Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-13-2012, 01:55 PM   #11 
lvandert

Yup I agree with Luimeril; keep the water clean and just keep doing what your doing :)
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 02:31 PM   #12 
Luimeril

i think BettaSpa has IAL extract, so that'll help the fin heal up some, if you can't order any Indian Almond Leaf. but, even without it, the rip should heal up just fine. my Cup once ripped his fins to ribbons on a plastic plant, and they healed up just fine afterwards. :B
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 03:34 PM   #13 
khatlady

So you think it's a tear? I did have two plastic plants in there. I know one of them was sharp so I removed it. I have one plastic plant left in the tank. It is in the picture partially. It feels soft as far as I can tell. Not sure how he would keep tearing his fins. You really think it will heal on its own? This is the second "possible" tear in a few months!!
khatlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 03:37 PM   #14 
Luimeril

if it's the second one, i'd just replace all the plastic with silk. walmart usually sells a three-pack for around five bucks. only one i'd look out for is one with some red on the underside. :I the dye leaked into my tank, and i think that's what killed The Doctor. if you get it, let it soak for a long, long while before putting it in your tank.

it'll heal on it's own. :3 Cup's ribbon-fins healed up fine after a while. it'll take a bit, but it should. :V
Old 03-13-2012, 03:47 PM   #15 
Oldfishlady

I agree...it doesn't look like fin rot from the pics and often the best treatment is prevention.....maintain water quality, water temp, limit stress and good nutrition......

Sometimes in the small tanks the water movement can be the cause of fin damage with the long delicate heavy fin males-when you rule out decorations, biting and substrate as the cause......you may need to remove the filter-add some live plants and keep up with the water changes...

Lovely fella by the way...nice find.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 04:31 PM   #16 
Luimeril

i do gotta agree.... i have that same tank, and don't use the filter. not because of that reason(i've never had it happen to any of mine), but because in a tank that small, filters aren't needed. two-to-three water changes a week are just fine. i get away with one-to-two in my tanks, but every fish is different. in my DTHM, i gotta do more frequent water changes, because he's regrowing fins, though.
Old 03-13-2012, 07:25 PM   #17 
khatlady

Could someone recommend a good brand of SILK plant? I prefer not to get live and it looks like maybe it was the plastic plants that ripped my guys fins twice...... (I can not find the walmart silk ones online like Lui recommended).
khatlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 09:15 PM   #18 
Luimeril

brand? o-o i always just get whatever's there. uumm.... if your petco or petsmart has them, just any kind of silk plant. Lulu loves the straight ones.... Ichi loves the longer ones that hang... i didn't know there were brands, honestly. lol