Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-21-2012, 12:53 AM   #1 
BlueButterfly

Help

Housing
What size is your tank? 20L
What temperature is your tank? Heater set at 26C, does fluctuate. Current temp 28C
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
Small pinch of "Nutrafin Max Betta Flakes" 2 times per day, and occasional feeding of Aquarian Betta pellets in place of normal food, as a treat (he loves them, but it doesn't help his colouring like the other one).

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? One a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 25-50% depending on water quality
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Stress Coat, Stress Zyme, Algae Control

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: NA
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate:20ppm
pH: 7.5
Hardness: 120ppm
Alkalinity: NA

All within parameters according to the leaflet with my test kit

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Top fin has small hole in it, and tail looks like it shreading. Not got any red or black around it though
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? None.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Tail - minor shreading apparence a little while ago, but seem to improve. Now a lot worse, noticed today when I really looked at him for the first time all week. Hole - today.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Yes. Added extra stress coat
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately)? I reckon about a year old. He was only young when I got him, maybe a 6m.o., had him for 6 months.
BlueButterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 08:44 AM   #2 
Myates

Are you having trouble with algae? If not, then you don't need to add in a 3rd chemical to the tank.. you should only need one, and that is water conditioner- such as the Stress Coat.
If you are having trouble with algae then I would look into why- how long do you keep the lights on in the tank, do you have live plants, etc.

As for his fins- do they look like chunks are missing?
Are there any pointy plants in the tank?
Is the filter too strong?

Without a picture it's hard to say what is going on- as there are different looks to fins when it comes to different types of damage.

For now, continue feeding him what you are feeding since it's a good quality food and high in protein which will help with the repair/regrowth of fins.
If there are no live plants I would keep the water change at 50% per week with vacuuming of the gravel each time to keep the water clean to avoid rot from forming on the damaged fins.

Otherwise, there isn't much else you can do in helps of growing them out- just have to see what is causing it to prevent it, whether it be self inflicted (biting), too strong of a filter that needs baffling, or sharp plastic plants/decorations.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote