottom, or your hands.. don't know how comfortable you are putting your arm in there. xD
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 02:07 PM   #22 
Cynical Fish Guy

I also hate seeing food float in the water. I'm always afraid of over-feeding. So I'm not totally sure how much food the cats are actually getting. I know they get the occasional betta pellet and or tropical flake; and I mix these up pretty good. The betta gets first dibs on the worms and then it's a free for all.
Cynical Fish Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 02:10 PM   #23 
Cynical Fish Guy

I've got a planted tank. My arm goes in enough!!!! I don't want to hand feed the cats. THEY ARE FISH. I want them to get it, that is, if they want it. I do my best to keep dry when I can. If I wanted to hand feed, I would have bought ADFs. LOL. Thanks. I'll keep the ideas in mind. I was hope'n the cats would swim up, but they don't & the other fish, like others have noted, are not going to let such delicacies reach the bottom of the tank.
Old 03-15-2012, 02:12 PM   #24 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

It's really important that you make sure your cats are getting food.. Cories have been known to starve, expected to feed off of leftovers from other fish..
You can buy sinking catfish food for them, it's in large balls that they feed off of. Once a week you can also give them some cucumber as a treat, your other fish most likely won't try to eat that.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 02:13 PM   #25 
Cynical Fish Guy

Maybe my cats too will learn to swim up and attack the worms. I usually just put a couple of worms in for the betta.... I'll add a few more and see if the others get a chance!!!
Old 03-15-2012, 02:13 PM   #26 
Cynical Fish Guy

Corys are known to starve too. I was afraid of someone saying that.
Old 03-15-2012, 02:15 PM   #27 
Cynical Fish Guy

Thanks, I'll watch to make sure they are eating. I've seen them eat some already. I worry, but not too much. Thank you again
Old 03-15-2012, 02:46 PM   #28 
Mo

They won't swim up unless in a proper group as they won't feel secure, I have my group of 6 and they will be seen in the middle layers of the tank all day long
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 09:54 PM   #29 
Bombalurina

I have to agree with Moderator and Olympia. I'm not sure where you got your information that 2 is a minimum, but I have ALWAYS heard 4. Cories in a group smaller than 4 will be stressed (even if they "look" happy). Stressed fish are more susceptible to sickness. I strongly suggest getting another two.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 07:14 PM   #30 
Cynical Fish Guy

BACK TO BETTAS: I have a very unique problem. My betta has fully adjusted to his new tank and tank mates. However My betta is growing exceptionally fat. You see my Betta is not picky about anything and he now gulps down catfish pellets in one swallow. I might add this is after I feed him Betta food. Did I mention my Betta eats flake food meant for the other tropical fish too???

Any ideas on how to feed my tropical fish without making my Betta grow even fatter???? The average feeding time is 90 seconds. Is this too short? I know the packets say anywhere from 3-5 minutes, but I don't like seeing food float around. I'm just unsure of whether or not I'm feeding the tank enough. Most of my fish are juveniles. The betta is fully grown.

Tags
15 gallon tank, betta, harlequin rasboras, neon tetras