Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? No, the room stays at steady 80 degrees, tank at 78
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? 5 glowlight tetras, 1 snail

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Omega one pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2x a day, 2 pellets per serving

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? 25% weekly, 50% every 2 weeks
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?^its up there
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Prime Water Conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:0
Nitrite:0
Nitrate:0
pH: 7.5
Hardness: N/A
Alkalinity: N/A

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Select scales are grayer than usual. White patches on eyes.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Not at all.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? 2 days ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Yes, two days ago I immediately put her in a 1G hospital, 100% wc daily. Can't get access to salts for a few days.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No.
How old is your fish (approximately)?Maybe a little under A year, I'd say

i moved Lulu into the ten gallon community tank 3 weeks ago. She's been so much happier with the room, and been acting normally. Saturday morning I got up and fed her, didn't notice anything different. When I got home from a Bat Mitzvah Saturday night I noticed these white patches on her eyes. She swam to the side, and I saw grayed scales. She was eating fine and seeing fine, and still as feisty. I looked on this forum, some people said it was lymphocystis I just need some help. Thanks.

Sorry the first pic is blurry, but you get the general idea of how the white covers up half of her eye. She seems to see fine, she follows my finger
around the glass.
Attached Images
Attached Images

BetterBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 05:13 PM   #2 
BetterBetta

EDIT: I haven't had a sick betta before or anything physically wrong with one before, so I need some pointers! Also, would the conservative route work or do I need to use medication..?
Old 03-12-2012, 08:27 PM   #3 
Sakura8

Hi BetterBetta. What a cutie Lulu is. It doesn't look like lymphocystis at all. With that, you would see big cauliflower-like growths. Lulu looks like she has cloudy eye. The usual cause of cloudy eye is poor water conditions but in your case, since your water is fine, it's probably due to a bacterial infection or, less probably eye flukes. Go ahead and put Lulu in 1 tsp AQ salts per gallon when you can get access to them. Keep her in that for up to 14 days. If her eye hasn't improved by then or she starts showing other or worse symptoms, definitely let us know so we can consider an alternative medical treatment. If you can get API Stress Coat, that would help too.

Good luck with her!
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 11:01 AM   #4 
BetterBetta

Update on Lulu today. One of her eyes has started to clear up and the spot is just barely there, so thats good. But now I have another problem: The gray parts of her scales seem to be spreading :O She's still acting perfectly normal; if not, flaring more often. Is that bad?

Also, I think I see a white spot near the end of her Tail fin. Between where her fin starts and her body ends, if that makes sense. But it's the weirdest thing; I can't see it when I look at her from the side, only from certain angles above. It's definitely raised though. Unfortunately I could not get it on camera during the WC today. Anyways, here are the gray spots:
Sorry the pics are huge!
Attached Images

Old 03-18-2012, 09:18 PM   #5 
Sakura8

Hi BetterBetta. I'm really happy to hear Lulu's eye is getting better. Is she still in the AQ salt? You can keep her in that for up to 14 days from when you started to make sure her eye clears up totally.

For her gray scales, it almost looks like a bit of slime coat or perhaps even some saprolegnia. The AQ salt should also help with both of those problems but just in case there's a possiblity the gray is the beginnings of columnaris, see if you can lower the temperature in her tank to around 76 for a few days. This should inhibit the growth of the bacteria if it is columnaris. However, since her behavior is still pretty good, it seems like it's just some excess slime coat being produced.

If her behavior changes at all or the raised spot on her tail gets bigger or changes, definitely let me know.
Old 03-20-2012, 10:48 AM   #6 
BetterBetta

Water Change today, took her out to observe her. Sakura I'd just like to say thank you very much for helping me with this.
Yes she is still in the AQ salt, she has 6 days left until that makes 14 days. The gray parts do seem like slime coat, for whenever she swims it moves like slime and sometimes falls off (phew).

As for the spot on her tail, I don't know if that's slime or not. There's a little crater in the middle of it, and it almost looks like she took a bite out of it. I really do suspect that it is slime, though, because I can only see it from above and not from the sides, and that's why all of the pics are like that. Here are some pics that I somehow got during the WC. (the last one is prob. the best.)
Attached Images

Old 03-21-2012, 12:10 PM   #7 
Sakura8

Okay, the little spot on her tail looks almost like a missing scale. If perhaps the cloudy eye was caused by some sort of external parasite such as flukes, it might make sense that she rubbed off a scale or two scratching an itch.

AQ salt encourages the production of slime coat so it's not unusual for there to be an excess of it during salt treatment. All in all, salt is definitely the way to go here because it will help fight off all of the possible causes of her cloudy eye and gray fuzz. It fights bacteria, saprolegnia fungus, and external parasites.

You're welcome. I'm very happy I can help you. :)