Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-14-2012, 11:50 AM   #21 
thekoimaiden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luimeril View Post
that's just crazy. o-o i mean... i get why, but it's still crazy. why don't they just..... breed tiger sals to reintroduce into the wild? :I
I've actually done research on this exact thing: conservation aquaculture/captive breeding programs. It's not that simple that you just breed more and release them. The tiger salamanders are declining because of environmental factors, not lack of breeding (but breeding with axolotls isn't helping). So until the problems with their habitat are fixed, releasing captive-bred individuals is just wasting government money.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 12:23 PM   #22 
Karebear13

Quote:
Originally Posted by emeraldsky View Post
Axolotls are kind of weird in California (I live there), they go between illegal and legal all the time, it just depends on the tiger salamander population since the reason they are illegal is if they are released into the wild, they breed together and raise hybrids which are sterile and slowly wipes out the tiger salamander.

I have 3 axolotls which I got from a LFS/craigslist. You just have to be lucky in finding them c:

and no permit, its either illegal or legal depending on how the government feels~
so there is still hope? what part of California are you from? Do you happen to know if they are currently illegal?
Karebear13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 01:43 PM   #23 
Gizmothefreaky

All i know about that is that they are legal here. XD sorry that im no help. ^^;
Gizmothefreaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 01:52 PM   #24 
emeraldsky

@Olympia
Yep

But its smart not to go flashing them around since I cant really prove that I got them when they were legal.

@Karebear13
Im in central california and so far as I know, they are illegal right now. Theres a place i know of that has them seasonally, but I dont know when they get them in.

Your best bet would be to call fish and game and ask if they are right now.

And theres hope, I got 2 of mine when they were illegal off craigslist, you just have to keep an eye open.
emeraldsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 06:36 PM   #25 
Gizmothefreaky

Got a couple more pictures!! I feed him bloodworms and newt pellets, but was trying some beef heart.... He didnt know what to do wit it. XD The snails ended up eating it over night.

EDIT: Yes there are a lot of pellets... I accidentally dumped too many in. But he didnt eat them all anyway, so i let the snails eat them... ^^; he usually only gets between ten and fifteen pellets at a feeding, and one whole cube of blood worms a day. I am pretty sure this is a good amount, as he eats all of it by night time. But if its too much i need to know. There really isnt anything on feeding amounts, just foods.

Last edited by Gizmothefreaky; 03-15-2012 at 06:40 PM.
Old 03-15-2012, 06:57 PM   #26 
Karebear13

You are making me so jealous!!! So cute love the coloring :) You should post a video when you get a chance
Karebear13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 08:10 PM   #27 
emeraldsky

Hey do you have pebbles in your tank?

I can't really see the pictures on my phone ^^;

If they are, you should take them out, axolotls have a nasty habit of eating stones then dying from the pebble blocking them up
emeraldsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 11:07 PM   #28 
Gizmothefreaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karebear13 View Post
You are making me so jealous!!! So cute love the coloring :) You should post a video when you get a chance
Lol!! I can try. XD

Quote:
Originally Posted by emeraldsky View Post
Hey do you have pebbles in your tank?

I can't really see the pictures on my phone ^^;

If they are, you should take them out, axolotls have a nasty habit of eating stones then dying from the pebble blocking them up
No pebbles, what i think you are seeing are actually the infestation off snails i have. XD
All my tanks are sand bottoms. :)
Old 03-23-2012, 07:03 AM   #29 
Sheldon31

Ooooh lush! I love axolotls wish I had the room and time for one. If I ever get hold of a large tank I will convince other half to get me one :)
Sheldon31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 08:39 AM   #30 
Jessicatm137

(S)he's so cute! Perfect name!
Jessicatm137 is offline   Reply With Quote