Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-14-2012, 04:15 PM   #1 
SeniorD

Double Tail

So I don't have pictures yet of the parents but I just bread my two double tails. The female is a dark blue with some black on the tips and the male is a bright pastel kind of blue and he also has a pastel type pink/purple. The eggs were placed in the nest yesterday morning so I am hoping to see some fry either tonight or in the morning. Again both parents are double tail. I think the male might have some veil tail in him.

Well anyway, I am curious as to whether or not I should attempt to sell some on aqua bid or in any other way. I'm not asking to sell them in this post F.E.I. I just would like to know what everyone else thinks about the....?desire?... for this type of betta.
SeniorD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 04:28 PM   #2 
betta lover1507

did you say you bred TWO double tails together? if you did you will have major deformities, it always has to be a single-tail to double-tail. since the double-tail is a deformity itself, but people enjoy it any ways.
betta lover1507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 04:49 PM   #3 
MrVampire181

Quote:
Originally Posted by betta lover1507 View Post
did you say you bred TWO double tails together? if you did you will have major deformities, it always has to be a single-tail to double-tail. since the double-tail is a deformity itself, but people enjoy it any ways.
There is a possibility for deformities but not a huge amount in the 1st generation. Every spawn gets deformities. DT isn't a deformity. It just causes slight shortening of the body and needs to be watched. And it has to be an ST/dt to a DT to get DTs in the spawn.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 05:27 PM   #4 
MollyJean

Well since you've already done the breeding, nothing can be changed.

If you're going to sell on AB you should watch the babies very closely as they grow and be ready to cull any that have serious problems. Making a little money off of your bettas isn't bad, but be a good breeder. Sell only healthy and properly formed betta and disclosure is key, make sure you don't hide the fact they're from a DT/DT pairing.
MollyJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 06:08 PM   #5 
SeniorD

Well now that I know not to pair cute couples together anymore! xD jp
I just thought they made a nice couple. I didn't even think double tail was a deformity like that.

Well with that taken care of I do have a question....
Can I introduce a new female to the breeding tank in hopes of breeding the DT male with another female?
Old 03-14-2012, 06:14 PM   #6 
Luimeril

from what i am to understand, there's always the chance for deformities in spawning, even with two totally healthy parents. breeding DT to DT isn't always bad. as long as they're not related, the chances for deformities is less. since they're not siblings, i think it's okay...
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 08:42 PM   #7 
SeniorD

:: UPDATE ::
So I came home tonight and was happy to see these little white dots floating around. Well...So I looked in and told my wife, "No, there's nothing in there yet" and my younger brother told me, "No, look again. xP".

I heard that the fry was supposed to be black so I don't know if that is a sign of there something being wrong. The male occasionally sucks them up and spits them out either right away or up in the bubble nest. Is he also eating some of them? Should I take him out at this point? Personally I think he is being a good father xD also if he feels there isn't enough room then I feel the same way.

Also some of the fry seem to be just falling to them bottom and swimming back to the top. I don't have live food but I have some baby micro pellets and tropical fish flakes. I know that they really do need the live food but can't get my hands on some yet. Well anyway, One: Would what I DO have be enough for them to get by on? Two: The ones I see just falling to the bottom are they going down there to eat the food sitting down there? I also see them swim back up so that's what I'm thinking they're doing, just hoping someone can confirm.
Old 03-15-2012, 09:04 PM   #8 
betta lover1507

wait until the fry start free swimming congrats may we see this pair anyways :P
betta lover1507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 12:34 AM   #9 
SeniorD

Quote:
Originally Posted by betta lover1507 View Post
wait until the fry start free swimming congrats may we see this pair anyways :P

Yeah, I will post pics of the mother and father and eventually the fry.
I have just been lazy, don't feel like busting out the camera and hooking it up. xD I will though, they are a cute pair and hopefully I get some cute babies! ^.^
Old 03-16-2012, 01:28 AM   #10 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

I'd say while they're young you should read up everything on our breeding section. Fry will need a large variety of live foods to get started ^.^
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote