Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-12-2012, 03:52 PM   #1 
EmilyN

Starting a NPT

I recently purchased a new tank because one of mine cracked (my dad tried to pick up the full 5.5g and it cracked) I bought a larger tank and combined the two i had into one. it is working out very nicely.

Now I have an empty 10g and I'm itching to fill it. I'd like to try a NPT and have been researching them for a while now.

I have some potting soil that I planed to use and I want to use gravel over top instead of sand. I read that it's better for waste decomposition.

Plant wise, I want to order from plantedaquariumscentral.com because the selection in my area is... not ideal. I was thinking about getting the following:

1 Eleocharis parvula, Dwarf Hair grass, foreground plant
2 FLAME MOSS, Taxiphyllum sp.
1 HEMIANTHUS MICRANTHEMOIDES, Baby Tears, Pearl grass, 15 stems
1 Wisteria, HYGROPHILA DIFFORMIS , spectacular plant

As well as some Sword plants and a Java fern

My questions are:

Is this enough to start for a 10g?
What lighting should I use?
Are there any plants that I should add or remove from my list?

Also I have a piece of grapevine that I would like to use. I bought it at the pet store in the reptile section. Would it be okay (for a betta) if I boil it and dry it out a few times?

Thanks in advance for your help!
EmilyN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 04:46 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Read over this thread....http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=84915 this may help give you an idea on plants, lights...etc....also, in my album are more pic and information on smaller soil based NPT's......

When you start a soil based system....starting with enough of the right species of plants is really important...you need to add more stem plants and a floating plant to your list...

The baby tears-a really nice plant may not do as well with the lighting normally used for the low tech NPT's especially without injected CO2-they may grow more upright-still looks neat...but usually won't make the carpet like you see in the high tech systems with high lights and injected CO2

I wouldn't recommend grapevine for aquarium use....often they continue to leach sap for years and can really be a mess.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 08:12 PM   #3 
EmilyN

Thanks OFL

I forgot that I needed a floating plant. I'll look into those now. How many more stem plants do you think I need?

Also what kind of wood should I get instead of the grapevine?
Old 03-12-2012, 08:35 PM   #4 
EmilyN

I think I'm going to go with duckweed for my floating plant. I know I can get that at pet stores near by.
Old 03-13-2012, 10:22 AM   #5 
Oldfishlady

For wood...I collect my own hardwoods in my forest and from my wood pile I use in my fire place.....I look for interesting pieces that are pretty dry-the drier/cured the better and de-barked....soak in water for weeks to months-scrub on occasion-using a spoon to dig out any rotten/soft areas....sometimes I have to weight them down once in the aquarium until they are fully water logged....
Old 03-13-2012, 01:46 PM   #6 
EmilyN

Are there any particular types that are better?

Thanks so much for your time and advice!
Old 03-13-2012, 02:33 PM   #7 
Oldfishlady

I stay away from green wood, pine, cedar, vines and black walnut...mainly I use hickory and oak but that is because that is what I have a lot of...hardwood works the best and I admit some of the wood I have used in my tanks I have no idea what they are.... I have never had any issues-since I use soil I don't worry about the shedding from the wood-something will either eat it or it will decomp and become part of the soil and help naturally create CO2 for the plants...thats one of the beauties of the NPT's....the mulm/debris can be a good thing to a degree, however, it still has to be monitored since this is a closed system.

Once the soil based heavy planted tank is mature, plants thriving and the soil is alive with life....it can pretty much take care of itself......as close to a natural ecosystem that can be created in a glass box/closed system.....lol.....you just have to have patience and tolerant of little mess on the bottom-but the water should stay crystal clear except for a little natural tannins that are created-but in my tank you can't tell unless you dip the water out to view in a clear glass container....

All the critters in the tank have a job of sorts-common snails help with dead plant matter, excessive food-then the trumpet snail help aerate the soil preventing anaerobic areas along with the roots of plants, shrimp are the shredders to help speed the decomp process-everything organic in the tank-fish, shrimp, snails, plants, microorganism and added fish food- all provide ferts for the plants along with CO2 that both life and decomp naturally create for the plants to thrive in order to function as the filtration to help support life......

I will never go back to the standard systems......
Old 03-13-2012, 04:09 PM   #8 
EmilyN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
I will never go back to the standard systems......
I can see why. I'm really excited about getting my tank set up. :)

I realized yesterday that the potting soil that I chose isn't what I should have (it had added fertilizers which I honestly didn't even think about when I bought the soil) and I have to get new soil tomorrow.

I have the gravel that I want to use and I'm getting a few of my plants this evening.

I found a beautiful Bacopa Carolina plant at my LFS yesterday (as well as another stem plant but I forgot what it was called) and I'm going back to get them.
Old 03-15-2012, 04:20 PM   #9 
EmilyN

Is is okay if I add plants over the course of a couple days or should it be all at once?
Old 03-15-2012, 04:48 PM   #10 
Oldfishlady

It is really better to add/plant all the plants from day one, especially if you plan to add livestock the same day.....