Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-12-2012, 11:18 PM   #1 
freemike

Progress on my NPT...

Went out and got some Anacharis to start my NPT. Looking to add a java fern and something to do some "carpeting" in the middle next. Oh yeah I also got snails with them. Will the ammonia that is cycling the tanks kill them? (Would like to get rid of them) But here is some pics.
Attached Images

freemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 06:34 PM   #2 
MaisyDawgThirteen

That looks great! :D What kind of snails are they?
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 06:40 PM   #3 
kfryman

Usually a NPT refers to a naturally planted tank, not just live plants. It involves creating the closest thing to an actually ecosystem.

It looks nice, just bare, or bare as of now since you are getting more plants. The java fern should be tied to a rock or something as sand won't hold it because you can't bury the rhizome. Also the carpet with java fern, if you are talking about the low growing carpet that won't happen as java fern grows pretty tall leaves if given the chance.

What are the type of lights and fertilizations are you planning on using?
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 07:50 PM   #4 
freemike

Ahh I see well I thought it meant just planted with live plants lol. I'm nub, yep. Didn't mean to mislead anyone here just didn't fully understand the meaning of NPT. I was going to secure the java fern to a rock. I was going to stick with low light stuff and liquid ferts at the most. I want something that is low growing for the middle I'm just not sure what yet. I was thinking about hornwort in the center but I heard it can be messy.

Last edited by freemike; 03-14-2012 at 07:57 PM.
Old 03-14-2012, 07:52 PM   #5 
freemike

Just small pond snails... I've added an assassin snail. From what I read on the internet these things can survive some pretty rough water and to reach those levels I would have to kill my cycle.
Old 03-14-2012, 08:07 PM   #6 
fishy friend2

Hornwort isn't typically a messy plant unless in undesirable conditions, this plant is very hardy so you will probably not have any problems unless you have salt, or you just introduced the plant into the tank. Also, when you introduce the plant, don't worry if it looses an unusually large amount of leaves, this is completely normal as this plant doesnt typically do well in new conditions, it should bounce back after 1-2 weeks and grow beautifully, it does. Grow quite large though so I would recommend that you aim to have it in the back layers of the tank
fishy friend2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 08:17 PM   #7 
freemike

I've changed my mind again lol... I found this stuff. http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/p...fullPicture728

Any thoughts?
Old 03-14-2012, 08:21 PM   #8 
fishy friend2

It's a great plant to keep, you should put it in the foreground to give it a carpet affect. It is very stunning when in the right conditions, I wouldn't recommend it in low light though as it doesn't grow as well
fishy friend2 is offline   Reply With Quote