Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-28-2012, 01:43 AM   #111 
Shirleythebetta

I really think you have an educated opinion on gay marriage. I think the laws in the U.S. have been so strange on this issue in the past. I am against marriage of any kind lately except my own. I am a divorcee and I tell you that you are totally correct on the institution of marriage being trampled upon. I was married too young and divorced a man who was cheating on me in Germany.
I am now married to a wonderful trustworthy man who believes how I do about marriage being sacred. I have made mistakes in my past and I will always be willing to admit it but my life is different now. Anyways, now you have people being married for conveniences like getting tax breaks, staying in the country and the like. I know a woman who has been married three times and is not yet thirty. She wants to divorce him now because he has health issues and cannot perform as she wants to put it the nice way.
I used to think that gay marriage was nothing more than an excuse to get free money from the government until it was still a big issue after the government gave them those rights without marriage. The only thing that bothered me was it was reverse discrimination. Until recently a girlfriend and boyfriend couldn't claim each other on taxes but a gay couple could (Correct me if I am wrong).
To me that is just as wrong as not letting gay couples marry. I don't know but I am glad my opinion was changed on the subject of them making excuses. I feel ignorant now that I look back on it but life is full of lessons. I still don't agree with it because of my religious beliefs but I have no issue with what others do in their home. I have a right not to agree with it as much as they have a right to agree with thier actions. It's none of my business who another person falls in love with. Love is a personal and confusing thing. Who am I to tell them they can't love when they feel it inside? Great post.
about your journal: Chocolate cures all ailments ;)
Shirleythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 07:33 PM   #112 
Bombalurina

Thanks, Shirley. :) I think studying law has influenced my ideas a lot. I believe in the seperation of church and state, but that works both ways. Just because something is legal doesn't mean it is in the eyes of God, and vice versa. I'm not sure why Christians object to gay marriage as a legal concept - just because they are married in law doesn't mean they are married in the eyes of the Lord. Similarly, there is an unmarried couple at my church with two children, who love each other very dearly. Legally, they aren't married (they can't afford a wedding, and they want to wait until they can do it properly) but I'm pretty sure they are married in the eyes of God. My point is, if you don't believe God will recognise gay marriage, why are you bothered about the law recognising it? Those are two totally seperate issues.

Hope I didn't just go and spoil your opinion of my opinion. :p

I just gave one of the Pesticles a grape for using the litter tray. He shoved it into his mouth and bounced gleefully off. So cute. I love my boys.

The Cheezburger network has changed its website layout slightly! Confusion ensues!

I woke up this morning with a burning desire to draw metal bettas.

I didn't get into trouble on Monday about guitar after all, because I managed to shut my fingers in a door and couldn't play. It was an accident, but it was nevertheless well-timed. On the downside, it hurt like a poke in the eye, and I kept catching the bruised parts on everything - my desk, more doors, a drawer, a cupboard...it never rains but it pours, as they say.

My mum is going to England in a few weeks to spend time with her mum. I'm quite jealous, because we haven't been back since Christmas 07. That's a long time to not see your grandparents in. More than that, I really miss the country. Australia is great and all, and I don't want to live in England again at the moment, but it is still such a part of my childhood. I miss the castles and the heaths, white swans, autumn, frost, crocuses, the pasty shop and the ice-cream shop on the pier, the mud, trees that you could actually climb (gum trees make terrible climbing trees), squirrels, birds that twitter at dawn instead of screeching. I've been in Australia 11 years now.

WOW. What is with the ads today? Right next to this text box, I have an ad for preventing separation, one for promoting it, and one encouraging guys to date married women. What is the world coming to?

I'm going to go to my final English lecture today instead of my property tutorial. It's not a strategically good decision, but I have great affection for my English class and this week, for funsies, we are doing a movie in which Tom Hiddleston acts. Rrrrr. Miss Austen Regrets. I haven't done the reading for Property anyway. I'll get together with my friends to practice some exam papers.

My problem is, I'm so excited about the holidays that I'm not studying well. Stupid me.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 08:52 PM   #113 
Shirleythebetta

You didn't at all, actually you just gave me a good memory of my grandfather who passed away a year ago next month. He was a hardcore Christian and read the bible constantly. I was married once before like I said and I was depressed because you are only supposed to be married once. I struggled with it a lot and prayed and prayed. My grandfather told me this, "You were not married to him. God recognizes marriage of two hearts and two souls." He told me that I was not really married to my first husband in the eyes of God because we were not truly bonded to one another. I personally think that is the most important thing. Although we were married on paper my husband now is my first husband in my heart. we are bonded for life. I just think that the government gets to involved in family matters. Just like with the whole child discipline issue. I don't mind if they stick their nose in child abuse but they have no right to tell a parent how to correct thier kid. Just like marriage, if it is affecting all parties involved like abuse does by all means step in. I don't stick my nose where is doesn't belong in a persons personal issues. I don't agree with gay marriage but it isn't an issue I am ready to climb a tower and start shooting for. I am not going to tell someone who they can and can't love. My mother-in-law has a view I thought was interesting on it. She says, "the bible says we can judge the act but not the person" I don't know if that is true but it's an interesting concept.
In law school did they require you to take electives that were strange to you? I am wondering because I am in business and I have taken marriage and family and soon to be psychology. I understand psychology because in business you have to use a little to do what you need to do but marriage and family? I have only been in school two years so I haven't learned all the weirdness yet.
Old 05-30-2012, 05:19 PM   #114 
Bombalurina

It's not really an elective if they require you to take it...we have the core courses: tort law, criminal law, public law, that kind of thing (we have two compulsory courses per semester for the first 2.5 years, then one compulsory course and one elective per semester for the remaining 2.5 years). The electives can be whatever we choose. So far I've structured my timetable so that I've focussed on getting my compulsories out of the way, so I've only done one elective. It was Health Law and Bioethics, which was brilliant. My other two courses every semester make up my Arts courses. For English, which is my major, you just have two first year courses (you can choose from a small range) and then whatever courses you like, as long as they are from the English faculty or a related school. :)

Had my final Jane Austen lecture and tutorial yesterday. It was super fun. We talked about adaptions and films etc, including Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. In tutorials we discussed the perfect man of that era and why the books are still so popular. I forgot to mention that I am currently reading a terrible yet brilliant-in-its-terribleness Pride and Prejudice fan fiction: Mr Darcy, Vampyre. Yep, you can guess how that goes. Apparently there are more than 70 P&P published fan fictions, and more than 100 Jane Austen fan fictions total. I'm going to miss that class.

After lecture I met up with my sister, had coffee, got recruited for a modelling class, changed degrees into a new programme (same degree, different structure), bought Batman: Year One, and borrowed some Jane Austen library books.

The modelling class was actually really fun, so I'll stick with it. The teacher is the cutest Korean girl (professional model), but her English is limited so another girl translates for her. The girls in the class are all really lovely. It started with standing against a wall for about 5 minutes to get our posture right, and then walking, breaking the walk down into steps. I only fell over all the way once, and I had a table to brace myself on, which was good. Hopefully this class will improve by posture and my balance. It also focuses on self-improvement inside - we talked about our talents and our failings. Thinking of a talent was hard, because I'm kind of a jack-of-all-trades, but I eventually landed on my patience with animals. Thinking of a flaw was just as difficult, because I have way too many to choose from. :p
Old 05-30-2012, 10:31 PM   #115 
Shirleythebetta

Okay, makes sense. Mines a private University so they let you drop any of the electives but the catch is, you can only join another class if their is room. If not you don't get the credits and have to make them up. They pick your electives. One of the classes I liked that was mandatory was the Bible study ones. They were interesting and I learned a lot of new things I didn't know.

I used to model years ago. It was kind of fun. I modeled for Cheerios for meetings where they tryed to get investors. I was about 4 and it was runway. I had to carry a box and say "O O Cheerios!" lol. Then I modeled a little when I was a teen but I didn't like it. Especially when I did an outdoor shoot and a guy walked onto the set while the photographer was working and gave me his number! I felt a little creeped out after that. Ew.
Old 06-01-2012, 01:41 AM   #116 
Bombalurina

I don't know if I'll get so pro as to model for Cheerios! Right now I just need to focus on not falling over lots. :p

Work last night was not too bad - the staff who run the desk upstairs are getting thoroughly fed up of that child I hate, and his parents, who refuse to acknowledge his massively poor behaviour, so he might finally get banned. Hope work tonight is not too bad.
My boss was telling me that the other night she was in the club on the poker machines, when a guy who has flirted with me a couple of times came up to her and flirted all night. Apparently I'm too tall for him, which is fine, because he was too short for me, and also fine because he is engaged with two children. Why the heck is he flirting with anybody?
Oh, the perils of being a tall woman. At least at 5'10" I have it easier than my 6'1 1/2" younger sister.
Tom Hiddleston is taller than me. ;)

I finished Mr Darcy, Vampyre last night. It was still awful. I also saw an amusing youtube clip today of Buffy vs Edward Cullen. She kicked his sparkly backside. Damn, he is creepy in the movies. I don't mind him in the books, and I don't mind Robert Pattenson or whatever his name is in Harry Potter, but ew in Twilight.
Still need to see those movies.
Old 06-01-2012, 04:33 AM   #117 
Shirleythebetta

whats wrong with being tall I'm 5'9?
Old 06-02-2012, 05:23 PM   #118 
shadowpony

I feel like a midgit now. Maybe it was holding my grandfather's HUGE spinning rod while he put a hook on mine (stupid bluegill swollowed the hook). The things lik 10 feet long. You tall people dont help.
shadowpony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 08:24 AM   #119 
Shirleythebetta

I'm sorry :( Nothing wrong with being short though! My granny was 4'11
Old 03-31-2013, 12:45 AM   #120 
Bombalurina

So, I've decided to keep going with this after my massive extended absence and subsequent fit of laziness!

What's been happening in my life of late? Well, last night I went to a friend's album launch (everybody on facebook, check out Cromwell!). It was a bunch of fun. It's the first time I've ever been to a club, even though I've been legally able to for 4 years. It's just never appealed - drunk people, bad music, that part of town late at night...anyway, this club was totally different. The music was good (because Cromwell!), people weren't roaring drunk, and it was the kind of club where you sit around tables and have a good chat rather than dance like a...person with fairly liberal moral standards, to put it one way. The whole thing just has a hipsterXold world vibe with all kinds of funky decoration. It also has an older clientele - most clubs seem to cater to the only-just-18 group, but this one was mostly early 20s, up to some people in their 40s, and one old couple.
It just so happens I ended up sat next to a guy who used to work for one of my employers! This is a tiny city. His conversation was interesting, his face was pleasant to observe, and we swapped numbers so it looks like the acquaintance will continue. :)

Outside the club, the other, less classy clubs were beginning to kick out, so there was no shortage of rabble on the streets, but nothing bad happened apart from some strange people trying to talk to me (funny how that stops when I put my motorbike gear on).

I didn't drink a drop, but my head is absolutely splitting today and my throat is raw from trying to hold conversations in that environment, but I don't regret going.

What else has been happening, other than last night?
Well, I've started another sorority after my last one died out. I've lost two girls - one to a tumour, and one who has simply vanished (really upset about that!).
I've been asked out by a Canadian dude, back in December, but I never did manage to find time to go out with him and now he's gone back to Canada.
Over the summer I held down 4 jobs and did summer school. I'm down to 3 now, which is more manageable, but am considering quitting one as I do not enjoy it that much.
I'm now in my final year of udergraduate study! This semester's course of special interest is Animals and the Law. I've made a new friend, which makes me happy.
I've started reading Game of Thrones.
I'm still obsessed with Batman and the Avengers (and Tom Hiddleston).

That's all for now, folks!