Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-13-2012, 07:51 PM   #1 
OMGemily

crowntails and "king bettas?"

so i went to petco/smart the other day to show my boyfriend the bettas they had and to explain to him why ive vowed to never shop at petco again and i saw a bowl labeled "king betta" and he was HUGE! is this actually a different type of betta or is it just petco labeling him as big because hes grown up? i didnt notice his tail so i dont know what shape it was.
also, are crowntails smaller than other bettas? most of the ones i see are smaller, and at petsmart, theyre on their own shelf away from the rest of the male bettas and they cost more. are they actually a smaller breed or is it just the ones ive seen?
OMGemily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 08:02 PM   #2 
vilmarisv

Yes, King bettas are another type of bettas and they are larger than your "regular" bettas.

Crowntails are no different in size than the halfmoons and plakats, you might've seen a very young fish.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 08:05 PM   #3 
OMGemily

Antione seems really small compared to most of the fish i see. is there anyway to tell roughly how old they are by their size?
Old 03-13-2012, 08:12 PM   #4 
Luimeril

'kings' are just very large Plakats. i, personally, don't think they're anything special. >.>;
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 08:12 PM   #5 
LionCalie

What I've heard and believe is that "King" Bettas are really Half-Giant Plakats. Labeling them as Kings is just Petco's attempt at making more money off them. Obviously they are not true Giants, because those get even bigger! They definitely are larger than your average Betta. Some people think they are just old Plakats, but I disagree. I currently have one named Brutus who I believe is under a year old. He is roughly 2 1/2 inches in length with a very thick body.

Here is a video of him swimming around-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPbwY7-oa2E
LionCalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 08:22 PM   #6 
OMGemily

i couldnt believe how big he was, both crown tails ive had have been tiny, their bodies look like tadpoles from above so i had never seen a betta that big. i can believe they get bigger than that! also should my bettas body be roughly the same width from head to caudal fin? bacause like i explained above it looks like a tad pole. his head is thicker and then right after the gills he suddenly gets thin and is thin to his caudal fin
Old 03-13-2012, 08:25 PM   #7 
OMGemily

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionCalie View Post
Here is a video of him swimming around-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPbwY7-oa2E
he just looks really chubby XD haha its cute
Old 03-13-2012, 08:28 PM   #8 
Luimeril

my Lulu has always been bigger than most females. i'd have to catch her on a good day, up against her tank wall, and measure her one day. she's a Plakat... if i'm not mistaking, Plakats are bigger than most?

calling them half-giants isn't... i think someone's bred them to a giant and got regular-sized Plakats before. if they were half-giants, wouldn't' that mean part of the spawn would have been true giants?
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 08:38 PM   #9 
MrVampire181

They're just big. No giant genes are involved with "Kings". Giant bettas are HUGE and I have seen them in person when I got fish from my transhipper. Kings are under half the size of a true, grown, giant betta.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 09:05 PM   #10 
LionCalie

Well, color me surprised. I guess Brutus is just a big guy then.

Where did you find that information? Just wondering as I always heard Petco was tight lipped about the Kings genetics.

Last edited by LionCalie; 03-13-2012 at 09:09 PM.
LionCalie is offline   Reply With Quote