Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-10-2012, 03:16 PM   #1 
Aluyasha

Question Plant Care in a 1 Gallon?

I have my Bettas in 1 gallon tanks with no filters (not to worry I am vigilant). Anhow I decided to try my hand at live plants for the first time. Hong Ki and Man o' War have fake plants but yesterday I bought for Onion's tank a small anubias. My tank has a normal light and I have not added any plant food.
Is there anything extra I need to do to take care of it?

Also, the petstore had two plants called Hornwort and Crypts I think. What is their care? I would like to give my other two bettas each different plants. :)
Aluyasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 03:18 PM   #2 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

I'd get a java fern also, it grows slowly. You can probably find a different variety of anubias as well..
My anubias is in a 2.5 gallon, with a small LED light and natural light only. It is growing pretty fast (it is naturally slow growing) and has a ton of roots. Just clip and leaves that get old looking, which should rarely happen. Also don't bury it's roots. My anubias is very hardy and survives being practically dried up and washed every week during water changes, I've had it for around 6 months.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 03:28 PM   #3 
fishy friend2

the plants you've selected are very easy to care for plants, they have minimal requirements and actually will help with water quality, I only have a couple of comments
Crypts are rooted plants and usually only grow very well with root tabs or another supplement in the substrate to make it of better quality. though they can grow in substrate with no supplements they should ideally have a rich substrate
Make sure that you dont have the Anubias rooted into the ground, they are considered "non substrate rooted" plants which means they dont have to be placed in the substrate, if they are, they will encounter rot, and in such a small tank toxins will build up faster and its easier for ammonia and particular diseases to have a negative affect on your fish when organic matter is decomposing in the tank, also, with anubias you should really watch out for algae growth as this plant grows very slow which leaves is succeptable to many algae types
Just one more note, dont worry if your hornwort starts to loose a vast amount of those spiny needles in its first week in your tank, this is completely normal, if it does progress, then you should remove it and identify why it died so you can stop the problem from occuring again
fishy friend2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 03:41 PM   #4 
Aluyasha

Good thing I asked. I had orignally put the anubias roots under the gravel, I just pulled it out. lol
Should I just let the anubias float around?
Old 03-10-2012, 03:44 PM   #5 
fishy friend2

it can be tied to a rock with fishing line or let to float, but either way it will still grow well, as long as its not buried in the substrate, as it will rot leading to an ammonia spike, that could kill your betta, and if that doesnt, then a secondary infection will
Old 03-10-2012, 04:00 PM   #6 
Aluyasha

I know a rotting plant can cause problems, I will keep a close eye on it. :)
I figure I will rub algea off of it lightly everytime I clean the tank. I think I might just let it float.

So I do not need plant food for the anubias?

Last edited by Aluyasha; 03-10-2012 at 04:03 PM.
Old 03-10-2012, 04:03 PM   #7 
fishy friend2

Okay, good luck with your plants! I hope I helped! you wont need plant foods for the Anubias, they are very low requirement plants and in a 1 gallon with a betta, there should be plenty or nutrients for the plant to survive and thrive on

Last edited by fishy friend2; 03-10-2012 at 04:05 PM.
Old 03-10-2012, 04:47 PM   #8 
Aluyasha

Thanks. :)
Can I also throw in some java moss in there with the anubias?
Old 03-10-2012, 05:25 PM   #9 
fishy friend2

Yes, I already was about to recommend java moss, it is another easy, low requirement plant
Old 03-10-2012, 05:31 PM   #10 
Aluyasha

Where is a good place to buy java moss online? I cannot find it locally.