Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-13-2012, 01:09 AM   #1 
lionbetta

Newbie, Sick Fish?!

Hello everyone,
I'm pretty new to pet fish and i've started to take a passion to them and am worried about my new betta. i originally purchased two but after doing some research i realized i would need to upgrade tanks. i ended up givingone to my dad and kept one for myself. My betta is now in a 10 gal tank, heater, filtered, air bubbled, and planted. I used tap water with betta care solution. My betta was like this when purchased but being new and all i didnt know if the head was supposed to look like it does. His tankmates are two cory's and a clown pleco. They all get along and havent seemed to be stressed much. ive had them for a few weeks now and am starting too get worried. Can anyone help me?
Attached Images

lionbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 01:28 AM   #2 
LittleNibbles93

Your betta's fine, its just his natural coloring and he looks quite healthy, and very pretty.

Sometimes they're faces or colors will change if sick, but they usually show other signs of illness when that happens. In this case, since you say he's doing fine, and didn't say anything changing about his face, its just his natural color.
LittleNibbles93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 01:33 AM   #3 
lionbetta

Thanks! I was getting worried, but he's doing great and is active. I have a mirror in the back that he goes and flares towards a few times out of the day otherwise he's swimming near the front glass. Would you recommend anything as far as tank mates? i feel that the tank is a little empty?
Old 03-13-2012, 01:46 AM   #4 
LittleNibbles93

As far as tank mates go I'm not really sure. I don't have any tank mates for my betta's except for a Chinese Algae Eater in my 10g sorority (who seems to think he's a betta as well)
LittleNibbles93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 01:58 AM   #5 
MollyJean

It's good he doesn't go back to the mirror and flare too often. Really, it should be a once in a while thing, not something you leave on the tank at all times. It can stress them. Remember, they're perceived an enemy when they see themselves in the mirror, and the reaction, the flaring, is in preparation for fighting. It's a way to scare another male.

Aside from that, he looks healthy and very pretty. I love how dark the ends of his fins are compared to his body.
MollyJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 03:03 AM   #6 
Captain Jim Dandy

I like him! I agree-- his coloring is pretty remarkable. He seems to have that kingly,lionlike, solitary pride some have.
Captain Jim Dandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 01:39 AM   #7 
lionbetta

Well thank you all. If he could speak im sure he'd be flattered. The funny thing is I actually got him from WalMart, thus before knowing many of the problems that come from the fish there. I feel pretty lucky to know he looks like a great fish.
Old 03-14-2012, 09:55 AM   #8 
Tikibirds

He looks perfectly fine to me. I "think" his face coloring is called a grizzle but I am not positive. There are so many colors and names for them.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote