Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-12-2012, 09:02 PM   #1 
Amphibianite

Fins rotting before my eyes.

So one of my boys a blue green with white butterfly SD, has over the course of a day become seriously ill.
His fins are literally turning black and rotting away before my eyes.
it doesn't look like this horrifying mystery disease to me, at least not yet. It is starting at the ends of his fins, and not the body like that disease does.
It is effecting his dorsal, anal, and caudal fins. I will get a picture ASAP for you.
I am have cupped him in clean water and am beginning an AQ and Mericyne Plus treatment ASAP.
I will be stopping into petsmart to pick up more Mericyne 2 and Furen 2 tomorrow as soon as I am able. (sorry for misspelling on medication names if there is any.)

Housing
What size is your tank? 2 gal
What temperature is your tank? roughly 80
Does your tank have a filter? no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?no
Is your tank heated? ambient heated
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? aqueon betta pellets, frozen blood worms, live black worms
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2 times daily. Either 3-4 pellets or roughly 3 worms. At least skipping 1 meal a week for digestion.

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? 1 50% 1 100% weekly sometimes just 1 100%
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50-100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? stess coat (no need for dechlorinator on private well water

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Sudden and rapid onset of fin rot
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? not interested in food, lays on bottom of tank
When did you start noticing the symptoms? The laying about yesterday afternoon but he has been flaring a lot seem just a bit tired. Ate that morning fine. This morning not interested in food, this afternoon sudden and rapid onset of finrot
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? 100% tank cleaning, AQ salt 2tsp per gallon, few drops ob mericyne Plus
Does your fish have any history of being ill? no
How old is your fish (approximately)? 6-7 months max

Pictures Before and current are incoming ASAP
Amphibianite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 09:06 PM   #2 
Sakura8

The mystery disease does start at the ends of the fins and advances rapidly to the body. Quarantine him in water that is room temp. 3 tsps of AQ salt per gallon. If you can find Kanaplex fast, use that. If not, use API Furan-2 and the salt. Is he blue or teal?
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 09:18 PM   #3 
Amphibianite

I found some Mericyne 2 and put it in there as well, and some IAL
He is QTed in a cup in the same area so he should stay room temp up to 80 if the heater does it job like it does for my other smaller QTs

Sakura this is what he looked like before a current image is coming.

Old 03-12-2012, 09:30 PM   #4 
Sakura8

Sorry Amph, with that color, it's possible it could be our mystery disease. :( I certainly hope not. It could also be a fast-moving aggressive fin rot or columnaris. The Maracyn II will help as long as your pH isn't really high, like 7.5 or something. IAL and AQ salt also good for fighting bacteria. What a handsome boy, I really hope he makes it. Is he The Duke?
Old 03-12-2012, 09:41 PM   #5 
Amphibianite

Nope he isnt the Duke, he doesnt have a name yet actually. At this point he sadly may not get one.
Here is some pictures of his current sad state.
Attached Images

Old 03-12-2012, 09:47 PM   #6 
Sakura8

Huh. No, that doesn't look like the mystery disease. It DOES look like fin rot though. Poor guy. Well, Amph, you've got all the things in the water that you need to give him a fighting chance. You've done all you can and it's up to his will to survive. :/ I hope he pulls through for you. Good luck.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:51 PM   #7 
Amphibianite

Thanks Sakura, you have no idea how releaved I am to here there is a good chance it isnt the mystery disease.

The only thing I can think that may have caused this was he did blow out his fins last week from a week long flare fit. It may be possible instead of healing like it looked like instead when into fin rot. -__-, so here is hoping it is just his fins decided to rot instead of heal. (btw I just remember that happened I had forgotten because it looked like it was healing)
Also he has been fed well on live foods. I was getting him conditioned for breeding. So he should have been well fed up and strong.

I will keep you all updated.
Thanks again.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:55 PM   #8 
Sakura8

Yeah, I'm fairly sure it's not the mystery disease because the discoloration is black, not graphite gray. Sometimes it can be hard to tell when the fin is healing right so I totally understand. If he'll eat, continue feeding him live foods. The protein'll do him good.
Old 03-13-2012, 03:41 AM   #9 
Amphibianite

He died sometime this evening.
Old 03-13-2012, 04:31 AM   #10 
sparkyjoe

I'm so sorry for your loss.
sparkyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote