betta fish

Old 03-17-2012, 09:13 AM   #91 
betta lover1507

i'll try
betta lover1507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 09:31 AM   #92 
Laki

o.o

I was not getting "mad" at you.. I guess the 11 year difference in our ages means a severe miscommunication in our opinions..

No, I was merely suggesting that you get used to the idea that it could take time before you can "cuddle" your birds.

Also in response to pages back where you asked how to cut wings, I just wouldn't. Why fix what's not broken? A bird is designed to fly, so if you let them out of the cage during training, make sure it's in a bathroom or something.. Or look to someone who has birds but does not cut wings. My opinion likens wing clipping to declawing cats (but without the painful surgery)

No, I'm not mad. Sometimes I'm merely blunt. You can thank 3 miserable years of university education (and counting). Once you're drowning in student loan debt, have no social life and have to bury your head in boring books all the time in addition to keeping a clean house with happy pets then you kind of turn blunt and moronically vivacious (sometimes in a negative way)..
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 09:34 AM   #93 
lvandert

The lady at my LPS puts her hand in the cage and wont take it out until they sit on it :P Although I would give them a week or two to calm down and get used to the house and then start the hand training. You will get bit unfortunately, but if you wear gloves that'll just scare them more, so its best to just take a few bites. I would look online and find a cockatiel breeder and ask them how they would go about this process. They'd give you the bestest answer they could. It also all depends on how young you get them. The younger you get them the better they'll be with hand training. You got your pretty young so your good there, but they've bonded to eachother therefore you got to compete with that. I would work with both at the same time. In my opinion it'll probably take a few months just to get them to sit on your finger. Separating them (unless they're side by side and even that wont do much) will make them noisier. That's their life long buddy as far as they know. But separating might also be a good idea because the male can be protective of the female at times. My sister had that problem from time to time when she bred them. Treats are good but they dont work the same as they do with dogs. You can give them fresh fruits and veggies as treats too, you just have to remove them once they spoil.

Laki- I've had my bird (cockatiel) for almost 12 years now without another bird. She is as happy as could be! And yes she does cuddle. I can be sitting on the couch and she'll fly over and snuggle right up next to my chin and go to sleep. She also lets me scratch her head and pick her up when ever I want. She loves giving me kisses, she's even giving me some now :P
Attached Images

lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 09:35 AM   #94 
lvandert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laki View Post
o.o
No, I'm not mad. Sometimes I'm merely blunt. You can thank 3 miserable years of university education (and counting). Once you're drowning in student loan debt, have no social life and have to bury your head in boring books all the time in addition to keeping a clean house with happy pets then you kind of turn blunt and moronically vivacious (sometimes in a negative way)..
I hear ya there, I'm on two and counting
Old 03-17-2012, 09:54 AM   #95 
betta lover1507

pretty bird. but when i left my hand in the cage, Nero bit me :I he bit me a lot now. he climbs out the cage a lot to.
the reason that i want to keep them clipped because i don't want them flying out the window :(
i know that it will take time but they really don't like me :P so i use the granola bar and let them it eat off my hand, the female is more nicer a just A TINY bit more content with me. she haven't bit me yet either, but she more noisy ;P gasp, she is finally coming out the cage now!!
Old 03-17-2012, 09:55 AM   #96 
lvandert

be careful, their going to be a bear to catch and put back in the cage. I suggest using a towel and gently catching them. A) they dont trust you and B) they WONT want to go back in lol.
Old 03-17-2012, 10:01 AM   #97 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Funny how the lady said she only worked with the male and the female is nicer. xD
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 10:03 AM   #98 
lvandert

Girls are nicer in general, boy can be sweet but its generally the ladies that are gentle
Old 03-17-2012, 10:05 AM   #99 
betta lover1507

they go back inside the cage there selves actually, right now the female flew on my bed, and the male doesn't know how to fly i think.
Old 03-17-2012, 10:07 AM   #100 
lvandert

LOL teaching them how to fly is great! Once you get them hand trained gently throw the male up in the air and catch him, like you would when playing with a young child. Get him to flap his wings and what not. Over time they just kinda figure it out. I had to do that with Spike. OH also be prepared for crash landings and wall hitting. They dont fly so well at first