Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-12-2012, 10:22 PM   #31 
alleaa

Just keep in mind how long a bird lives. Cockatiels can live up to 20+ years so you have to plan for that. I had already graduated college by the time I got mine and did not have to worry about leaving them for any extended period of time but it affects my life now. I cannot travel for more than a weekend without finding someone I trust to care for them while I'm gone. When I got my first bird the breeder made a good comparison. She said they are like having an intelligent two year old that never grows up and made sure I was ready for that kind of commitment long term.

Last edited by alleaa; 03-12-2012 at 10:32 PM.
alleaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 10:26 PM   #32 
betta lover1507

i do get good grades, i was thinking about buying the bird and stuff with my money :\ but i have a big feeling of a "no" :( i actually wanted a bird when i was 10 before, and never had, i always liked birds a little inside. but i just didn't knew where to start about it. i was always nervous of what will my parents say.
wait, i have to live in a dorm!? i hate those things!
betta lover1507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 10:30 PM   #33 
lvandert

Hey you can still try no matter how nervous. The worst they will tell you is no and that leaves you no different from where you are now. They wont take anything away for asking. You're already expecting the worst (procrastination, lol, I do it too) so if they tell you "no" your kinda ready for it. I felt the same way when I asked my dad "Will you kill me if I got a tattoo?" :) and I'm going to get a second tattoo soon
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 10:32 PM   #34 
betta lover1507

oh. okay.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:35 PM   #35 
lvandert

It takes some guts to ask something that big, and you obviously know its big because of how nervous you are, but I has faith. I really hope you've seen "Happy Gilmore" or "Animal" otherwise this quote will make no sense; "You can do it!"
Old 03-12-2012, 10:36 PM   #36 
GwenInNM

Quote:
Originally Posted by betta lover1507 View Post
i don't have friends....
but i don't know. am only 13, i have issues if rushed like this. i really just wanted a bird but i wasn't sure, now since you've said that am panicking!! like omg what will i do?? i feel twisted up inside :( college is a distance from me right now. am barely finishing 8th grade D:
should i tell my parents now?

I have a great daughter, who is 13 You know your parents better than we do. My daughter has a leopard gecko, and I would care for it if she couldn't, for whatever reason. That's me though. I'm one of those people who makes a commitment to animals. Many people don't. Once they don't fit into their lives, they get rid of them. We also have older ferrets, which my daughter loves, but she already understands that we won't replace them when they die. She is on to other things and interests, and they do require so much care. I'm becoming more interested in fishkeeping :)

Gwen
GwenInNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 04:23 PM   #37 
betta lover1507

well my dad has a 75 gallon reef tank, my mom... she doesn't really have a pet besides the family pets (salt water fish, cat, and dog) and i told my dad about it, he told me to tell your mom. my mom is hard to get to agree with, she likes it her opinion most of the time. so my dad wasn't really any help at all -.-
so now i have to tell my mom is gonna be hard :(
Old 03-13-2012, 04:29 PM   #38 
lvandert

Well at least your one step closer :) sounds like dad didn't say no
Old 03-13-2012, 04:45 PM   #39 
betta lover1507

well i told him i'll buy one with my own money. he still dosen't even have a birthday gift either -_-
Old 03-13-2012, 05:59 PM   #40 
lvandert

I'm sure he does, or atleast has a plan for one. But once again you didn't get a no. Sorry to brag but I'm breeding for my fisrt time and their spawning right now :D