Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-12-2012, 08:13 AM   #1 
Flexxoo

Success it has begun :D

my question would be is it true u can leave the male in the tank with the fries after they can freely swim ...i know you can take him out when they can venture out on their own but ive read that you can leave him in there for a few days after that or even a week he will just pick off a few sick ones... now is this true ?

also im waiting for my local pet store to have live brine shrimp instock in a few hours from now but would frozen brine shrimp work as a substitute for the fries when they are ready to eat work out ? ive always used live foods for fries but if im not able to get it when i go to check on the stock at the pet store would the frozen ones work instead :/

Last edited by Flexxoo; 03-12-2012 at 08:21 AM.
Flexxoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 09:04 AM   #2 
Flexxoo

Anyone O_o ? frozen or live ?
Old 03-12-2012, 09:13 AM   #3 
bettalover2033

Well I must say that it seems like you have attempted to do some research. To answer your question. Yes. You are able to leave the father with the fry and even for more than a week. Usually until the fry are 3.5-4 months old. At least it has been reported until then.

I am currently testing this method and read up about it here:
http://bettysplendens.com/articles/p...?articleid=809

Please read that and then read this one:
http://bettysplendens.com/articles/p...?articleid=839

Those are very good and are very helpful. Personally is would suggest if someone is going to try this method to have some practice spawns under their belt. Try the traditional method a few generations and then go ahead and try this. Over all make sure you research a lot more. Im glad you came here with some kind of knowledge about breeding bettas and have the willingness to do your research.

To answer your other question. No. Frozen brine shrimp or any other frozen foods cannot be used as a substitute for live foods when fry are still young.

I usually start using frozen and dry foods when my fry are 2-2.5 months old. They are usually .75-1 inch when I start feeding them this.

Live is most important in the fry's health and growth. I have heard of people using dry commercial bought fry food, but the reviews say that it never ends to the fry's full potential.

I hope you continue to research as well. There is much more to breeding than you may think.

You need jars to separate the males, grow out tanks/tubs, homes for the fry unless you plan to sell online, be prepared for everyday 40-60% water changes daily, ect.

Last edited by bettalover2033; 03-12-2012 at 09:17 AM.
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 09:52 AM   #4 
Flexxoo

thank you so much because i think i will leave him a bit with them
Old 03-12-2012, 10:04 AM   #5 
MrVampire181

For first timers I say you should remove him within the first week. But if he's not doing any real damage they'll be fine. I have raised a spawn on Atison Betta Starter but I recommend using live baby brine shrimp, micro worms, vinegar eels, and whatever critter come on live plants. Lots of.good live food fornrhe first two months and then switching to frozen blood worms and then some sort of small pellet food (I use Atison).
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 10:29 AM   #6 
tpocicat

I use Atison betta starter too, but I mix it with decaps, and micro worms. Not all at once of course.
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 11:29 AM   #7 
Flexxoo

so basically you cannot use atison betta starter alone hmmmm i see
Old 03-12-2012, 12:34 PM   #8 
Flexxoo

also the bubbles in his nest is kinda spreading apart now never happen before with my previous batch so this is weird
Old 03-12-2012, 06:22 PM   #9 
styggian

My boy is still with his spawn. He's showing no aggression toward them, but occasionally flares or nips at the snail. He'll move fry around or fan his pectoral fins near them. I don't see any loss of fry, and in fact I can see more now than before as they grow bigger. They will be a week hatched this Wednesday, and I'm keeping Shad with them.
styggian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 09:36 PM   #10 
indjo
TFK Moderator

@Styggyian: Fanning pectoral by male most probably means he is calling them to feed them. Watch closely and you will actually see him feeding fry..... he will disperse debris once fry has gathered.

If a male diligently cares for eggs and fry, you can leave him with fry. You can even keep him with fry until they're grown and this should reduce aggression amongst fry.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote