Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-12-2012, 01:41 PM   #1 
garcon

help..lost 2 betas in a week!! water is fine

Hi,

I have now lost 2 bettas in a week. I keep getting my water tested and it comes back perfect. I have 2.5 gallon tank (too big for a betta maybe?) just
have had no luck with these fish. My daugher was really upset we had to take her "sick" fish back to the pet store. I don't want one to die on her (she's 5) but not sure what I am doing wrong.. tank has been moved away from window to avoid any temp differences.. water is about 71 degrees.
Any thoughts as to what the problem is ? thanks
garcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 03:01 PM   #2 
ParadisMutts

Does your tank have a heater? Their water should be at least 78. Also these were two seperate Bettas right? One after the other? Did you clean the tank between Bettas, it is possiblely a sickness. How were they acting before they died? What did they look like?
ParadisMutts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 07:26 PM   #3 
Bombalurina

Paradis is correct. 71F is far too cold. Bettas are actually some of the highest-end tropical fish out there (only fish like discus and some cichlids need higher temperatures). The safe range for a betta is 76-85, with 78-82 being the ideal range.

A 2.5 gallon is a great size - there is no such thing as too big. I have one in a 5 gallon and a bunch of females in a 16 gallon. Make sure that you do two water changes per week - one 50% change and one 100% change, both with water conditioner. I recommend Prime.

Good luck with future fish! :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 09:36 PM   #4 
garcon

thanks

I'll get a heater and get the temp up to where it belongs. Of course the kid at petsmart told me the bettas would be fine at lower temps!! what is "prime" btw? thanks.
Old 03-13-2012, 12:12 AM   #5 
Bombalurina

Ah, petshops. We've all been there and have horror stories to tell.
Prime is a really great dechlorinator by a company called Seachem. It removes chlorine, chloramine, ammonia and heavy metals and detoxifies nitrites and nitrates, all of which can be harmful. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 12:18 AM   #6 
garcon

thank you. I have some type of betta specific dechlorinator but will look for it.