Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-12-2012, 04:39 PM   #1 
Jlbfish

Change filter or baffle it?

I have an Aqua Clear 20 on my 3.5 gallon tank for my betta. All water tests say ammonia is 0 nitrites are 0 nitrates are not that high.

He gets pushed around by his filter current so I am going to either get another one or baffle this one. Willl I mess up any tank chemistry if I just put a new one on?
Jlbfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 04:55 PM   #2 
FishyFishy89

id baffle it
why waste the money to change it out for something that may not work as well or be just as strong?
I used this method
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=30139
Others have attached a CLEAN sponge via a rubber band on the out flow area.
FishyFishy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 01:04 PM   #3 
Jlbfish

LOL ok I did that and it works great so far. Picky scared me after we first put it in he was very interested in it and tried to swim through it 2x. He got knocked around by the water and turned around to swim back out. BUT he wasn't satisfied until he swam all the way through it. Scared the tar out of me but hasn't done it since I am still a little concerned my fish is crazy. at least his log is in there and he is making a TON of bubbles. LOL

Thanks for the help!
Jlbfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 01:14 PM   #4 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlbfish View Post
LOL ok I did that and it works great so far. Picky scared me after we first put it in he was very interested in it and tried to swim through it 2x. He got knocked around by the water and turned around to swim back out. BUT he wasn't satisfied until he swam all the way through it. Scared the tar out of me but hasn't done it since I am still a little concerned my fish is crazy. at least his log is in there and he is making a TON of bubbles. LOL

Thanks for the help!
no problem :)
are you able to make sure the bottle is out of the water more?
Spike like his baffle too and occasionally builds a small nest beside it.
FishyFishy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 06:00 PM   #5 
Arctic Mama

I baffled my penguin filter but I did it a little differently.

Sponges, even aquarium ones, freak me out a bit since I know many of them are treated wish various chemicals and anti microbial solvents, etc etc. I didn't want to risk poisoning my tank with one, so I used old filter floss from the cartridge previously in the filter and cut it to size, then put a rubber band over the outflow and rolled the flap of floss around the rubber band. It created a great baffle that won't slip, used a piece of media that was already aquarium safe AND had beneficial bacteria in it, while cutting down on almost all the current.

Filter floss is very permeable, but it is enough interference to really slow down the sheet of water being spewed out by my bio wheel :)
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote