Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-12-2012, 10:55 PM   #1 
Bettabuddy4

Question Tank Question

I'm thinking of getting the Fluval Edge Aquarium Kit in White with two small plants and one decoration. I was also thinking of getting Petco Rock Mix Gravel Accents in Malibu for gravel, but I'm not sure. Should I just leave the tank bottom bare? The Malibu accents won't cover very much, and I'm looking for some white rocks so taht I don;pt have to replace the rocks everytime I do a water change, does anyone know a good place to get some lighter colored rocks?
Bettabuddy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 11:01 PM   #2 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

You can buy rocks cheap at dollar, craft stores or wal mart.. Why would you have to replace rocks after every water change? :s
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 12:42 AM   #3 
Bombalurina

Good question, why are you planning to replace them?

I'd also suggest getting some more plants than those you are planning on. Bettas come from densely vegitated spaces in the wild and will appreciate more cover than just a few plants in a 6 gallon will provide.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 06:03 PM   #4 
Bettabuddy4

Sorry, I should have been more clear, I was talking about sand, but don't you have to replace sand every water change?
@Olympia thanks, I will do that
@Bombalurina I will try, but I'm not sure what plants to get, all the ones I've read about seem to be sharp and/or have plastic and/or metal in theme.
Old 03-16-2012, 06:19 PM   #5 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

No you just have to wash sand really well the first time round and it should be good.. May cloud water for a few hours though.
Old 03-16-2012, 07:34 PM   #6 
Bombalurina

Yep - no substrate needs to be replaced with every water change. Sand does need to be stirred once a week or so to prevent gas pockets forming, though.

For some really good silk plants, have a look at Acumen Aquatics on facebook. Those are designed with bettas in mind and I can vouch for their quality. :) Why not consider some basic live plants too, such as java fern, java moss, marimo moss balls or anubias?
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 12:07 AM   #7 
Bettabuddy4

@Olympia okay, but does the sand ever need to be replaced? And how do you do a water change aroung it?
@Bombalurina thanks! I'll check out the plants, but with the live plants, what is the care? Are they easy to take care of because, I'm in school and don't have much time to do say 3 hours of plant care a day.
Old 03-22-2012, 11:51 AM   #8 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

No plant requires that much care. Just light, and fertilizer for some high needs ones. You may need to trim them occasionally.
Once your sand is washed and settled, it will settle after stirred quickly. With a gravel vacc you just have to hold it close enough to pick up debris but not sand :)