Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-12-2012, 01:15 PM   #1 
khatlady

What's the BEST fin rot treatment

Hello, Looking for opinions on the best treatment for fin rot in a betta. I would prefer one that you did not have to remove the carbon from the filter. Any suggestions? I have already tried salt and it did not help. Thanks!!
khatlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 05:19 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Often the best treatment is fresh dechlorinated water from water changes and good nutrition, however, it is also important to find to cause.....

Can you post a pic, do the fin edges look irregular, crusty and discolored

What size tank, type of filter, live plants, type of substrate and decoration, water temp, additives used, appetite, type/amount food/feeding, any tank mates, how long have you had him, any other health issues and types of treatments tried, how much and how long on the salt treatment...
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 05:29 PM   #3 
Luimeril

clean water kicks it's butt fast, normally. really aggressive fin rot, that doesn't go away with clean water, and maybe a little salt, is the only time i'd medicate.

OFL is right, though. it's best to find the cause. it's more often that not, just not enough water changes, or a combination of a rip/bite in the fin and not enough water changes.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 05:47 PM   #4 
khatlady

I have him in a 1.5 gallon filtered and heated tank. I change the water twice weekly.... Once I do 3/4 of the water and clean the gravel then I change 1/2 the water again that week a few days later. I also apply dechlorinator at every water change. Water temp is 79 or 80. I've had him for 3 months now. He eats a combo of pellets, crispy flakes and freeze dried blood worms. I did a few weeks of the salt treatment about a month ago but I noticed today the fins look way worse. I can try to post some pics tomorrow if that helps....
Old 03-13-2012, 10:00 AM   #5 
Oldfishlady

Pics would really help.....how much and how long on the salt treatment and did you use a tannin source too....

Sometimes in small tanks...the filter is the cause of fin damage....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 10:30 AM   #6 
khatlady

I could not figure how to add pictures into this response spot. I did make a photo album under my name with three pictures. He does have a large split in his large back fin. If someone wouldn't mind checking out the pictures I would appreciate it. Thanks...! Try this link maybe? http://www.bettafish.com/album.php?albumid=3503
Old 03-13-2012, 11:40 AM   #7 
lvandert

I'd wait for OFL's reply but IMO that just looks like a tear in his fin. I didn't see any discoloration on the fins themselves, but maybe the pictures don't show it as well?
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 12:12 PM   #8 
khatlady

I had a lot of trouble getting a good picture to post. He keeps swimming around fast! Is there a trick to get a good betta picture? Lol
Old 03-13-2012, 12:27 PM   #9 
lvandert

hmm I'm not sure. My gals and guys are good to me I guess, they always pose for me :P
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 12:36 PM   #10 
Luimeril

that's not fin rot, it's just a tear in his fin. it should heal on it's own and not get infected as long as his water stays clean. :3 what kind of plants are in there? plastic can rip their fins up somethin' nasty. my black veiltail, Scout, got a rip in his tail, but his didn't heal just right. :I he's got a little Y-shape in his fin now, with one half curling up, the other down. xD it's kinda cute. x:
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote