Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-12-2012, 04:12 AM   #91 
Bombalurina

More pictures!

1) Stage two of the evolution of the 16 gallon. The two gups passed first, followed by Athena. I re-did the tank and added a few plants. You can see how the others have grown in. At this stage I think I just had ember tetras and panda cories - I hadn't bought my sorority girls at that point.

2) Artemis (green), Thetis (just behind her) and Psyche (above) in the bag when I bought them. They were so pale!

3) Thetis investigating a snail. I don't think she was impressed. Not sure who that is hiding in the greenery behind her. I can't believe how grey she looked! Before she died, she was the most amazing blue, green and red.

4) Stage 3 of the tank! Sadly, by the time of these photos being taken, Thetis had died. You can see Circe at the very top of the tank, Hera beneath her, Medea's face under Hera's body, then Persephone, then Artemis. As you can see, the tank is totally overgrown. I'm having a massive problem keeping on top of the rapid plant growth. I trim it every week and by the end of the week, it looks like that again. The java fern on top of the driftwood cave in the middle has gone totally mad. So's the hornwort.

5) You can see how much Medea (blue, RIP) and Hera have coloured up since I bought them.

6) Artemis too. I don't have a good picture of Circe or Persephone, my MG, sadly, or of my beautiful Psyche (RIP).
Attached Images

Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 04:36 AM   #92 
Bombalurina

Now for my other fish. :p Hope you guys don't mind all the pictures. I thought I'd go through the trauma of resizing and posting whilst I was in the mood.

1) I found a good one of Persephone! It doesn't show her pretty colours as much as it could, though. :( However, you can see one of my Endler's tails rather well, and one of my Embers.

2&3) Pretty Odysseus and his pretty tail.

4) One of my beautiful killifish, Titus. He's a male fundulopanchax gardneri gardneri. So is Andronicus, but his bottom fins are both blue. They have the cutest faces with huge smiles.

5) My peppered cory Denning MR and my albino Kirby J. The bronze, Heydon J, is off hiding somewhere.

Sadly, none of these photos seem to show their true colours really well. I have lots of photos of the Endlers, but none of their beautiful bright blue patches show up, and they swim so fast they just look like orange blurs, which is a shame, because they are stunning. http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?...rs-livebearer/ They look kind of like the first male in this thread.

Next time I get in a crazy photo mood, I'll post the rat cage and their new photos. During the winter hols I'll make a thread about our Queensland holiday, complete with saltwater crocodiles, scuba diving on the Great Barrier Reef, and Australia's cuddlier critters.

I'm also going to re-do my tank over the winter holidays - does anyone have any suggestions for some different plants, or most especially, different ways to arrange it? I'll try and get a photo of it looking a bit tidier. I've racked my brains about it but I can never seem to get away from this central arrangement - mostly because there is a driftwood 'cave' covered in java fern that really can't go anywhere else!

I'll also try and get some photos of Demeter and Cassandra, and my new boy, who sadly won't be staying with me, despite his beauty. :( I'm fairly sure he is a boy due to his bubblenests, aggression, lack of oviposter, long, pointy anal fin, thick ventrals and relatively large beard. :( So sad, because he is a beauty!
Attached Images

Old 05-12-2012, 02:16 PM   #93 
MaisyDawgThirteen

I love the pictures! :D

There is a guppy who looks exactly like your deformed one in my LPS. :( He's been there for a couple months.
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 06:36 PM   #94 
Bombalurina

I always feel sorry for the deformed ones. I bought another guppy, Lavender, not long before Hepzibah died, because she was all deformed too. Unfortunately, although her deformity didn't look as bad as Hep's, it was obstructing her digestive system and she died two nights after I bought her. :( I'd get him. ;)

Workworkwork. We start week 11 on Monday. I'm halfway through week 10 of Property reading, I have my friend's notes for Week 9 of Lit. I have an essay due in a week, a Lit presentation in a week, and exams on the 7th and 8th of June. I am so very not ready.

Happy Mother's Day to any Australian mothers on here!

Since Thursday not this week but the week before, I have read all three Hunger Games, all 4 Protector of the Small and 4 and a half Malory Towers. I'll have finished the fifth one by this afternoon.

This afternoon I need to clean out my quarantine tank. Might do the 16 gallon, too. Any ideas for a rescape, guys? It's such a difficult shape to work with. Any input appreciated.

I need to take a Cold and Flu tablet every morning, because whenever I look down to read my textbook, my nose starts to run. I'm not really that sick, but the constant nosing is really annoying.

What would you do with $70 million (the interest would be taxed, but the capital is non-taxable here)?
Old 05-13-2012, 02:41 AM   #95 
Bombalurina

Whinge. Grump. I'm just so bored with the layout of my tank! It has been essentially the same way ever since I set it up - path through the middle, running under my driftwood cave. I really want to change it, but I feel bad depriving my cories of that cave.

Some one tell me what to do with it!
Old 05-13-2012, 07:08 AM   #96 
Shirleythebetta

what would I do with 70 Mil? I would invest 10 Mil and use whatever I needed to open up at least two or three of my businesses I want to start. Then I would open a college fund for my neices so they have no excuse other than not wanting to go. Probably start a local charity for homeless people to get job training and hopefully placement in my local big city. There are people sleeping on the street along main roads right now there. I would also try to get a program to try to help fight the use of drugs and alchohol in that same town. Alchohol is legal but it's just as damaging as crack in my opinion if it's over used.
I don't know what to do with my tanks yet either. I am upgrading my sorority to a 20 gallon long and probably putting in the ten girls I have now with 5 cories? I don't know yet but I have no idea what I am going to do with the layout. I also have a gender bender betta in a 2.5 currently until he/she can be figured out. Good luck with school and aquascaping.
Shirleythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 05:55 PM   #97 
Bombalurina

Thanks, Shirley. Good use of the money! I love spending money I don't have on things like that. ;) There's so many possibilities with that much money! I'd love to run a bunch of charities, but I'd also like to start a boarding school for underpriveleged students. I'd take some that could pay, to keep it funded, and for the other half I would scout rural schools, native schools and schools from low socio-economic areas for students that wanted to get out of their area and make something of themselves through education, and grant heaps of scholarships. I'd love to do something in 3rd world countries like that, too, because education can change lives so dramatically - opening a college for women to teach things like book-keeping, secretarial work, nursing, teaching etc, and providing a platform for those who want to doctoring or engineering.

Glad to hear I'm not the only one lacking in inspiration. :p I think I may have figured out what to do with my driftwood cave, at least...maybe if I prop it on it's side it can hide the redundant space under my filter. I might turn it into an NPT in preparation for the NPT I want to do when I get the 23 gallon. I know that I want lots of elodea and ambulia, some lacefern, rotala wallachi, ludwigia repens and hornwort as my stem plants. Some pygmy chain sword and java moss in the foreground, with anubias and java fern in the mid-ground.

Now I just need it to be holidays so I can put my plan into action!

Broke it off with my boyfriend last night, which was a bit depressing. We've been going out nearly 18 months, but he started honours this year and I'm working harder than ever at my degree, and we just never see each other.

Today I will finish week 10 of Property and move on to Litigation. Despite Lit being a billion times more boring, that's my next piece of law assessment, so I should probably get caught up. I'll send my notes to my friends and see if I can trade for some of theirs. Friends are invaluable.

In an attempt to fall asleep quickly and without thinking lots last night, I finished Malory Towers book 6, then read Song of the Lioness Book 1. By that time it was 12:30, but my back was murdering me so I didn't manage to sleep until well gone one am anyway. I shall pay for that today, no doubt.
Old 05-13-2012, 06:24 PM   #98 
Shirleythebetta

It's fun to dream. Ahh... And yea education has changed my life so much and I will say for the better. I even lost friends and people started to act differently. I suppose I will take it though. I have been more respected by those with degrees of their own which is a nice confidence boost. I like knowing I can hold an intellectual conversation with someone with a Master's. I would rather have people around me that are confident. If me getting an education is intimidating rather than an inspiration to them they aren't worth being around. I am the same person I was without an education just a little more book smart than I used to be. This is why my sis in law got into phlebotomy, I tweaked her competitive drive when her mom started praising my University work. Further your education people and stop making excuses! There is always a way.
Shirleythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 06:03 PM   #99 
Bombalurina

Dreaming is what gets me through my education. ;)

Yesterday I cleaned the QT tank and put "Hippolyta" in a bag floating in the sorority tank to keep him out of harm's way. My goodness, he went nuts. He spent the entire time in a crazy flare and I was worried he would bust a fin. He tried to bite Circe through the bag, and then did it again to a female Endler. Persephone was hilarious, though. She wasn't in the least scared of him, but she kept flirting. She had all her fins out, was doing a crazy wiggle dance (not flaring, though) and had really strong breeding bars. I couldn't help but laugh, picturing them together, because she is two and a half times as long and 3 times as fat as he is.

I also did a partial change, just 2.5 gallons, on the 16 gallon, to vacuum the substrate. I think I'm going to go back to doing that whenever I can, since my shrimp and cories have started to mess it up again. I will probably also release Demeter into the main tank tonight. Cassandra will stay in QT with the boy until her fins are healed (don't worry, he's in a breeder box).

As far as the boy goes, I'm not going to rename him because I know I'll just get too attached. I have a potential home with him, with a lady who keeps her male bettas in 5 litre breeder boxes in her 4ft tank. It's certainly a better situation than his 1/2 litre breeder box in my 5 gal hexy. I'm just worried he'll stress himself massively flaring at the community fish. We'll see how it goes though. If that doesn't work, I have a second home lined up.
The lady who will probably take him bred those two cuties in my avatar. ;) I trust her.

I'm not going to fish club tonight - I'm going to go with my youth group to see Avengers instead. I need a movie. I also need to clip my boys' claws, as they are getting rather long. Squish, Darty and Wibbles keep theirs short with lots of climbing and the like, but the three older boys don't do that, especially poor arthritic Hyde, who just falls over a lot. Sigh. Not looking forward to trimming Darcy. He's a wriggler. I have a feeling I will have to sock him (basically shove him in a sock so he can't move, with just the paw I want to clip hanging out).
Old 05-17-2012, 12:34 AM   #100 
Bombalurina

I was pleasantly surprised. Darcy is actually really good at having his claws clippped. In fact, he was the best in the cage. When he understood that I wanted him to lie still in my hands and let me play with his paws, he relaxed and did exactly that.
He is such a soft, fuzzy, happy, licky, cheerful little bundle of cuteness. Every time I see him I am so glad that he came home with me. He's such a personable little rat!

Despite being on medication, Willoughby's sneezes are not getting better, and D'Artagnan has developed chesty noises. :( Looks like I'll be spending another $80+ on medication within the next week. Still, it's been a month since my last vet visit. They must be missing me.

I can't stop thinking about The Avengers - what a great movie! I fell in love with Loki in Thor, and Avengers did nothing to change that. Also, Tony Stark. Yum.
Joss Whedon is some kind of genius. I really want him and Stephen Moffat to make a movie together.

There is a hole in my gravel vac where the hose connects to the sucky bit (I'm no scientist). Sigh. It's a nuisance, and I don't have time to go and buy a new one.

I haven't cleaned Odysseus for more than a week now. Good thing it's a planted tank and I always do 50% changes, so I can get away with it.

I'm worried about Cassandra. Her spinal deformity is giving her all kinds of swimming problems and I'm really not sure she'll be able to cope with my 16 gallon. I'm also worried about her eating habits. :(

Hmm, Loki.