Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-13-2012, 01:29 AM   #1 
MachinaSoul

1st Betta, petco "Wild" Doulbe Tail

See avatar.

Got him on March 10th. Transferred him to a 1.8 L tetra Betta bowl with LED light. Currently as you see, the bowl is empty except for him.

I'll get to it later how this is temporary, and I feel that the bowl is terrible.

Transferred him day 2, my filling the bowl with a full bottle of petco Betta water with a little bit of Aqueon Betta Bowl Plus water what have you.

He jumped out of his cup when I went to pour him slowly in, right into the bowl, not even giving me a chance to "bob" him. Quite the attitude. His cup water was quite clean, so that went in with him that day, just to give him more water to float in.

I've feed him 2-3 pellets. I tried flakes, but he doesn't always eat them and then the are left drifting.

My room's heaters are blasting to keep his bowl warm enough right now. Temporary situation that I hope does not fail me.

I'm shocked how much waste he has put out already. Not sure how his water was so clean when I got him.

I changed his water tonight, 50%, using two Poland Spring water bottles and some of the liquid Betta Bowl plus, and plan to upgrade his tank after work today/tomorrow.

He seemed to be tapping the sides of the bowl as if to alert to me that I had to do it, or that he's just upset about there being nothing to do.

Heater, thermometer, 5 gallon tank, white or black sand, hopefully a filter; I plan to purchase the upgrades tomorrow after seeing how ridiculous he soiled the water.

I ordered him a silicon anemone decoration and a mud hut decoration.

My hopes are to get that done this week without accidentally harming or offing him in the process.

He was the only one like him that I found in my local petco (9 or so miles away). They had yellow/translucent, some dark moons, your typical red and blues, but he had the stand out colors IMO.

No name yet. He actually appears to be "wild" colored, as despite seeming blue with the red accent, I see turquoise in certain lighting, as well as purple, though that is likely the mixture of the blue and red in his pigments. Could just be my eyes playing tricks on me.

Thanks for the information available so far!

I'm planning that if the 5 gallon works out with everything above, that I will add in some kind of bottom feeder fish and some marimo moss balls, that I've also been reading forum posts here about both.

I'll report back after the 5 gallon transfer, and hope I don't mess it up in the process, or find him leaping too soon into the new tank when I have it ready for him (crazy bugger).
MachinaSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 12:44 PM   #2 
Luimeril

'wild' coloration is, imo, black with a bit of blue and red in the fins, like my Plakat, Lulu:

your DT looks to be just a red and blue multi. :B kinda like my DTHM, Twitch! :D
your boy certainly is beautiful. :B
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 01:31 PM   #3 
MrVampire181

Wild is not very flashy because it would make them easy targets. Your boy is a blue/red multi color.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 05:33 PM   #4 
MachinaSoul

Thank you for clearing the color up for me. I should have put more ? after the color assumption.

Thank you for commenting. I'll tell him people think he's pretty.

Just got back, he's still kicking, so seems like a good idea to run out and get that upgrade now.

Here are better, bigger shots...

It is difficult to tell at times, but he seems to have Green/Turquoise, speckled in there, closer to before the tails start.

I think I'm gonna call him, Roy. Roy G. Biv, but not too sold with it yet.
Old 03-13-2012, 05:46 PM   #5 
Bombalurina

I hate those bowls so much. :( He's going to love his upgrade. :)

Just for the future - don't use bottled water for water changes. Tap water with water conditioner (when you run out of Aqueon, get Prime) is the best thing to use. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 08:11 PM   #6 
Luimeril

:B yep. blue and red multi, just like Twitch! only, Twitch is more... purple. :V
Old 03-13-2012, 09:08 PM   #7 
MachinaSoul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombalurina View Post
I hate those bowls so much. :( He's going to love his upgrade. :)
Yeah, when I realized how small it was, it bothered me. However, I figure it isn't terrible if I find I need to, for any reason, clean the 10 gallon entirely out, and have a temporary spot for him.

Needless to say I got my 10 Gallon tonight. Also 10lbs of petco's white sand, a properly sized tank filtration unit, heater, and thermometer.

I checked his current water temp in the small bowl, and he's good for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombalurina View Post
Just for the future - don't use bottled water for water changes. Tap water with water conditioner (when you run out of Aqueon, get Prime) is the best thing to use. :)
I'm using bottled because I do not have city tap water, and it is not Distilled or RO water (Poland Spring). My house water is well water, and very hard because of that fact. There is however, a natural fresh water spring at the park by me within 5 minutes drive, unfiltered underground spring. I just would like to test that water fully before I even consider using it purely. Otherwise, I have to head to a friend's house and fill up jugs with their tap water... which seems a little odd to do.

I'd like to move him tonight, but I will need to hit the park up tomorrow to fill some jugs at the spring, and am waiting on two decor to arrive in the mail between this week and next. I bought 3 Gallons of Poland, so I think maybe mix it with the water from the park's spring, not sure yet.

Came back on here to go over the tank prep thread again.

Not ideal, but he'll be waiting in the small bowl a little longer. :(

Last edited by MachinaSoul; 03-13-2012 at 09:11 PM.
Old 03-13-2012, 09:09 PM   #8 
Bombalurina

How hard is very hard? Bettas are pretty good at adjusting...
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 09:38 PM   #9 
Luimeril

i'm on well water, and my bettas do just fine in it. :B worst that'll happen is, his fins may curl a bit. nothing too bad. they usually adjust pretty well to it.
Old 03-13-2012, 09:53 PM   #10 
MachinaSoul

I would need a water test kit to tell you spot on. However, I know our house system uses salt softening, but particular family members complain about the salt prices, in a system dating back to the 60's most likely. We had a well pump failure a year or two ago. For a while it poured out black. We don't drink it, -ever, neither before nor after the pump fail. I don't want to try my luck with it. White clothes tint rust brown. If the systems were clearly maintained in this house, the water should be on par with city tap, but because it is not, it is just a bad idea to me.

Regarding the statement of being good at adjusting, he seems to be fine with Poland Spring that I used to change his water the last time, as I didn't notice any problems with him adapting to it. He's been just as active, so I'm assuming (dangerous, I know), that the Poland Spring will be fine, at least for the time being.

I could mix the 3 Gallons of Poland Spring and my house water, but without water testing materials, sounds far riskier than just the Poland Spring.

The park spring water is clear, and I can taste the difference between it and bottled to know it has more minerals. I just don't know the levels, nor if they will change over time to trust it as a stable and reliable source.

Last edited by MachinaSoul; 03-13-2012 at 09:56 PM.