Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-13-2012, 10:12 PM   #11 
emeraldsky
Member
 
emeraldsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
They do have front legs o.o
Hmm where was your guy housed when you got him? It's possible that if he was with other axies they could have nommed his feet. Do you know how old he is? How big is he?

Axolotls will most likely never morph without outside help but I've heard of them morphing before in incredibly bad water conditions
emeraldsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 01:44 AM   #12 
Gizmothefreaky
Member
 
Gizmothefreaky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Spokane, Wa.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekoimaiden View Post
I thought the adults would need like a 50 gal or something? Anyways, my house is too warm for them. I have to use a fan to keep my goldfish tank under 80F in the summer. When I move to a cooler area I'm going to have a salamander room in the basement. ^-^
Ah, yeah, they like coooold water. Like goldies XD
I hope you get that room set up, sounds cool!!
And, like another poster said, they only need at most 15-20 gallons as adults. But my kid is only like... four inches long. XD He has a thirty to himself though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emeraldsky View Post
Axolotls only need 20 gallons as adults, they turn into lumps when theyre older :P


Congrats!
I have three axolotls myself, yours is a very pretty wildtype it looks like ;)
Toothless gets a thirty gllon to himself. X3 Lucky boy!
Yup, he is a wild type, and just a baby. i love him to death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
I thought they had front legs? He just has stumps.. is it cause he's a baby?

I've also heard that on extremely rare occasions it can actually turn into a full on salamander o-o Probably doesn't happen in an aquarium where there is no chance to go on land though.. I could be wrong also :p
He does have front legs, but one of them got eaten by the other axolotl in the tank where he was living... It is almost fully grown back though, he jus needs to form the toes! X3

They dont morf unless they are chemically induced to do so, and that usually results in a very short lived animal. :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luimeril View Post
oh, i adore these things. i want an albino one. :B they're just so cute, always smiling! <3
I want to get an albino as well and name it Ruth, like from the Dragon Riders of Pern books.... So that i will have Toothless and Ruth, my two favorite dragons. :3

Quote:
Originally Posted by emeraldsky View Post
They do have front legs o.o
Hmm where was your guy housed when you got him? It's possible that if he was with other axies they could have nommed his feet. Do you know how old he is? How big is he?

Axolotls will most likely never morph without outside help but I've heard of them morphing before in incredibly bad water conditions
He has a nubby, it was nommed by the leusistic Axxie in the tank with him at the store unfortunately. :( But all he needs now is to reform the toes and he will be complete! XD

I dont know his age, but he is only about four inches long. havent properly measured him though, just eyeballed it. XD I suppose i could call up the pet store and ask if they know how old he is, but i doubt they would.

Of course i am calling it 'he' and it could very well be a 'she', we wont know for a while yet. XD
Gizmothefreaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 02:58 AM   #13 
Karebear13
Member
 
Karebear13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
omg so cute I totally want one now I have been on youtube all day looking at them
Karebear13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 09:26 AM   #14 
Olympia
TFK Moderator
 
Olympia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Kingston, Ontario
They ate his leg? o.o is it safe for him to have a buddy? Or was that just like pet store overcrowding conditions?
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 10:33 AM   #15 
bettalover2033
Member
 
bettalover2033's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: New York
Ive wanted one of these for so long! I dont know where I can get one of these!

It's so adorable! Make sure you take a ton more pictures! I love the face. They always look like they're smiling.

Anyone know a good place to get one or two of these guys?
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 10:45 AM   #16 
Karebear13
Member
 
Karebear13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Dang I heard they were in illegal in California :( ruin my morning Does anyone know if I can get one with some type of permit?

Yes please post more pics!
Karebear13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 10:57 AM   #17 
Gizmothefreaky
Member
 
Gizmothefreaky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Spokane, Wa.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karebear13 View Post
omg so cute I totally want one now I have been on youtube all day looking at them
Lol they are just as addictive as bettas, but tons more expensive! This is the cheapest one i found in town at $32.00!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
They ate his leg? o.o is it safe for him to have a buddy? Or was that just like pet store overcrowding conditions?
Axolotls are actually cannibalistic until they are about six inches long, so it wasn't crowded, the other guy just got hungry. Lol! Once he is an adult, i can introduce another adult and they should be fine, but these guys can fully regenerate lost limbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettalover2033 View Post
Ive wanted one of these for so long! I dont know where I can get one of these!

It's so adorable! Make sure you take a ton more pictures! I love the face. They always look like they're smiling.

Anyone know a good place to get one or two of these guys?
Lol, i got mine at an lps, you can try ordering one online. Don't know any sites though, sorry. ^^;

I plan on taking loads of pictures though, so no worries!!
Gizmothefreaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 11:22 AM   #18 
emeraldsky
Member
 
emeraldsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karebear13 View Post
Dang I heard they were in illegal in California :( ruin my morning Does anyone know if I can get one with some type of permit?

Yes please post more pics!

Axolotls are kind of weird in California (I live there), they go between illegal and legal all the time, it just depends on the tiger salamander population since the reason they are illegal is if they are released into the wild, they breed together and raise hybrids which are sterile and slowly wipes out the tiger salamander.

I have 3 axolotls which I got from a LFS/craigslist. You just have to be lucky in finding them c:

and no permit, its either illegal or legal depending on how the government feels~
emeraldsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 11:28 AM   #19 
Luimeril
Member
 
Luimeril's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by emeraldsky View Post
Axolotls are kind of weird in California (I live there), they go between illegal and legal all the time, it just depends on the tiger salamander population since the reason they are illegal is if they are released into the wild, they breed together and raise hybrids which are sterile and slowly wipes out the tiger salamander.

I have 3 axolotls which I got from a LFS/craigslist. You just have to be lucky in finding them c:

and no permit, its either illegal or legal depending on how the government feels~
that's just crazy. o-o i mean... i get why, but it's still crazy. why don't they just..... breed tiger sals to reintroduce into the wild? :I
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 11:42 AM   #20 
Olympia
TFK Moderator
 
Olympia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Kingston, Ontario
So it changes? If it becomes illegal and you already own one, do you get to keep it? o.o
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Any Axolotl owners here? kathstew The Lounge 11 06-24-2011 06:08 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.